High school baseball tryouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
    I agree on the measurables not being the end all. We had a guy with the highest exit Velo off a tee not able to hit live pitching
    Exactly!

Originally posted by glen View Post
    Exit velo does not compute to baseball. My kid had the second highest in the program last week. He has not been in the hitting lineup for about 3 years.

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
    It basically shows a players power or ability to transfer energy through the ball at contact. However, it does not reflect hand/eye coordination, pitch recognition, timing, & being a disciplined hitter against live pitching.
    It’s part of the process to gauge the hitters power & where certain ones fall within the range
    We have a kid who cannot for the life of him see the Type of pitch so when I had him as a freshman on JV I taught him how to just slap the ball. He doesn’t try to kill any pitches but the kid can get on base using his speed just because he just throws the bat out there

Bat to ball!

Comment

Glad I don’t have to go through this political drama. My boy Played all four years at 6A. Went to regionals and finals several times. Most of the team played select their entire careers. Several boys got scholarships to D1. Some got D2. My boy is now a Senior in college and continues to pitch. During most time through HS and select he pitched and batted, then he tapered off to a PO. Good luck. Lots of commitment.

Comment

I've got twin boys that are seniors on varsity they're ready to get after it. On paper we've got a good team with 13 signed to play college ball, hopefully all that talent translates to the field.

Comment

This may be a dumb question coming from someone who's kids are in 3A. But what about kids that play basketball with tryouts before that season is over? Can they still try out or do most kids just play one or the other at bigger schools? I guess it would be the same with the football/basketball overlap

Comment

HFD what HS? 13 is a lot. We played Colleyville Heritage in the finals last year and they didn’t have that many commits. I felt they were one of the better HS teams I had ever seen take the field. I think they had 3 drafted

LWC. It’s not a written rule but gotta pick a sport. We don’t have one kid that is in football or basketball

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
              This may be a dumb question coming from someone who's kids are in 3A. But what about kids that play basketball with tryouts before that season is over? Can they still try out or do most kids just play one or the other at bigger schools? I guess it would be the same with the football/basketball overlap
              At our 6A school the basketball kids tried out on Saturday. They will not be allowed to join the baseball team until basketball is done so they will miss some early games.

Comment

[QUOTE=glen;14681883]HFD what HS? 13 is a lot. We played Colleyville Heritage in the finals last year and they didn’t have that many commits. I felt they were one of the better HS teams I had ever seen take the field. I think they had 3 drafted

Oak Ridge High, not all P5’s but playing at the next level.
                Texas A&M, Arkansas, Texas State, UIW, Northwestern, Tarlelton State, Mary Hardin, Concordia, Panola jc, Alvin jc, Wharton jc, Howard jc and Eastern Oklahoma jc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  HFD what HS? 13 is a lot. We played Colleyville Heritage in the finals last year and they didn’t have that many commits. I felt they were one of the better HS teams I had ever seen take the field. I think they had 3 drafted

LWC. It’s not a written rule but gotta pick a sport. We don’t have one kid that is in football or basketball
                  I saw that gave y'all played against CH. That team was stacked! Having #2 in the draft sure helps but they had a few others that could flat out play.

Good to know about picking a sport. I just figured every big school would have a freak athlete or two that would excel at more than one sport. I guess Kyler Murray and Pat Mahomes are obvious exceptions.

Comment

I saw that gave y'all played against CH. That team was stacked! Having #2 in the draft sure helps but they had a few others that could flat out play.

Good to know about picking a sport. I just figured every big school would have a freak athlete or two that would excel at more than one sport. I guess Kyler Murray and Pat Mahomes are obvious exceptions.
                    2 years ago our starting QB was also starting power forward and starting 3B. Went to a high academic P5 to play baseball. We have several others that play 2 or 3 sports but not at the level he did it.

Comment

They had two sons of former very good big leaguers on that team.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        They had two sons of former very good big leaguers on that team.
                        Yessir, Whitt and Greer. Whitt is supposed to be the real deal. Took my 8th grader at the time down to Round Rock to watch him play. Probably be the highest pick we will see in person....while they are still playing hs ball.
                        Pretty cool experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HFD38 View Post
                          I've got twin boys that are seniors on varsity they're ready to get after it. On paper we've got a good team with 13 signed to play college ball, hopefully all that talent translates to the field.

What school?

Comment

The coach will allow them to try out once their season is over. Most 3A schools the studs play every sport they can.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                              What school?

Oak Ridge

Comment

I was at that game too. CH had 18 total hits in that game and that was against some decent pitching by Georgetown. Seems like one of the relievers topped out at 93-94. That was a flat out hitting team across the lineup

Comment

Working...
                                X