Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which parent taught you/your kids to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 daughters. I did all the driving with the oldest two. Told my wife I don't know if I have enough left for the third one.

Comment

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
      Neither. Drove hay trucks way before I should have. Lol. But with my 5 it will be me.
      My uncle taught me to drive an old Chevy 3 on the tree stepside in the hay field. I think i was around 12 or 13... only cost him a clutch

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
        My daughter will be 16 in August. She's done her written test and driving school hours so now she wants to drive as much as possible. Unfortunately for her my wife had total meltdowns the two times she tried to ride with her. By meltdown I mean they didn't make it 100 yards down the road before my wife made her pull over and switch seats.

On the other hand, I don't mind riding with her at all. She's not a bad driver and getting better each day. I make it a point to take her in directions that challenge her and it seems to be working. I just sit and give tips when I see her doing something questionable. For the most part I operate the radio and mess with my phone.

The situation is the exact same as when I was learning. I drove with my mom one time and I thought the airbag would deploy from her squeezing the dash. I could jump a rising drawbridge with dad and he would calmly tell me that probably wasn't a good idea.

Is this normal? Are all moms that high strung?
        I taught them to drive because my wife was exactly like yours lol

Comment

My Dad taught me to drive a 1977 Peterbuilt Cabover in a big big parking lot before I even got behind the wheel of a car. When I did get behind the wheel in a car during drivers ed my instructor fell asleep. In his defense my class was at 7:00 am.

Comment

My older brother. 1974 Malibu with a Landau roof.

Comment

My dad did. From the ranch vehicle to the parts car at the junk yard. The parts car was awesome because it didn't matter if we hit things. We put a lot of miles on that car at Ok Auto Parts. From as young as I can remember, my dad let us drive at both places.

Comment

My bro taught me...84 chevy suburban...the Love Machine she was called. He taught me to drive stick on a S-10. I still remember the first time I down shifted properly to slow down before a backroad curve...at age 13.

My 7 year old and 5 year old children are learning to drive via the farm cart and tractor. They are quite proficient operators...and its nice to be chaufferred from one chore to the next. I dont mind being the gate opener. The 7 year old has already driven a Jeep with proficiency.

Comment

In general I would say my dad. I started on 4 wheelers when I was single digits in age. By 12 I was driving a tractor including on the road between farms by myself. It is a lot easier to learn in a tractor when you are only going 20 mph and if you hit something it moves instead of you. But it was challenging driving with implements that took up more than the lane, etc. It prepared me well.

By the time I was 15 there was no lets get in the car and learn to drive with my parents. It was drive me here or there with suggestions like you can turn here or there so turn when there is a gap at 1 so you don't have to stop and wait at the other. Most if not all of my 15 yr old learning driving was done at the driving school. With that said the instructor fell asleep on 1 of my rural drives and on another the other poor girl was such a bad driver she took me home during the drive since there was nothing to learn watching that poor girl.

Now my kids get pretty good experience driving the side by sides, etc. I need to start letting my oldest drive my jeep more though.

Comment

Both parents didn't stress too much about me driving. I had a snowmobile when I was 6, and have been driving since before then with my dad behind me. Parents must have become numb to my driving prior to getting a license. I drove the lawnmower to mow before I even knew how to use a clutch, my dad would just get it going, then let me mow away. To stop, I just turned the key.

Then again, every kid rode 4 wheelers and snowmobiles with no helmets and shorts in the 90's. Probably not smart, but most of us made it.
                    Last edited by WItoTX; 02-21-2020, 08:48 AM. Reason: .

Comment

I used to follow my dad behind tractors and combines in the pickup when going from field to field or farm to farm. I started doing that when I was barely tall enough to see over steering
                      Wheel. We had an old bobtail grain truck I would drive from time to time in the field also. The clutch was so hard for me to push at the time I’d have to use both feet and pull on steering wheel. Lol

Comment

Similar to others on here. Learned on the grandparent's farm (another 3 on the tree) and at the lease in my father's F250. Also drove a motorcycle to town to work using back roads when I was 14.

My wife and I both taught our boys. She's a great driver (except backing a trailer but, that is another story).

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          Heck, I'm still learning. There's a big dent in the passenger side floor of my pickup where my wife pushes the invisible brake pedal.
                          Lmao, same here. When my wife mashes the invisible brake pedal and freaks out I hand her the invisible steering wheel and ask her if she wants to drive.

Comment

Mom

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

We had zero hour drivers ed. One of my football coaches did each morning before school.

Comment

Learned on a buddies Dad's ranch in an old jeep. Taught all my three to drive while they were small kids out on a deer lease. By the time they were all 13-14 they could all drive all over just fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X