Got my MRI results today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my MRI results today

for my right shoulder. Rotator cuff torn in 3 places. Surgery scheduled for new years eve (gotta get it done before the 1st since I already have my deductible and out of pocket met this year).
    It's been bothering me for most of the year but I've been dealing with it and had steroid shots in it that helped with the pain. I never had an MRI on it until this week.
    I've been able to bow hunt all during archery season and up until about 2 weeks ago. Then I made the mistake of lifting a 10 gal hang on feeder, full of corn of course, over my head to hang on a limb. (The downside to the steroid shot is you forget you shouldn't be doing this stuff when your pain is gone). About halfway over my head and my shoulder popped. It felt like I got shot. So I've been in pretty serious pain ever since and drawing a bow no longer possible. I've now switched back to my rifle until I have surgery. I'm not sure how the recoil is going to feel on my shoulder but I guess I'll find out when I pull the trigger! Lol.
    Dr says 6 weeks in a sling and 6 to 8 months til back to normal as long as I follow thru with all the PT. Could be longer if I don't.
    So who else has had this done and does this timeframe sound about right?
    I mean now I'm going to miss spring fishing and maybe spring Turkey season too? [emoji25]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

not to ruin your Christmas either, however I hear that fix is on the painful side.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I can't say I have had rotator cuff issues, but had a torn labrum in my non-dominate shoulder from a high school injury diving for a ball at first base and landing on it awkwardly. I remember it felt like I had gone 9 innings left handed the next day...that same soreness. That did take about 4 or 5 months to fully recover and probably another couple years to feel 100% normal. The weirdest thing was feeling and hearing random grinding from the anchors they used. No pain, but it was the most unnatural sound that could possibly come from my shoulder.

Other than that, just a debridement in the right shoulder in Dec 2019 from years of baseball. Oddly enough, I was out of the sling in less than 24 hours. Made me wonder why I even needed it, but I was having a hard time working our or lifting weights with it. Feeling great now.

I hope your doc doesn't have to reschedule!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wait a minute! Before you pull the trigger on surgery, has your doctor discussed the possibility of PRP therapy with you? I recently learned that my years of shoulder pain is due to multiple tears in my rotator cuff. Since I’ve luck with PRP in both knees and a torn ligament in my foot, I eschewed both steroid injections and surgery and went straight to Regenerative therapy. It’s been about four weeks now and I’m already beginning to see improvement. And no post-surgical downtime, no physical therapy!

Comment

I broke my shoulder last November and didn't get to hunt. I had surgery mid December to clean out shoulder and repair the soft tissue. I could have probably pulled my bow this year, but I chose to wait until I'm stronger next year. Praying for your Dr and PT to guide you back. (They said a full year to recover, but my break was pretty severe.)

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            Wait a minute! Before you pull the trigger on surgery, has your doctor discussed the possibility of PRP therapy with you? I recently learned that my years of shoulder pain is due to multiple tears in my rotator cuff. Since I’ve luck with PRP in both knees and a torn ligament in my foot, I eschewed both steroid injections and surgery and went straight to Regenerative therapy. It’s been about four weeks now and I’m already beginning to see improvement. And no post-surgical downtime, no physical therapy!
            You have my attention...What is PRP therapy? Doc did not mention it.
            He did say the orthoscopic surgical repair will be completely healed in 6 weeks. It's getting the strength and muscle memory back that takes the extra time. Oh, and for all the soreness to go away.

Comment

I just had this surgery.. It is a bit painful but not horrible. I was in a sling for month and started pt 14 days after surgery. Before the surgery the pain in my shoulder would wake me up at night and gave me lots of issues during the day with neck cramps.... So far I don't have any of those issues. Before the surgery I did 3 months of pt, steroid shots etc.

Comment

I tore my rotator cuff and an dreading the MRI.

But, the pain isn’t going away on its own

Comment

Originally posted by black42 View Post
                  I just had this surgery.. It is a bit painful but not horrible. I was in a sling for month and started pt 14 days after surgery. Before the surgery the pain in my shoulder would wake me up at night and gave me lots of issues during the day with neck cramps.... So far I don't have any of those issues. Before the surgery I did 3 months of pt, steroid shots etc.
                  My doc said same for PT. Will start at 2 week mark. How long ago did you have surgery and are you back to normal yet?
                  I will be happy if I can just get back to getting a good night's sleep without waking up in pain every 30 min.

Comment

Well speedy recovery prayers

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                      So I went ahead and Googled this. Very interesting and somewhat natural, kinda, in a way, I guess. I like the idea of using my bodies own healing function (even tho it's manipulated a bit) to repair the damaged tendons/muscles. I'm going to call the doc tomorrow and ask about it. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                        You have my attention...What is PRP therapy? Doc did not mention it.
                        He did say the orthoscopic surgical repair will be completely healed in 6 weeks. It's getting the strength and muscle memory back that takes the extra time. Oh, and for all the soreness to go away.

PRP, Platelet Rich Plasma, is one of two treatment modalities referred to as Regenerative Therapy; so named because the process uses your body’s own platelets, re-injected into the damaged joint, to generate new tissue. Regenerative therapies ONLY work on soft tissue regeneration (as opposed to hard tissue such as bones, teeth) and can address injuries related to cartilage, ligaments, muscles, and even some pain due to inflammation. No surgery. No downtime.

PRP is not always 100% effective—for example, the older you are, the older your platelets are—but I’ve experienced nothing but success for two torn meniscus’s (meniscii?), one torn ligament, one torn rotator cuff, and nerve pain due to inflammation in an elbow. All but the torn ligament are artifacts from old athletic injuries.

It is also important to note that not everyone is a candidate for PRP. Because PRP utilizes the same cells responsible for blood clotting (these cells reside in your platelets), those with ischemic heart disease and certain diseases of the blood should not pursue this form of treatment.

There is much more to this than both time and space allow. However, were I in your shoes (and I am, actually), I would at least look into this line of therapy, before agreeing to surgery because while surgery can repair damage to soft tissue (I.e. “patching” a torn ligament or “trimming” torn tissue from a damaged meniscus), it can’t help the damaged tissue heal itself.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me if you’re interested in more information. Note: I am not a medical professional. Simply a well-informed “nerdy science girl” whose dance card seems to be filled more with doctors appointments than dance partners these days.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          Well speedy recovery prayers
                          Thanks!

Comment

Had what the Doc said was arthroscopic surgery on my left shoulder Nov 3 2020. One little incision and they would be done. 4 incisions later and 4 anchors later they were done. A bone spur on top of my left rotator cuff cut a lot of stuff in a year on not getting it fixed or checked. They could still not repair my left bicep completey as too much scar tissue had built up. I now have what they say is a Popeye bicep! 4 months in a sling and rehab after that. Right now I feel like I am at a 95% recovery on my left shoulder.

I truly hope yours is not that bad, BUT after xrays, mri and an ultra sound they still could not tell how bad the damage was!

The most painful part of this was my wife having to take the bandages off my shoulder. I truly cried like a baby! I think they put the bandages on with Super Glue and contact cement.

Comment

I'd say prp is great in the right candidate..
                              However if you are over 50 good chance u have impingement and that area was a chronic tear that will never heal right bc if the build up under the ac jt
                              Talk w a good regenerative doc that is well versed in mri and prp
                              I know several here in Austin if u need recs

Comment

Working...
                              X