Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
GarrettH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera
Default Ever have a trailer jump off the ball??

About a month of so ago I was heading west loaded down with my 10 ft utility and in Columbus they had the road busted up to retop it and right at the death curve on 10 there was a pretty significant drop and my trailer went airborne and then straight off the ball. I had a safety pin and it still came off was it just the perfect angle and the tiniest of room to come off??? I had chains so I didn't lose it but man it had me worried the rest of the way after I got it back on.

Anybody experience this?
GarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
TexasBob
Pope & Young

I have, major pucker factor for sure. Empty trailer and no issue in the road. Is there an adjustment on the coupler? I was wondering about my boat trailer last week.
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
Ag 89
Eight Point

Hunt In: Segovia, Menard

Scary deal for sure. It happened to my dad once, but he forgot to latch it. I have always had that fear so my lowboy has a bulldog hitch because I think they are more secure.
Ag 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
Bowanta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking in Texas. Hunt in Franklin and Linn County (Unit 11), Kansas

Yep. That is why ALL I will use now is a Bulldog Hitch/Coupling. No more worries...
Bowanta is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Yep, twice. Once with 4x8 and atv. Brand new Honda rolled 3 times inside the trailer. Fired right up to unload it. Too be fair here dad fell asleep driving and we went to sliding across 362

Second time was my 18 foot boat. It ate the tailgate for breakfast

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowanta View Post
Yep. That is why ALL I will use now is a Bulldog Hitch/Coupling. No more worries...
Yelp had it happen on I-20 right before ranger hill. I was empty. Got home and cut off old one and welded a bulldog on two days later.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #7
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Eldorado/big lake , presidio , tiviolie

Yes on a small utility trailer, never on a standard size two axle
Same scenario that you had small trailer with a upright freezer in it , hit a bad piece of road and trailer went airborne and wheeled into the ditch thank goodness

1 7/8th ball 4x8 trailer

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-01-2021 at 11:06 AM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
rjet
Pope & Young

Yes, I have a shared trailer that when empty can come off when pulling empty. Never had an issue when loaded.
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #9
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

The reason why I don't let anybody hitch me up anymore.....drove a car to an upholstery shop across town once and trailer ate my suburban tailgate unloading the car. Act of God that it didn't come off going across town.
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #10
riverbowman
Ten Point

Yep. Many moons ago one of our guys was pulling a 20ft trailer loaded with landscape equipment and it came loose as he topped a big hill. He slowed down and it passed him in the oncoming lane and came to rest in a house. Nobody was hurt thankfully. Chains are important.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #11
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I use the Bulldog coupler as well so this does not happen. There is an adjustment on a standard coupler. On the bottom side there is a nut to tighten the panel. My guess is it came loose over time and you did not realize it. Glad everything worked out and no major catastrophe took place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #12
Cooper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos, Burleson, San Jacinto Counties & Sam Houston National Forest

Not on the road, but if don't latch the coupler when you load your SxS it will jump off the ball and dent your tailgate....don't ask me how I know.....lol.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #13
bullhead44
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke county and McLennan county

Once. We lived on lake Whitney about 1/2 mile from the boat dock at Uncle Gus'. I had been working on the boat motor and ran down to try it out. I forgot to put the chains on it for some reason. I stopped 1/2 way up the ramp to pull the plug and I guess the angle let the hitch come loose. When I started to pull off, I see the nose of the boat and trailer in my driver side mirror. I was only going maybe 5 miles an hour so I slammed the brakes on and jumped out to stop the boat. DONT EVER DO THAT!! A 20 ft bass boat is pretty dam heavy. It knocked me down and the ran over me. Broke my leg and the tire went over my hip and across my shoulder. It did stop after running over me though. I was glad it did. It was headed down a big hill where the big yachts are docked. Might have gotten expensive.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #14
Mule Skinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Northern Duval Co.

No.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #15
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

If it was latched, and it came off, there is something wrong with it! There's a big nut on the bottom that is probably loose. I have bulldogs on all of my stuff now from replacing the other junk over time.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #16
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Only when I put a 2" hitch on 1 7/8" ball because I was too lazy to change the ball.

Before anyone starts in on me I was pulling utility trailer around the farm with 4 wheeler

Knew an old man that was headed to fish one morning and when he got to the lake the boat was no longer behind him. He and his friend drove the route several times and decided someone must have got it. Said a week later a guy called and wanted to know what his plans with the boat were as he was about to get it towed. Boat had run up and stopped right beside a convenience store just like it had been parked there
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #17
darralld
Eight Point

Was on a highway going south on a 4 lane. Guy coming north was pulling an empty trailer. He went across some railroad tracks and the trailer came off. He never even knew it until the trailer came up beside him & passed him. The look on his face was priceless. Trailer came across the median to our side. Went down the highway for a bit then cut back across to his side. Then it went into a parking lot that had a bunch of new high dollar tour bus type vehicles in it. Don't know if it hit any or not.
darralld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #18
GarrettH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera

Well I am glad I'm not alone I am guessing I need to adjust that nut!
GarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #19
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Knew an old man that was headed to fish one morning and when he got to the lake the boat was no longer behind him. He and his friend drove the route several times and decided someone must have got it. Said a week later a guy called and wanted to know what his plans with the boat were as he was about to get it towed. Boat had run up and stopped right beside a convenience store just like it had been parked there
A friend of mine pulled his Ranger to the lease one night. When he got there, the Ranger wasn't on the trailer. Backtracked about 20 miles and it had run up a hill and thru a BW fence. He and his brother patched the fence, loaded the Ranger and went back to the lease. I'll never know how a Ranger comes off a trailer and you don't realize it.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #20
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa

Had a good friend that lived in NM that had his loaded hunting trailer come off and the tongue dug into the pavement and flipped the truck and trailer. Unfortunately he did not survive!

Never happened to me, but knock on wood!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #21
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Only one I ever had come off was a Bulldog that didn’t get closed when hooking up. 2 horse traile with 1 horse in it, came off crossing RR tracks and flipped on its side
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #22
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Had somebody steal my receiver pin in college. Pulling the duckboat down the interstate it came off but safety chains saved any damage. Ground the ball down good on the receiver and now I use a locking pin!
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #23
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I have not, but once a buddy and I pulled a travel trailer from Porter to Madisonville on the bumper with a 2” ball, because we didn’t realize it was a 2 5/16”.

It’s amazing we didn’t kill someone or ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #24
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettH View Post

Anybody experience this?
Yes
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #25
brutus
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co. Priddy Tx. area

I went to my lease from Weatherford to Priddy hauling my 13 foot single axle trailer with my blind and fourwheeler. Got all the way there unloaded and dropped the trailer and was running to the toddy house and saw something flip up behind me kinda caught it my mirror thought it was a stick. On my way back down the dirt road I see a receiver hitch laying in the road. Got out and got it only to see it was mine. I had forgot to put the clip in the lock pin that goes through the hitch. SOOOOO LUCKY.
brutus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #26
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Yes my boat on the railroad tracks. Going to Lake Kurth. Thank God for Crack heads. This dude came out of nowhere full of energy. Helped me pick it up and off he went

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #27
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

No
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #28
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

It did not happen to me but to the truck going in the other direction after he crossed some RR tracks. While I was not close, I saw the whole thing very clearly. Fortunately he was able to immediately pull over and fix it.

This is why I always hook my safety chains up. I too use the bulldog but those chains are just as important.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #29
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I saw a Skid Steer on a trailer come off a pickup and then pass the truck that was pulling it down on HWY 175 a few years ago. Was kinda funny the look on that drivers face.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #30
KGreene
Four Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County

I had a cheap Walmart receiver pin come out with my wife’s car on a tow dolly. It was passing me, I pulled in front of it and let the dolly hit the back of my jeep. There wasn’t a scratch on her car.
KGreene is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #31
Bowtech38
Pope & Young

Happens a few times a year at work, customers tear up tailgates it’s funny. Had a few goose necks do it also, they forget to lock in the flip over ball type and pull it outa the bed.
Bowtech38 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #32
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

My bass boat passed me up the day I paid it off. Felt something and went to look in my side mirror and trolling motor was right there at my window. Surprisingly no damage. Was lucky.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #33
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

This probably should have been my first response, as it is a little crazier.

We left Tyler to go quail hunting in Vernon, pulling a small dog trailer with four pointers loaded (2 were his pride and joy, Rip and Sugar). I was 15 and had a hardship license, ****** that my granddad wouldn't let me drive. We were ~5 miles from town when the trailer came off the hitch and veered right into the ditch. When the tongue dug into the outside berm of the ditch, it catapulted the dog trailer into the air end over end, crashing through a BW fence and coming to rest upside down. My granddad lost it. I think that was the first time I saw him cry.

He was sobbing when we got turned around and back to the trailer. Like, ugly crying. I jumped out and could hear at least one dog whimpering, so I commenced to opening doors. To this day, I've never seen a human make the WTAF faces those dogs gave me.

All four of those dogs hunted the next morning, and I got to drive to the field.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 02:08 PM   #34
meltingfeather
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Dang!!
Pucker factor for sure-- never had one come off **knock on wood**.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #35
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

I remember looking out the side window of the truck and saying, " look Dad, that guy has a horse trailer just like ours" as it passed us at about 60mph. It pulled itself over on the shoulder and stopped without incident. Lucky day.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #36
powderburner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

Leaving church camp this last march. I let someone else hook up a box trailer to my truck.
When we left I made it halfway between Medina and Bandera. The trailer bounced off the ball and I made a Lightning McQueen drag for 150yards before I could stop.
I had blacktop all over the bed of my truck.
Jacked it up and put in on the ball correctly. and pulled it home.
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #37
FamousAmos
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason and Menard

I had a boat trailer come off the ball as I crossed railroad tracks but it was due to my neglect. I failed to flip the latch on top of the hitch.
FamousAmos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #38
DPElite
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Yep pulling my old deer lease trailer to my dads in Louisiana late at night and went over a railroad track about 20 mph and it jumped off the ball and passed me up
I was like wtffff
Thank goodness chains weren’t on or it would have tore truck up good
Really lucky it was late at night and no one was in the roads

DPElite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #39
JGadbury
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Not on the road, but if don't latch the coupler when you load your SxS it will jump off the ball and dent your tailgate....don't ask me how I know.....lol.
haha Ditto!
JGadbury is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #40
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Have y'all noticed it is usually RR tracks that trigger it?
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #41
LWC
Ten Point

Once. Pulling a small smoker home after a Thanksgiving camping trip. Was about 10 miles from home and saw the smoker headed for the ditch. It hit something and flipped end over end and crashed tongue first into the muddy ditch. I drove home to get my brother and his 4x4 to help me get it out. Got back an hour later and somebody had stolen it already. Glad nobody got hurt and po'd about a thief.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #42
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

I know…I was lucky it didn’t jump into my tailgate. I was able to slowly lower it back down with the SXS. Pucker factor was pretty high

canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #43
RebeccaCreekKid
Four Point

Pulled a deer blind built on a jet ski trailer 500 miles across Texas. When I got to the ranch I hooked it up to the Jeep to take it out into the pasture. Realized I'd gone 500 miles with a 2" hitch on a 1 5/8" ball. Felt lucky I made it.
RebeccaCreekKid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #44
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

my dad and i were pulling a trailer into comanche a long time ago, pulled up to a red light (maybe right after the railroad tracks!) in downtown and stopped, felt a little bump but thought it was the 4 wheeler moving a little. when the light turned green, he took off and the hitch slid out of the receiver and dumped the trailer on the ground. we thought someone hit us from behind....

somehow the cotter pin had been pulled loose, maybe while drivng through some brush/rocks, who knows, but we had some wire to to wire it up with and get us home.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #45
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGadbury View Post
haha Ditto!
3rd.

Also was loading one of my trucks onto a gooseneck pipetop one night. it was dark and i made it to the top of the ramps with the front Tires and was trying to make sure it would fit. Well i noticed the trailer was kind of running away from me it seemed.

Put truck in Park with front tires sitting at the hing point. Got out too see BW ball dangling i had forgot to latch. It and tongue was up over my toolbox at that point. Luckily the chain box and safety chains kept it from going to far. The Chain box hit the bumper of my truck and stopped it. Had 2 small scratches in the tailgate. I blocked the trailer. Let my GF pull the truck up and we let it back down on the ball.

Watched my dad load a D4 onto a dual tandem for a buddy that just bought it and wasnt comfortable loading it. Same kind of thing about the time my dad made it to the hinge point the trailer shot up and separated the adjuster tube on the gooseneck. This was back before the started putting pins through them Just had a big set bolt and jam nut. I watched my dad back that dozer back down trailer and set the tongue right back down onto the tube still sitting upright on the ball. I wouldnt have believed it unless i was there to see it. trailer wasnt blocked or anything...
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #46
Buckshot4900
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas/Mississippi

Yep, just about three weeks ago.
As luck would have it I was right in front of the Terrell Police Dept on Hwy. 34.
Was pulling my 20’ trailer headed to get a load of plywood and coming off the end of the bridge there’s an annoying dip.
But….it was my fault for not checking to see what size ball I had on my truck. A 2 5/16” hitch WILL come off a 2” ball.
Luckily I had my chains crossed so it road on them till I got it stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Buckshot4900 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #47
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
Luckily I had my chains crossed so it road on them till I got it stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
THat's a great point. Keep your safety chains crossed, and short enough that they will cradle the tongue of the trailer if she comes loose. It always saves damage, could save your high dollar SXS, or could save a life.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #48
Rubberdown
Ten Point

My boat has those accordion style steel cables. They won’t make it if the trailer comes off. I keep saying I need to put chains on there.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #49
doright
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

Once when I was kid i was helping my dad move two bulls from one section of the ranch to another. We hadn't been on the highway long before the bulls decided they didn't like each other anymore and went to fighting. The trailer turned over and luckily it came off the ball instead of turning the truck over.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #50
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I had one of my crew leaders lose a trailer. Fortunately he was still in plant, it jumped a curb and it rammed the building.
He was a CDL driver who let his helper hook up the trailer and put a 2&5/16s hitch on a 2" ball. I was grateful it wasn't on the street.
He never forgave me for writing him up but in the end the driver is responsible for the load.
I've seen it happen multiple times on the streets and highways. It's BS that it happens.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top