No announcement yet.

Common Skinning Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have converted to a havalon for all of my skinning and I use an old cheap fixed blade buck for the heavier work like splitting the sternum. I love to sharpen knives, but it has been nice not having to mess with it!

Comment

I have a bunch of “skinning” knives, but the one I end up using the most is a Spyderco Impala.

Comment

Check out Smoky Mountain Knifeworks

Comment

Case large sodbuster. Easy to sharpen.

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
            This is my one very favorite's goes with me on every hunt.

I am also liking this MKC knife alot.
            The Only Hunting Knife You'll Ever Need. When Master Bladesmith Josh Smith launched Montana Knife Company, he set out to create the ultimate do-it-all knife — small and light enough to pack on a goat hunt, durable enough to completely field dress a moose, and shaped to gut, cape, skin, and debone with ease. He called t

This will be my next blade from them.
            https://www.montanaknifecompany.com/...ange-and-black
            I'm pretty sold on the MKC knives these days! I used my Blackfoot on the elk I shot a few weeks ago, and it performed flawlessly. I initially thought it might be a little small for an elk, but it was perfect!

Comment

Man, I don't see how some of y'all can skin a deer without cutting your fingers off with the giant knives you use!! I have use a case trapper for many, many years for skinning/quartering. I personally do not like a large, and especially a large AND wide blade for skinning. Now if I was skinning a cow, I'd use a bigger knife, but I try to match the blade size to the animal size for comfort and safety.
              For the past several years, I have 2 that I use. I have a really nice 3 blade case trapper that has a gut hook that I use on the rare occasion that I still gut a deer. It's other 2 blades are a bone saw though small, will do a great job cutting an occasional limb that's in my way on the stand, and the third blade is a regular old case blade. It's stainless, so it's kind'a hard to sharpen if you're not experienced at it, but I have no problem. The other is a Victorinox folder lock-blade that has a 3" drop point blade.

I use these two knives for skinning and quartering. I use no saws, loppers or other gadgets to take a deer apart... same for hogs. Everywhere you need to take an animal apart, there is a joint. I take 'em apart at their joints... Even on Hogs, I can take a side of ribs off a hog with that case trapper in about 2 minutes by hitting the joint at the spine... No sharp edges to get cut on, or to puncture bags or vacuum seal bags when processed...

Comment

I’ve used buck 110’s for years but I don’t feel like the the profile is an ideal skinning shape after having made my own now for a number of years. I use my bird and trout design with a bit more forward belly and less pointy tip but still enough to puncture the skin

Comment

Made quick work of a deer on Saturday
                  Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Common Skinning Knives

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                      These right here. Keep 6 at the skinning rack sharp at all times. Easy and quick to hone a blade on and more cutting surface. Make quick work of skinning everything from Nilgai to hogs.

I’ve broken one of the choice brands you posted, never broke a Victorinox though.

But yes the 5” curved semi stiff Victorinox is hard to beat. They are all my cousins use at the locker plants

Last edited by MASTERS; 11-16-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Morakniv is great and I like the belt clip sheath so I’m never looking for where I set my knife.
                        Victornox beef skinning knife I picked up at a butcher supply shop has been my all time favorite for at-least a hundred whitetail. It just rolls along, sharpens easy and stays sharp.
                        Commercial butcher and restaurant knives are definitely the way to go.
                        I love my Buck 110’s in the field, but when it’s time to do butcher work, use the same tools as the pros.

This Victorinox 5.7803.12 beef skinning knife is the perfect tool for skinning large animals like cows, sheep, and hogs. This knife easily separates the skin from the meat, so you can quickly get to the next step of removing the finest cuts. The curved blade allows for a full cut motion, especially when making cuts toward the front of the animal. Made by a stamping process, this stainless steel 6" blade is lightweight, yet durable enough to perform in a commercial setting. Complete with a slip-resistant Fibrox handle, this knife is safe and easy to use, making it an excellent choice for both professional and at-home butchers.

Overall Dimension:
                        Blade Length: 5"
                        Last edited by Txtourist; 11-16-2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

This knife right here is perfectly shaped for skinning a deer. Don’t knock it til you tried it. Canadian belt knife. This is a russel grohmann, which I prefer, but cold steel makes this knife with zytel handle and is actually not bad for $15.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D6CA9CE4-6836-46B3-8037-73CF29A724A1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	24697672

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                            I have literally skinned thousands of deer with a little victorinox paring knife. Best seven or eight dollars you will ever spend on a knife.
                            Same - except I have several Old Hickory paring knives. I shortened an Old Hickory butcher knife, too. It made a pretty good skinner, but mostly I just use the paring knives.

Comment

Anza knives for me. Extremely easy to sharpen and hold a great edge, also for hand made knives they are extremely affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                                I use an Outdoor Edge or a Mora. The Moras are inexpensive, sharpen well, and hold a good edge. They can be had on Amazon for less than $20.
                                I can't find their skinner on amazon or for cheap. Do you have a link?

Comment

Working...
                                X