Game ranch ear tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game ranch ear tags

I was at my place west of Leakey today. Saw 4 yearling does and one of them had a yellow ear tag. I could not see any markings on the tag and can only assume it came from someone's high fence place but it was nothing special from what I saw. It was next door on a low fence place and I know for a fact they have no high fence or any special game. Do high fence places tag a normal doe for any reason? There are a few high fence places in the area. I can't figure out why the doe would be tagged. I have been at my place for 10 years, first time to see this. Just looking for any info somebody might have on tagging. Take care and good luck all.

I’m high fenced and I also have a Deer Management Pen (DMP) within the high fence. We tag does that we capture out of the pasture and put in the pen. Not sure if that is what happened here but it is a possibility.

Comment

You should shoot it, it might have some 250+ knarly genetics that most people hate on tbh. Wouldn’t want to screw up them genetics in your native deer herd.

Comment

Tagged for a reason. More than likely enhanced genetics.

Comment

Or someone caught a fawn and tagged it as their pet

Comment

Or...a smart doe figured if it was tagged, it wouldn't get shot

Comment

Pet I bet. A few good years ago I was on a small place in Medina County I leased just for my wife and kid that had a young 4 point hang out at one of our feeders pretty regularly. He had a big orange collar on so I assumed a pet for sure. I don’t know anything about the penned hf places but doubt they use bigass collars. Young but old enough to cull for that place as a 3 yo. I wouldn’t shoot it, watched him many times but I bet the bigger trigger happy place next door did after he just stopped showing up.

Comment

She probably tested positive for cwd in a breeding operation and “escaped .”

Comment

DMP pen bred doe.. Don't shoot her this year if she still has fawns with her. Let her and them survive.

Comment

Don’t ever shoot her

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      Don’t ever shoot her
                      This.

Comment

How did you decide it was a “normal doe” and “nothing special?”

I don’t think I could ever tell a run of the mill doe from a genetically superior one.

Well except for an ear tag.

Comment

She is tagged for a reason, probably a good reason. I wouldnt ever shoot her.

Comment

Neighboring HF ranch to us has eliminated all native WT and filled property with KS genetics. Incredible what he's been able to do in 15 years. I'd guess imported genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              Don’t ever shoot her
                              Saw a 12 point Trophy Buck on a deer lease in Llano back in the 70's. He was wearing a collar and a bell. He was Tasty.....LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X