Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what else to use while hunting Whitetails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what else to use while hunting Whitetails?

Here in Indiana we are not allowed to use rifles. We mostly use shotguns, and muzzleloaders during our firearms. Not a whole,whole lot of bow hunters either. When compared to the population and hunters, it is kind of off set. We have wierd laws like many other states, like being able to use rifle calibers in handguns as long as the barrel doesn't extend past 15 inches. I guess your bullet will not go more than 300 yards if the barrel is only 15(kind of dumb thinking). I just wanted to know what all everyone else uses.
    I usually use a muzzleloader when not bow hunting, but I have had two to many malfunctions with it. I had to bring back the 12 ga. Which I do not feel handicaped using. I just use cheap Win. rifled slugs(2.48)I have killed two deer now this year with this combo, maybe 12-15 in the past. But enough about me what are you all using.

Chris Kiefner

I lived in IL for a while, and got a rifled, bolt action slug gun up there. With a 4X scope I have put 5 slugs through 3 holes at 100 yds. I like the Winchester Partition Gold slugs. They are a long way from cheap, and around here they are tough to find, but they kill hard. They are a 50 cal, 385 gr hollow point bullet that moves at 1900 FPS. It is no fun to shoot, but you don't have to shoot it much.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
      use rifle calibers in handguns as long as the barrel doesn't extend past 15 inches
      That looks like a good option.
      That or a slug gun as mentioned above.

Comment

I have no idea how fast my slugs are going out of my little barrel, the box says 1600 I think, but I am sure that is out of something like 28 inches. Ya, if you do not know what your doing a 12 gauge can kick your @#$. I tried 3" mags once, just once, I alomst got flung out of my climber using them. I did find that the 3 inch active slugs were manageable though, and kind of accurate. But the 2 3/4 are plenty. Those 3 inch Active's really,really knock them for a loop! It is easy for use to find slugs here! I just really like those all lead foster type. Even though you might only get a group size of 2 1/2-4 or so inches at 100, I always get that no matter what the weather is like. The buck I shot yesterday was the one of the farthest I really ever shot one over the past 12-15 years which was around 80+or- 5 yards or so. You southern boys shoot them where the they can't see ya, us dumb yankee's wait until the deer is making eye contact(cause we have too).I just wanted to know what everyone else is using just so maybe I could have ideas on what I might try here if it is legal or if I travel outside the state.

Comment

I have shot one or two a little over 100 with a scoped muzzleloader, I really do like them, little recoil with 100 or less grains of powder, little bit better range also.

Comment

Stir the pot.......
            Ruger 10/22 modifided to shoot 16" bolts at 445 fps.

Look up Airrow for more info.

Comment

To , me its all about the rush of getting a deer close as possible, so a bow is my only chioce, I have used a rifle in the past to shoot coyotes, but now that I have done that with my bow also, big rush!!

If I'm lucky my bro in law will get us a place to hunt in Ohio next year.....

Comment

That is pretty sweet, the Airrow conversion for your 22. I would love to see the game wardens face when he sees how that contraption is operated. I have posted this pic before, but since u were asking, if not with a bow I will use the BFR 500 S&W Magnum by Magnum Research. I know it is a little excessive but I hope to someday take an elk with it.

Comment

That handgun would be alost as scary to shoot in my treestand as a 3 inch mag from my shot gun(my climber). Talk about "rockin'androllin". Nice buck too! I have thought about a contender but have no clue what I would choose. I have shot a .35 rem. a few times. I wanted to try a .270,30-06,and .308. Maybe even try a .30-30, I just do not know the range that any of these may offer me. I am still ticked about my muzzleloader being in such a crappy state. I really,really like using one of them.

Comment

Do not know what I could use one of those .22 bolt guns on here other than coyotes, still that is pretty cool!!!!!!

Comment

Would the Airrow be lethal on deer sized game? All the website said is that it shoots a field tip, not a broadhead.

Comment

Isn't the Smith & Wesson .460 XVR a much better choice for deer-sized game than the .500 Smith & Wesson?

Comment

The "bolt" gun will blow though a deer at 40 yards no problem. I use 75 grain head and double up on the rubber bands.

Comment

Bow only these days but have taken a few with buckshot back at home in Louisiana.

Comment

I have about another month to use two different tags so I am going back to using the bow since I have made two kills with a firearm. I could of killed the doe with a bow, makes you want to kick yourself in the !@# for bring the wrong weapon out for the day. Won't have to worry about it now. Everyone just pray for me and my success with a bow this year even though I have been overly blessed with my shotgun. I would just love to take one with my recurve or longbow.

Comment

Working...
                              X