No announcement yet.

Shift work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

26 years doing shift work in a steel mil.A good friend of mine described it best."You become institutionalized"
    Took me awhile to figure out what he meant by that.Money's good,days off are good..It takes a very understanding woman to tolerate shift work.Not just missing out on holidays,birthday parties,etc..Stormy nights,sick kiddo's,things that go bump in the night..You're not gonna be there for much of that.I'll never get married again while working shift work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
      That’s the thing though, I don’t want it to ruin marriage chances with a very lovely lady. She knows just how determined I am and how hard I work. She likes how driven I am to succeed. But this type job could hurt my future with her and I sure can’t afford to risk that. I may just have to pass on this position. She’s too wonderful to lose.
      I wish you luck and pray for you. I wasn’t married when I took the job, but did ask my girlfriend who is now my wife how she felt. She said she was okay with it, so I took the job. Honestly I’m harder on myself than she is about the job. A strong relationship can make it through anything I believe, if it’s centered around God first and foremost. It affects everyone differently, but I just want to be honest with you. You lose touch with friends and family because you’re on a different wavelength. If a person is used to being gone for long periods working away from home, then it could make it easier. Good luck, you sound like a good person. I pray for you, it will all work itself out, Gods plan not ours.

Comment

I love shift work. Been doing the dupont schedule for 4 years now 12-hour shifts as an operator. Wouldn't imagine doing anything else. My wife is very understanding and knows what comes with the job. It has its up and downs and is not for everyone.

Comment

Here is what I don’t like about it in my schedule. I don’t like having a month of 36 hour checks. When I do OT when on 36’s I feel like I am giving them my time. Vacation time on 36’s stink if you only take your vacation time in 8 hour increments.
          What I like about it pure in simple is the long periods of time off during deer season.
          I try to do more ot on my 48’s than 36’s.

Comment

I've been working a 14 on days 7 off 14 nights schedule for 11 years at 16 hour days. I've turned down a supervisors 8-5 position 3 times because I don't want to lose those long weekends

Comment

Take the job! I've worked shift work for 7 years. I've worked 4 on 4 off, and Dupont shift.
              currently working Dupont, at a job I plan to stay at until i retire. If you have any other questions about shift work send me a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                I wish you luck and pray for you. I wasn’t married when I took the job, but did ask my girlfriend who is now my wife how she felt. She said she was okay with it, so I took the job. Honestly I’m harder on myself than she is about the job. A strong relationship can make it through anything I believe, if it’s centered around God first and foremost. It affects everyone differently, but I just want to be honest with you. You lose touch with friends and family because you’re on a different wavelength. If a person is used to being gone for long periods working away from home, then it could make it easier. Good luck, you sound like a good person. I pray for you, it will all work itself out, Gods plan not ours.
                Thank you very much for the kind words and prayers. Appreciate ya.

Comment

I’m guessing the 2 nights then 2 days the 4 off = 2 sets of 4 days and 2 sets of four nights then 4 days off after each?

If so, give it a shot.

If its 2days then 2 nights each set , that doesn’t sound fun at all.

I’ve been working 4 days on- 4-off then 4 nights then 4 off then back to days for 23 years now. I wish the flip flop was less often. 2 sets of each before flipping sounds a lot healthier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X