Proud to be a veteran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proud to be a veteran

Last Friday and Saturday I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to travel to Washington to visit all the Veteran Memorials with 37 other veterans on the DFW Honor Flight.
    There were World War II, Korean and Vietnam Veterans on the flight. If you are a veteran and have never been on an Honor Flight ..... take the time and look it up and sign up to go. If you served you deserve to go and will be glad you did! (No matter when you served.)

As an Aviation Electronics Technician E5 who served during Vietnam and whose Squadron VA-113 was assigned to the USS Ranger.

This trip reinforced my pride to have serviced in the Navy and to be an American!
    Attached Files

Great post. Thank you for your service, sir.

Comment

Great post and trip. It took me over 20 yrs to go see the wall. I'm a Vet, and one of my friends is named on the wall.

Comment

Thankyou for your service sir. And to all of our vets that stood strong to defend what little freedom we have left, we solute you.

Comment

I have many friend's names on that wall. Not sure I could handle the emotion if I ever stood in front of it.

Comment

Excellent! Congratulations on getting to go on the Honor Flight. How does one get chosen? Do you submit a request/application?

Comment

I’ve been on several flights where they had groups doing the honor flight from DFW. Talked to many of them and it was an awesome experience as just a spectator.

One time, while boarding back from DC, the gate agent explained the trip over the PA, and asked everyone to allow the veterans and the sponsors to board first. So a bunch of people stated forming an isle to clap, shake hands, etc. as the veterans boarded. Well, a couple of snooty, ungrateful platinum rewards business guys decided they deserved to board first. I looked at the guy next to me and without saying anything I knew we weren’t going to let this happen. Before we could move, this mountain of a man, with a ponytail and leather biker jacket put his hands on those two numbskulls shoulders and very softly told them they better wait for these other folks to board first or they’d need a wheelchair to get on that plane. The look in those two idiots eyes was priceless and me and the guy next to me started laughing hysterically. Then an old lady pointed her finger at them and said you should be ashamed of yourself. I ended up sitting next to a Korean War vet and had a ball listening to him and he showed me all his pictures and stuff.
              Last edited by StrayDog; 11-27-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

Thanks for your service.

Comment

My father got to go out of Austin a couple of years ago. He too was in Vietnam and the experience was amazing. My brother is a paramedic with Austin/Travis County and got to accompany him. Thank you for your service sir.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you for your service Sir!

Comment

Here is their website: http://www.honorflightdfw.org/

All you have to do is sign up and wait for your turn.
                        Application website: https://www.honorflight.org/applications.htmls

I encourage all veterans to sign up. World War II and Vietnam Vets are going first.

Comment

That would be special..
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	24669857

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cadet+Salute+Navy.png
Views:	26
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	24669858

Comment

Cool trip. You earned it. Thank you for your service

Comment

Been to the wall twice to visit 2 of my buddies. The second time was shortly after my wife died. I had a heck of a time. Shouldn't have went alone. Not sure I will go back.

Comment

Working...
                              X