No announcement yet.

Rotella T6 5W-40 Shortage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to find 15w-40 in 2.5 gallon bottles today. $75/bottle! bought two to cover me a couple changes.

Comment

Not sure about the Duramax or Cummins engines but a VERY reputable Powerstroke builder said that almost all of the bad 6.7 Powerstrockes he gets in his shop have some sort of spun bearing. He says that when he has asked what oil they run all of them have said 15w40 even though Ford says to use 5w40. I believe the response he gets from the owners is that 15w40 is the only thing they have ran for 30 years in all their trucks and didnt know any better. The tolerances on these engines are super tight and needs 5w40 to lubricate everything properly.

He did say that the majority of failures are from folks in colder climates that do the remote start several times while it is idling in the driveway which compounds the issue.

Comment

I started running the tsc brand oil. It meets all the required specifications from Ford. Can get a 5 gallon bucked for about 60 bucks .

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
          Not sure about the Duramax or Cummins engines but a VERY reputable Powerstroke builder said that almost all of the bad 6.7 Powerstrockes he gets in his shop have some sort of spun bearing. He says that when he has asked what oil they run all of them have said 15w40 even though Ford says to use 5w40. I believe the response he gets from the owners is that 15w40 is the only thing they have ran for 30 years in all their trucks and didnt know any better. The tolerances on these engines are super tight and needs 5w40 to lubricate everything properly.

He did say that the majority of failures are from folks in colder climates that do the remote start several times while it is idling in the driveway which compounds the issue.
          Good info. I had not heard this, but I know not to deviate from specs on a motor where the long block is 10k...

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          I started running the tsc brand oil. It meets all the required specifications from Ford. Can get a 5 gallon bucked for about 60 bucks .
          Dang, not bad. Full synthetic?

I ended up finding oil. But I paid a premium.

Comment

That's interesting. Duramax here, I personally haven't heard that or seen it in my limited forum browsing. I'm gonna do some digging. I've been running 15w-40 about 95% of the time for the 196,000 miles I'm at. Have used 5w-40 twice when I couldn't find 15w40.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
              That's interesting. Duramax here, I personally haven't heard that or seen it in my limited forum browsing. I'm gonna do some digging. I've been running 15w-40 about 95% of the time for the 196,000 miles I'm at. Have used 5w-40 twice when I couldn't find 15w40.
              This builder specifically calls out just the 6.7 Powerstroke. He builds all the other Powerstrokes, Duramax and Cummins but didnt say a word about 15w40 in those engines so I assume the tolerances are not as tight. On the 6.7's he builds he actually increases the tolerances to avoid an issue, I have not figured out why Ford made the tolerances so tight.

Comment

This builder specifically calls out just the 6.7 Powerstroke. He builds all the other Powerstrokes, Duramax and Cummins but didnt say a word about 15w40 in those engines so I assume the tolerances are not as tight. On the 6.7's he builds he actually increases the tolerances to avoid an issue, I have not figured out why Ford made the tolerances so tight.
                You mean precise??? And why are the others so sloppy?

Comment

Used 15-40 this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackgar View Post
                    I’ve currently got 200 gallons in stock, I was advised of the shortage coming 6 months ago. Ya may wanna stock up on DEF, that’s coming next
                    Doesn't DEF have a shelf life?

Comment

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
                      Doesn't DEF have a shelf life?
                      I think he meant oil, but even oil has a shelf life. I'd imagine he has more than a few truck considering 200 gallons is enough for 500,000 miles assuming you can make it 7,500 on an oil change.

I am also struggling to find oil filters for my track car now too.

Comment

I haven’t seen rotella either. I don’t run it in my daily driver anymore. But everything else in the yard gets it.

Comment

Diesel_Motor_Oils_Meeting_Ford_WSSM2c171F1.pdf

Here’s a list of approved oils. Find a 5w40 (if that’s what you’re looking for) on the list from a reputable brand and you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Got oil changed today and Jiffy Lube has plenty

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                              Got oil changed today and Jiffy Lube has plenty
                              Your Jiffy Lube uses Rotella? Nice!

I wouldn't trust any of the quick lube places near me, minimum wage high schooler with $10k engine? No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                                Good info. I had not heard this, but I know not to deviate from specs on a motor where the long block is 10k...

Dang, not bad. Full synthetic?

I ended up finding oil. But I paid a premium.

It’s not synthetic, didnt catch that part on the original post .

Comment

Working...
                                X