Truck tire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck tire ?

Getting some new tires. Going with Pathfinder AT 285/70/17. Going on F150 4x4 super crew. Don't pull anything and 90% highway driving to work and back. Should I go with the SL load range or the load range E1?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Price difference is $148 vs $165. Can get the Cooper ATP for $188. They are E1 load range.

Comment

I went with E on my Michelin AT2 after two sets of P metric. They were cheaper than the P metric, come with deeper tread, and ride just the same. I've heard about the issues of a rougher ride, but I only notice it over railroad tracks. Everywhere else they're great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I cant proof it but i feel like you pick up less thorns nails or screw with an E rated tire

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
          I cant proof it but i feel like you pick up less thorns nails or screw with an E rated tire
          That was what I was wondering. I don't get off road much except during deer season. We do have some thorns where I hunt.

Comment

E range, we run pathfinder on many different vehicles, hi way and ranch roads

Comment

I have the exact same tire and size on my 1/2 ton 4 x 4, been happy with them so far. Bout 30,000 miles on them.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                Price difference is $148 vs $165. Can get the Cooper ATP for $188. They are E1 load range.

I’ll 2nd the ATP’s. Ran a set for 50k on my 2014 Ram 1500, got 50k out of them and the only reason I changed all 4 was because I hit a piece of a road barricade that had nails and pictured the tire in 4 spots. Definitely wasn’t fixable and I didn’t want 1 new tire along with 3 tires that were 80-ish% worn out.

Put a 2nd set on, had them for 10k and had a buddy who needed new tires on his 2014 1500 and wanted my factory black rims so I sold them to him and put the money into a set of STT Pro’s. Currently have 63k on those and can easily get 65k but I’m shooting for 70k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Depends on your budget. $80 is $80. As little as you off the road and as much of that mileage is highway miles, I would probably go with the lighter SL tire. Still a great tire and better on the highway for as little as you are offroad from a practical standpoint. The only drawback is you have less plys so they are a little more susceptible to heavy thorns. I've run both SL and E rated tires on my one ton and the difference is nil driving. Gas mileage is a little different with the extra weight but not horrible......
                  Last edited by Smart; 09-25-2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                    E range, we run pathfinder on many different vehicles, hi way and ranch roads
                    Which load range?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Depends on your budget. $80 is $80. As little as you off the road and as much of that mileage is highway miles, I would probably go with the lighter SL tire. Still a great tire and better on the highway for as little as you are offroad from a practical standpoint. The only drawback is you have less plys so they are a little more susceptible to heavy thorns. I've run both SL and E rated tires on my one ton and the difference is nil driving. Gas mileage is a little different with the extra weight but not horrible......
                      I drive 70ish miles round trip to work 6 days a week. Right now I have Firestone Destination mt2 on it(because I traded my 20" wheels and tires for them with factory Ford 17" wheels)& they will sing to you, lol. These will be my first and last set of mud tires. I can buy whatever tire I want, just want to be smart with my money.....and yes $80 is $80....I can spend that on hunting stuff[emoji106]

Comment

Which load range?

Sorry, had a mental lapse...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
                          I have the exact same tire and size on my 1/2 ton 4 x 4, been happy with them so far. Bout 30,000 miles on them.
                          How are they in mud?

Comment

How are they in mud?

Pathfinder ATs on my buddy's 4x4 half ton were good at our place... not so much in slick heavy mud on my 7.3 diesel. But in their defense, nothing short of a MT would push that heavy diesel sled through mud very well. My 1/2 ton Tundra runs ATs and will for its entirety. Pathfinders will be up there when it comes time to replace the current ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Pathfinder ATs on my buddy's 4x4 half ton were good at our place... not so much in slick heavy mud on my 7.3 diesel. But in their defense, nothing short of a MT would push that heavy diesel sled through mud very well. My 1/2 ton Tundra runs ATs and will for its entirety. Pathfinders will be up there when it comes time to replace the current ones.
                              Thx. About to order some

Comment

Working...
                              X