Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the flattest trajectory caliber/bullet combo to 300 yards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the flattest trajectory caliber/bullet combo to 300 yards?

So as a forest hunter 300 yards on the pipeline is about as far as I ever see or shoot. I was just wondering whats the flattest shooting caliber bullet combo out to that range? I have a .220 Swift with 40gr bullets that does 4400fps, I think it's 5" of drop to 300 just throwing that out as a starting point.

Do you have specific target in mind (what are you killing?) or just looking flattest bullet to punch paper?

My .270win 130gr at 300 is about 3.75” hold over...I reckon there are certainly flatter rounds and loads...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For deer sized critters it's probably the 6.5 /300 weatherby

Comment

Every hillbilly I know says their 7mm rem mag dont drop at all out to 746 steps.

Comment

257 Weatherby Mag is pretty flat. I shoot 110 gr Accubonds and have it dialed in 3” high at 100 and hold dead on 300 with no apparent drop at all. I held ear hole on a hog at 418 yards and blew his jaw off. Can’t remember what the speeds were but I want to say around 3900. Nothing has walked away yet.

Comment

7.62 Firebird / 7mm Lazzeroni...shoots a 120gr right around 4000 w/ a 5" line of sight to 400yds.

Comment

Combine high ballistic coefficient with screaming velocity, and there’s your answer. 6.5-300 is probably the mathematically right answer, but whether you need that much gun to kill a deer at 300yds is very unlikely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

That's the reason I chose the 165 grain .300 weatherby mag. It is very flat. The 6.5-.300 is too hot and You will burn the barrel up

Comment

Buy a 7mm. No expensive Weatherby ammo and doesnt kick too hard. If Weatherby ammo cost isnt an issue, get a 257wby. Everybody I know with one says its their favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I use Chuck Hawks info for most of my zeroing of my rifles and he has this info on flattest trajectory.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                      Every hillbilly I know says their 7mm rem mag dont drop at all out to 746 steps.
                      Well it’s true!

This made me laugh

Comment

What are you shooting at? My 204 Ruger box says 4" @ 300 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
                          I use Chuck Hawks info for most of my zeroing of my rifles and he has this info on flattest trajectory.
                          thank you, more proof of my .270 performance.

Comment

aI was looking up light weight 270 bullets just a bit ago myself.100 or 110 grain can be screamers and shoot flat a long way.As mentioned above if money isn’t an issue it’s hard to beat a weatherby 257 mag. For long flat shooting

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                              257 Weatherby Mag is pretty flat. I shoot 110 gr Accubonds and have it dialed in 3” high at 100 and hold dead on 300 with no apparent drop at all. I held ear hole on a hog at 418 yards and blew his jaw off. Can’t remember what the speeds were but I want to say around 3900. Nothing has walked away yet.
                              I was thinking .257 Roy with a 100gr Barnes would be the ticket.

Comment

Working...
                              X