458 Barks again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

458 Barks again

So I go out to stalk some bedded hogs on the creek bottoms. 5 minutes in I hear something close and stop and listen, up pops a big boar 25' away in the briar thicket. Managed to drop him. He had almost no ears, just torn up on both sides!
    Then headed in deep and popped out on a small road in the brush and there is a coyote standing on the other side looking at me...dang dog turns sideways like he is going to leave but instead comes at me sideways...never saw that before so I blast him, so close it was guts I guess, he starts spinning around and looks at me and comes at me with his intestines dragging and I shoot 2 more and get him at 10' with the last shot. Crazy little guy, bad decision today for him.
    Then I missed a big hog at about 100 yds running so snuck back to the creek as it is getting dark pretty quick. Managed to get 2 more hogs before I had to go. Pretty fun night.
    Attached Files

That one with the ears torn up, dogs likely got hold of him.
    The coyote doing the sideways posturing, walking, trotting. Typically with their back arched and fur standing up, is something they do to try and intimidate other animals and or something they do, commonly before fighting with other coyotes, also, mostly likely to intimidate the other coyote.

Never heard of one doing that to a person. I shot one, years ago, shot it through the left shoulder, the bullet went out the right shoulder, almost took the whole right side shoulder off. About the front 1/4 to front 1/3 of the right side of the coyote was blown almost complete off. It was a female, her shoulder was just dangling by some hide on the rib cage. That coyote was not happy with me, she actually came after me, very aggressively. I was shocked she was able to get up, as hard as that bullet hit her. She got up and came after me. That deal ended quickly.

So what loads are you shooting out of the 458? I have been shooting 350 gr. Hornady Interlock, soft points, but I have just about run out of those. So I am switching to some coated 405 gr. cast bullets. I really want to see how those do. They should make good bear, elk or moose loads. Not sure anything we have around here will slow those things down much. I am still going to try them.

Pretty good afternoon, three pigs and a coyote. Some nice looking pigs.

Comment

Looks like the earless hog has some shanks in him.

Wonder how many dogs he’s chopped up and gotten away from.

Sounds like an awesome day.

Comment

458 did a good bit of barking

Comment

So what loads are you shooting out of the 458?
          I picked up some boxes from a few different guys on here, most are 350 gr. I think but the ones that have been really working are from Steinel. The 300 gr JHP (jacketed HighPower) They are cheap, like $32/box (for a 458) and they cycle and feed flawlessly also. He is a small outfit and I like to support him.

Comment

Good deal!! what scope are you running on that 458?

Comment

Congrats, wish I had some property to hunt hogs..

Comment

That's a lotta pork

Comment

458 is pure nasty on hogs! What bullet are you shooting?

I can’t wait to get one with mine shooting the 600gr hard cast@1000fps

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    458 is pure nasty on hogs! What bullet are you shooting?

I can’t wait to get one with mine shooting the 600gr hard cast@1000fps
                    I am shooting 300 gr and honestly...my teeth were aching last night. Lol I might need to change stocks. That 600 gr. Might knock a tooth loose!

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      I am shooting 300 gr and honestly...my teeth were aching last night. Lol I might need to change stocks. That 600 gr. Might knock a tooth loose!

They don’t kick to bad since it’s subsonic and suppressed. They have some stupid penetration though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                        They don’t kick to bad since it’s subsonic and suppressed. They have some stupid penetration though.

I would take you with if I could. It would be a lot more fun with a buddy but this ranch owner (400 acres) has been firm since I met her. Nobody else can be out there unless helping to retrieve hogs from a trap. Has been like 6 years with her and she doesn't trust people very easily. I had another 160 acres but the guy I did hog control for didn't renew the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                          I would take you with if I could. It would be a lot more fun with a buddy but this ranch owner (400 acres) has been firm since I met her. Nobody else can be out there unless helping to retrieve hogs from a trap. Has been like 6 years with her and she doesn't trust people very easily. I had another 160 acres but the guy I did hog control for didn't renew the lease.

Hey no worries I understand their land their rules. I’ll tell you what though a 10” 458 socom sbr suppressed is where it’s at for hog control

Comment

Working...
                          X