Shrinking Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrinking Home?

Clearly, the prolonged sub-freezing temperatures are new to most of us, and our houses too.

I noticed some brand new cracks on my garage ceiling, and my crown molding is separating at the seams in the several areas. What are you seeing? Will it expand and re-settle with warmer temps?

I noticed the same thing too but only on walls against the exterior. Didn’t think that it was from the cold. Patch, paint, and keep an eye on it I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe it was the weight of the snow and I’ve on the roof?

Comment

Got three cracks in the ceiling sheetrock along seams..

Comment

If it gets cold enough the Sheetrock will crack. I have managed properties all over the US and every year when a good artic front settles over the Midwest we get frozen Sheetrock.

Comment

Not sure about sheetrock but I’d bet your crown moulding will expand with normal temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's also due to the lower moisture content of the air. As you warm your air inside, moisture is pulled from the materials in your home, namely wood, causing shrinkage and hence separation and cracking. Happening in my home too.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                It's also due to the lower moisture content of the air. As you warm your air inside, moisture is pulled from the materials in your home, namely wood, causing shrinkage and hence separation and cracking. Happening in my home too.
                This you wood is finally drying out completely

Comment

We haven’t had electricity (heat) ina couple days and I noticed the caulk around the crown molding is separated all over the place.

Comment

Humidifiers may help

Comment

Well come to find out, the op was the least of my worries. Busted pipes over garage!

Comment

You need more moisture in your house. Cold weather sucks it out causing shrinkage.

Comment

So... Hydration fixes shrinkage!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                            So... Hydration fixes shrinkage!!
                            George Costanza had it all wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                              Clearly, the prolonged sub-freezing temperatures are new to most of us, and our houses too.

I noticed some brand new cracks on my garage ceiling, and my crown molding is separating at the seams in the several areas. What are you seeing? Will it expand and re-settle with warmer temps?

It will not only expand when warmer temps return, but those little cracks will become big cracks!

Comment

Working...
                              X