Preparedness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preparedness

You would think following last year's event folks would not have waited until now to get items needed for this weather event.

Even my wife asked if we should pick up some water. I informed her I already had it. Plus food items she wished I had bought last year before the snowpocalypse.

Was at HEB yesterday to pickup a prescription and one item. They had every cash register open and probably around 8 to 10 people deep.

Would it do any good to teach emergancy preparedness to kiddos K through 12th?

A program that builds each year, so by the time a kiddo graduates 12th grade they get the point to be ready.

I wonder if you go back through the snowpocalypse thread on here from last year and ask all the guys that said they were going to buy generators and other things actually did it?

Comment

A lot of people freaking out for no reason.

Comment

People are crazy at HEB. My wife said people had full carts of stuff, some had two carts. No one cares about only taking your fair share anymore. Living on a ranch, we always make sure that we are ready for whatever is coming along as far as cold weather is concerned. Good luck to everyone!

Comment

Wouldn't help. If the parents refuse to teach their kids, the kids won't be reinforced at home, and they would forget most of it anyways. Although I remembered how to build a snare in high school, and I've only set it maybe 5 or 10 times.

Comment

It’s probably going to be 24 hours of drizzle and freezing rain. Then the sun comes out and dries everything up. Not a big deal, same thing happens every year at least once. I think people are just a little gun shy after last year.

Comment

Wonder if the same thing used to happen in the 70's at the local Piggly Wiggly's when 2 days of freezing temps were forecasted on the radio?

Comment

This storm is setting up to be a lot more than just a little drizzle. From what I’m reading, most areas that get freezing rain will get 0.1”-0.5” of freezing rain. Combine that with high winds and you are looking at a lot of power outages due to falling limbs and trees. Yeah, the roads shouldn’t be bad for more than a day or two, but if you are in an area that gets 0.5” of freezing rain, you won’t be able to go to many places due to trees and limbs on the ground. Unless you have been through a bad ice storm then you don’t really know just how bad it can get.

I pray that the transition from freezing rain to sleet or snow is a quick one.

It would be really nice if people actually prepared for events such as this well before. I posted a thread on here trying to get people to prepare for events such as this and about all that came out of it were “your predictions were wrong” when I stated over and over again the primary point of the thread was to encourage people to prepare while you can easily find supplies.

Some people just have their head stuck in the sand and there is nothing we can do to change that.

A couple of decades ago there was a program for school age boys that taught preparedness. It was even the motto. But I have no idea if preparedness is still as much of a central focus for the Boy Scouts anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                  Would it do any good to teach emergancy preparedness to kiddos K through 12th?

A program that builds each year, so by the time a kiddo graduates 12th grade they get the point to be ready.
                  Under the new regime, they will get fast tracked into a whole new understanding of it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                    It’s probably going to be 24 hours of drizzle and freezing rain. Then the sun comes out and dries everything up. Not a big deal, same thing happens every year at least once. I think people are just a little gun shy after last year.
                    Concur!
                    Here it’s forecast 1 day of 18-30* Thursday, then Friday up above freezing

We need rain real bad north west of Sonora!!! I will take any brand of participation, rain , snow , ice and lots of it !
                    We only got a 24H window

Comment

I don't really see the difference between preparing in well in advance or 1-2 days before an event.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
                        I wonder if you go back through the snowpocalypse thread on here from last year and ask all the guys that said they were going to buy generators and other things actually did it?
                        I upgraded my really old small gen to a larger duel gas gen, now have 5 20lb propane tanks, 3 space heaters and have it ready to go just off the back porch, also have given my wife and kids lessons on how to start it and set it up.
                        As for water and food, I had that covered a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          I don't really see the difference between preparing in well in advance or 1-2 days before an event.
                          When you prepare well in advance, then you will most likely get what you need because you have time to go back if the store was out the first time. If you wait until the day or two before, then the store will be picked over and you will be out of many needed items.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            Everyone buying a little here and there over the course of months verses everyone buying that same amount over the course of 1-2 days with the limited stock on hand.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Wonder if the same thing used to happen in the 70's at the local Piggly Wiggly's when 2 days of freezing temps were forecasted on the radio?
                              To make sure thier fridge stays cool while it's 20 outside?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X