Pig/Hog Saddle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pig/Hog Saddle Question

I recently caught a wild hog and am trying to figure out a way.....

Just Kidding.

Actually, I just got a pig saddle shooting rest and I’m trying to figure out a tripod setup for it.
    I’d like to keep it under $150. What would y’all suggest? Should I direct mount the saddle or should I get a Ball Head? This will mainly be used for calling coyotes and target shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one and have the same issue. Problem with most of the tripods under that price is the quick attachment point and mechanism isn't designed for that much weight.

You need to find one with a ball head. Buy one built that way and say yourself some hassle.

I tried to get the best traditional mount / tripod I could find and while it works ot could be better.

I recently bought one of these and will modify my tripod to accept it.

Discover the best camera and video camera tripods, monopods and photography accessories from Manfrotto.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bump

Comment

I did not go cheap on my tripod since that is what will be supporting you expensive rifle and glass.

I bought a SLIK to go with my reaper grip. It held my MK13 mod 7 (about 17lbs) no problem.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Get the one from the makers of the hog saddle. It's a really nice tripod. http://stores.hogsaddle.com/pig0311-...ipod-od-green/

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
            Get the one from the makers of the hog saddle. It's a really nice tripod. http://stores.hogsaddle.com/pig0311-...ipod-od-green/
            , I wonder who made it for them?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
              , I wonder who made it for them?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It says that’s it’s based off the Slik 700DX Pro

Comment

I'm sure there are much better tripods out there but I have mine attached to a Trigger Stick Tripod and it's very solid for the ranges I plan to shoot. I would feel very comfortable shooting hunting type ranges of 3-400 yards. If you are going beyond that get a better tripod. I like the trigger stick for short to mid-range shots like mentioned above because of the ease of adjustment for quick decision hunting situations and no need for a ball head.

Also I am going to be hunting with regular sporter type rifles. If you plan to shoot heavy rifles like someone else mentioned I'd get a more heavy duty tripod.

Watch videos from hog saddle on how to use your rifle sling to attain an even more solid shot.

Comment

Not what you want to hear, but you're not going to get a solid and reliable tripod set up for that money.
                  I have the Slik tripod and Manfrotto ball head and couldn't be happier with the set-up. I've used cheap tripods for spotting scopes and telescopes and I'm done with that after experiencing the difference a solid tripod makes.

Comment

Check out the "Night Stalker Shooting Tripod". Comes with the ballhead and is only $180. I am running an AR10 with Nightforce scope and clip on NV and it works great. Lightweight and strong and has exceeded my expectations.

Comment

I've used manfrotto set ups with the hog saddle and this set up feels just as solid.

Comment

I used an outdoorsman tripod and a monfrotto fluid head.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                          Not what you want to hear, but you're not going to get a solid and reliable tripod set up for that money.
                          I have the Slik tripod and
                          Say wut? He says his tripod budget is $150. The Slik Pro 700DX is $99.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                            Say wut? He says his tripod budget is $150. The Slik Pro 700DX is $99.
                            To get the weight rating and a ball head he's going to get over $150.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              To get the weight rating and a ball head he's going to get over $150.
                              Ahh ok I didn't realize he needs a ball head. This is why I'd never get the pig saddle. Spend good money on a better ball head instead, and then get a direct mount QD plate for your hand guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X