2021 F-150 V-6 engine issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 F-150 V-6 engine issues?

My nephew tells me that the Ford F-150 pickups with a V-6 are notorious for having horrible problems with the turbo and blowing oil seals and gaskets on the engine itself.
    Any truth to any of this?

Sure miss those days of being able to hunt a lease for a nominal cost that didn’t create greed and a feeling of despair if you didn’t kill something!

I run a 2012 F150, with the 3.5L Ecoboost. 186K miles in, and no trouble with seals or gaskets.

The only things I have had to fix are oxygen sensors, a water pump, and a starter.

Been a good engine for me, and I tow heavy trailers.

Comment

Don’t know about the 2021s, but my 2019 3.5 ecoboost only has had an issue with the cam phasers. Knock on wood. Ford replaced the cams under warranty. Have not heard of issues with the seals or turbos.

Comment

No problems with my 23 MPG, 2018 (non-ecoboost), V6.

Comment

I think that was more of the early Eco-boosts.

Comment

Not an issue. Long story short, a tiny percentage had an issue, and so it gets blown out of proportion. Just like the electrics on GM don't last because there are a lot of one headlight wonders out there. Or on like on my current car, the motor was "known" to start consuming oil, and need a full replacement. A new motor is currently $20k. Again, this issue happened on a tiny % of cars, but those owners made the most noise.

Comment

2013 f150 3.5 ecoboost here, going strong with just general maintenance. I'm guessing your nephew isn't a Ford guy?

Comment

Do a search on the 2.7 engine..they're known to have turbo seal issues blowing blue smoke on startup..

Comment

The early 2.7's had an issue where you'd have a little blow by which would result in a puff of blue smoke on start up occasionally.

They also suffered early on from a leaking oil pan. Never a threat to the engine but a residual drip which would cause a mess over time.

Comment

Guy who calls on the company I work for had his phasers go out three or four times before the truck had 160,000 miles on it.

Comment

Nephew by marriage has one of the eco-boost v6's that overheats when you pull anything or have a load in the bed. Been that way since new.

Comment

Anything built post pandemic is suspect, lots of F ups that first year march 2020 to a year ago

Comment

No truth to that. I have two and driven three others with no problems. I abuse mine in rugged terrain that the average guy doesn't see.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

2020 with zero issues.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              Not an issue. Long story short, a tiny percentage had an issue, and so it gets blown out of proportion. Just like the electrics on GM don't last because there are a lot of one headlight wonders out there. Or on like on my current car, the motor was "known" to start consuming oil, and need a full replacement. A new motor is currently $20k. Again, this issue happened on a tiny % of cars, but those owners made the most noise.
                              I don't remember the figures, but aren't the vast majority of 2011+ F150s on the road 3.5 ecoboosts? ie you hear about more problems with the ecoboost because there are way more on the road than 3.7s or 5.0s.

Comment

Working...
                              X