Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help choosing a new Cell Phone, MAYBE

Long read trying to supply info to avoid the obvious
    questions and recommendation's on using the Search Function and Google ad naseum reference to whatever else beside the topic at hand.

I've giggled it till I'm nauseas and am seeking real world experience.

I haven't ruled out getting the screen replaced but don't want it done half heartedly so the first time it gets sweated on it shorts out and I get electrocuted.

After years of use and abuse I finally managed to break the screen on my S8 Active. there's 2 good sized cracks on my screen. Its been in a protective case and had a Tempered Glass screen protector on it from day 1. I just removed the screen protector 10 minutes ago to see how bad it is

I drop it frequently rom 2' - 8' onto concrete, dirt and various trailer floors. Its been submerged, rained and sweated on LOTS and LOTS of times. Been covered in Grease Oil and other various substances including pig blood. Its been run over and drug by my creeper several times. It still works.

I think I want a new phone but this thing has taken everything without much fuss or fanfare.

I was going to upgrade to another Active model but Samsung quit making them :MAD:

I've thought about buying another S8 Active off of EBAY or Amazon. I'm not sure if I'd get a real one or a replica. Not sure I want to chance it.

I was looking at IPhones but don't like that I have to save the pictures from my Game Came SD Cards to the phone to see them. It sucks when you have 5k pics and only want to really look at 300. With my S8 I use File Manager scroll through the pics and save the ones I want to look at directly to my phone. IPhone won't let you rename Photos.... So I'm not looking at them as an option.

I've looked at CAT, Ulephone, Sonim, LG, Blackview, Plum, Kyocera, Land Rover, AGM, Unihetz, Kubot, Dogee and I'm positive I'm forgetting some. the reviews all seem to say the same thing the talking and selling points of the phone WITHOUT any real world first hand info!

So here's the MEAT.

Do you have real world info on a rugged, dependable and reliable phone that won't freak out the first time it slips out of my pocket and lands face first on the concrete in 6" of muddy water that I've to feel around in with my hands to find it?

All screens break.....and replacing them is no big deal. People replace screens all the time. Pay somebody $100 and you should be back to normal.

Put it in an otterbox and it will pass the PB2 adventures of destruction for a long time....

Comment

You need to think about camera options on new phones, obviously...

Comment

Never giggle it until you’re nauseas. You really could go blind

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Never giggle it until you’re nauseas. You really could go blind
          [emoji33]
          Guess I've been doing it wrong all these many years. :-)

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney Tatonka View Post
            You need to think about camera options on new phones, obviously...
            A couple have the FLIR.....

I have been and was just looking at processors.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

I ran into the same issue. I've been using Samsung Active models for years and they stood up to immense abuse without fail or one broken screen. I was mad when I found out they aren't making new models. After lots of research, I ended up with a Sonim XP8 for a couple of years. They are geared toward military, first responders, and construction use. It's probably the most rugged phone that I've owned. The downside, and reason I went to a Samsung Note 10, is they aren't geared toward easy multitasking for busy days in the office when 10 people are calling me at once, I have 10 emails to respond to, 3 subs are needing pics and documents sent, while my wife is texting me about what kind of dog food to buy. Before I was in the chaotic "office" world, the Sonim was the perfect phone. I would dare to say it is indestructible, extremely loud speaker, can go swimming with you, and insane battery life. I used it a lot and only had to charge it twice a week. That thing could smack the concrete face down and laugh at the impact. I feel like my Note 10 will shatter if I fart too loud. Hope this helps...
              Last edited by Pineywoods; 02-22-2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I got a 13 pro and the pics are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                  I ran into the same issue. I've been using Samsung Active models for years and they stood up to immense abuse without fail or one broken screen. I was mad when I found out they aren't making new models. After lots of research, I ended up with a Sonim XP8 for a couple of years. They are geared toward military, first responders, and construction use. It's probably the most rugged phone that I've owned. The downside, and reason I went to a Samsung Note 10, is they aren't geared toward easy multitasking for busy days in the office when 10 people are calling me at once, I have 10 emails to respond to, 3 subs are needing pics and documents sent, while my wife is texting me about what kind of dog food to buy. Before I was in the chaotic "office" world, the Sonim was the perfect phone. I would dare to say it is indestructible, extremely loud speaker, can go swimming with you, and insane battery life. I used it a lot and only had to charge it twice a week. That thing could smack the concrete face down and laugh at the impact. I feel like my Note 10 will shatter if I fart too loud. Hope this helps...
                  Thank you. I was looking at the Dogee but the chipset is low on the list

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                  I got a 13 pro and the pics are awesome.

13 pro? I don't think I'm familiar with this model

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                    I was reading reviews on att website on the xp8. Very few positive reviews

Comment

I have the Blackview 9600 Pro and couldn't be happier. At $275 I didn't think I had anything to lose. It took a while to find a text messaging app I liked, but thats the only issue. Battery lasts about 3 days before I need a charge. I'll definitely go back with this brand again. I've had it about a year. No otterbox or any other protection either.

Sent from my BV9600Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleB20 View Post
                        I have the Blackview 9600 Pro and couldn't be happier. At $275 I didn't think I had anything to lose. It took a while to find a text messaging app I liked, but thats the only issue. Battery lasts about 3 days before I need a charge. I'll definitely go back with this brand again. I've had it about a year. No otterbox or any other protection either.

What Texting App did you end up using?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                          What Texting App did you end up using?

I think its just Google Messages

Comment

You can still get an s8 active from att. We got my don a new one not long ago. I got the note 10 plus and it takes phenomenal photos.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                              You can still get an s8 active from att. We got my don a new one not long ago. I got the note 10 plus and it takes phenomenal photos.

I didn't know that you could still get the S8 Active.

I just checked on their website and all they're showing is the S8+
                              Last edited by Pushbutton2; 02-22-2020, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X