No announcement yet.

Red Rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I taught my kids a game I played growing up. We'd use spent 12ga shells for targets. We'd line 5 green ones up on the left and 5 yellow on the right and a red one in the middle. Object of the game is to knock down all your shells and be the first to hit the red one. We got so good that we could do it in 3 or 4 shots by hitting a shell perfectly on the edge to kick it to one side and knock over the others. My kids are hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

We just moved. I was cleaning out my gun safe to get my safe moved into the new house. I put my hands on my 1st Red Rider again just last week. It's 37 years old. Got it when I was 5. It's been modified a bit. When I was 12 or 13, I cut off the stock to a pistol grip, painted it camo and knocked off the sights, since I didn't need them anyway. It's ugly as sin, but still shoots!

Comment

My first "real" gun. Started my daughter and son out with one, and now my grandson has one too!

Perfect starter!

Comment

When my daughter was about 8, I had gotten her the pink model...one day I was out back plink'n limes that had fallen off my tree when she came out...she was watchin' me...I asked if she wanted to try and hit a lime on the ground..."yes"...so after a few limes a whitewing landed on the fence and I said, "you know, we can eat those kinds birds...we hunt them when they're in season"....she walked back inside for a couple minutes and came back out with a hand full of oatmeal and put it on the ground at the bottom of the fence where the dove had been, (obviously it flew off after her shufflin' round)...that's when I knew I had a child that shared a lot of my DNA...

Comment

I have my fathers, mine, and my daughters. Not much difference in mine the my dads. Daughters is not as heavy, but just as accurate.

Comment

I've got one in the closet by the front door for the when I catch the cows chewing on wires. it only shoots half as good as it used to. I have a pump bb gun on the window sill in the back for the dang grackles. and I have a decent break barrel one for squirrels.
              my daughter will be getting a pink one for her 5th bday in December.

Comment

Too bad the ones made today don't have the power and accuracy of the one I had when I was 6 years old in 1952. The one I have now is a piece of junk. Accuracy is so bad you can't hit a wall standing next to it. I have a gamo that makes up for it!

Comment

I never had a daisy. Around 7, my dad brought me a break barrel bb/pellet rifle, than a couple of years later he got me a Sheridan 5mm pump pellet rifle. My older brother had Benjamin pellet rifles, .177 and .22. The Sheridan shot a lot harder than the Benjamins. My best friend / hunting buddy had a daisy pump that was pretty good. I remember going to the dime store and buying the cellophane wrapped pkg of bb's for the days hunting. I grew up in a development, but my street was the last one and the landowner didn't mind me and my buddy terrorizing the bunny and bird population. Also let us fish in his ponds. It was almost like living in the country.

Oh, the break barrel would shoot the small wooden matches which would pop when they hit something hard, like a brick wall.

Comment

Got my little grandson one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I killed a rattlesnake with one one time. Took about 20 shots, was a favorite hunting experience of mine haha

Comment

I am a Red Rider fan, don't get me wrong. Check my post in DYI on the shooting range I made for grandson and all the controversial replys due to steel BB's richochet.
                        Yes they do sometimes so wear eye protection.

Comment

Last year at Thanksgiving I had all the grandkids nieces and nephews bring the red riders.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I forgot to mention all 4 of my grandchildren got red riders on their 3rd birthday. No bb's til safety can be demonstrated, 2oldest ones got pellet rifles now.

Comment

Incidentally, its Red Ryder with a y, not Red Rider.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                                The one I bought for my son 2 years ago is fixed to where it wont let the lever spring back on your fingers. He will never know the pain of that. LOL
                                I thought I was the only one that thought if you left the level open it would be a semi auto. That’s hilarious, there are others ! And oh yea, only did it one time thought I lost all my fingers, oh the pain. That thing was a bird killing son of a gun. I have no clue how many sparrows and starlings lost their lives to that gun. Could shoot at one on the phone wire and watch the bb in flight, and be cocked and ready to send another bb if that one missed.
                                Last edited by critter69; 06-22-2019, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X