Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default Nightforce Problem

Bought a Nightforce NX8 and bottomed out on the adjustment I am still 7-8 inches high at 100. The action has a pinned 20 MOA rail so switching the rail will be difficult. I am going to be putting it on another scope on it and Iím looking at the V6 Conquest from Zeiss. My big concern is will I end up in the same boat of not having enough downward adjustment. Anyone else run into this?
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

Can you take a picture of the scope/rings/rail and post it? If anything, you should be low when mounted on a 20moa rail. Nightforce warranty will take care of you if the scope is at fault.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
twosixteens
Ten Point
 
twosixteens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion
Default

Not familiar with that scope but are you hitting a zero stop?
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosixteens View Post
Not familiar with that scope but are you hitting a zero stop?


No the zero stop was backed all the way off


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

Is your turret moving the reticle at all? It may have been stripped somehow. Those vertical split rings will cause zero shift but regardless, the scope should zero.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default

Yes it moves it just fine and tracks very well. Iím just bottomed out and 7 inches high


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #8
Mac
Ten Point
 
Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Edwards, Kendall
Default

Get it optically centered using a mirror and check to see if you have the stated elevation travel. I had the same issue w a leupy and turned out I was short almost 14 moa of elevation. Sent it in and got it all fixed up.
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
kck
Ten Point
 
kck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: La Grange, TX
Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County
Default

Never had a problem with my NXS’s or Atacr’s but I’m tuned in to see what the issue is. As Mr. Graves stated, I’m confident that Nightforce will take care of it if it’s a scope issue.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point
 
BigJimmyRustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Tejas
Default

If everything is in good condition and you wanted to keep the scope i would think you could mount the glass in a 20MOA mount and reverse it to counter the 20MOA base.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

NF customer service is outstanding. I was in a training class and lost a cap screw. Called and told them the situation. Had them at the class the next day. One of the many reasons I buy NF.


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
DirtyDave
Ten Point
 
DirtyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Decatur
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
Can you take a picture of the scope/rings/rail and post it? If anything, you should be low when mounted on a 20moa rail. Nightforce warranty will take care of you if the scope is at fault.
You got that backwards.
If you optically center the scope and put it on a 20moa rail, your POI should be 20moa high. (this is theory as far as optical line of sight and barrel line of sight)
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
DirtyDave
Ten Point
 
DirtyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Decatur
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas89 View Post
No the zero stop was backed all the way off


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You sure the zero stop isn't all the way the wrong way?
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
Is your turret moving the reticle at all? It may have been stripped somehow. Those vertical split rings will cause zero shift but regardless, the scope should zero.
Never seen or heard of Warne split rings not holding zero.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #15
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default

Update. Contacted NF and they are convinced there is something wrong with the clutch system in the elevation turret. Sending it in today and theyíre going to get it taken care of.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #16
DirtyDave
Ten Point
 
DirtyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Decatur
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Never seen or heard of Warne split rings not holding zero.
Agreed. I've never had ANY rings cause zero shift as long as they were installed correctly.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #17
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas89 View Post
Update. Contacted NF and they are convinced there is something wrong with the clutch system in the elevation turret. Sending it in today and theyíre going to get it taken care of.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Good deal


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #18
Hunter Dan
Ten Point
 
Hunter Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melissa TX
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

Had this same issue with my swaroski, had to watch a video to take it apart and adjust the zero.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #19
texag93
Pope & Young
 
texag93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Have you run the adjustments all the way up and down to see you have full range of adjustment? Sounds like the Zero Stop has you stopping short of zero.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #20
rbm
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Put it in Burris Signature rings and center the reticle using the inserts, a -20 and a +20 will get you 40 moa of adjustment up or down depending on how you arrange them.
rbm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #21
cantexduck
Pope & Young
 
cantexduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florence,Texas/ Willamson
Hunt In: all over central Texas
Default

Had the same issue on my swaro. It was the zero stop.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #22
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Never seen or heard of Warne split rings not holding zero.
Use em all you want then👍🏻
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #23
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
Use em all you want then����
Did you have some that slipped or moved?

I have used the Warne on some of my inexpensive hunting rifles but none of them have hard recoil. But if they do not hold it would be good info for me.

Last edited by Radar; 12-05-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #24
hweissert
Ten Point
 
hweissert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bonham
Hunt In: Panhandle, Fannin, Grayson, Kansas, Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Did you have some that slipped or moved?

I have used the Warne on some of my hunting rifles but none of them have hard recoil. But if they do not hold it would be good info for me.
I had a set that did. Thought it was a scope issue. Recoil was mild on a 284 Win with break. Swapped scopes on rifles same with the one I put on it and the one I pulled off held fine with regular mount rings. Threw them in the trash and all is well now. Don't know if it is all but, I wouldn't buy another set to try it either.
hweissert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #25
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweissert View Post
I had a set that did. Thought it was a scope issue. Recoil was mild on a 284 Win with break. Swapped scopes on rifles same with the one I put on it and the one I pulled off held fine with regular mount rings. Threw them in the trash and all is well now. Don't know if it is all but, I wouldn't buy another set to try it either.
I have Larue vertical split rings and Warne. I followed the torque specs and sequence when mounting them, never seen any problems, but I do not have them on any match rifles or custom rifles.

I have read on other forums of guys crushing scope tubes or marring up aluminum bases with Warne though. I just thought it was the guy over torquing.

I learned something new today and it was good info. I paid a lot of money for the Larue mounts.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #26
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Did you have some that slipped or moved?

I have used the Warne on some of my inexpensive hunting rifles but none of them have hard recoil. But if they do not hold it would be good info for me.
Yes, I have had a LaRue mount slip as well as a Vortex AR mount on my varmint .223 rifle that requires a zero before trusting it. There are several tests done (one by Frank at Snipershide) that link scope movement to vertical split rings with the center stud. Again, Iím not trying to force my opinion and if they work for you, run em!
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #27
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
Yes, I have had a LaRue mount slip as well as a Vortex AR mount on my varmint .223 rifle that requires a zero before trusting it. There are several tests done (one by Frank at Snipershide) that link scope movement to vertical split rings with the center stud. Again, Iím not trying to force my opinion and if they work for you, run em!
Thanks.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 08:24 AM   #28
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default

Well good news is that nightforce fixed the scope. Ended up being an issue in the internals and they had to completely gut the reticle and put in all new parts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #29
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young
 
Pushbutton2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Van,TX
Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas89 View Post
Well good news is that nightforce fixed the scope. Ended up being an issue in the internals and they had to completely gut the reticle and put in all new parts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #30
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas89 View Post
Well good news is that nightforce fixed the scope. Ended up being an issue in the internals and they had to completely gut the reticle and put in all new parts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sucks that it happened. I know how anxious you can get to play with new glass. Glad they made it right though!
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #31
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

No question they would make it right. Glad itís been sorted out for ya!


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #32
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas89 View Post
Well good news is that nightforce fixed the scope. Ended up being an issue in the internals and they had to completely gut the reticle and put in all new parts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a 2-20? How are you liking it so far?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 01:29 PM   #33
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Looks like a 2-20? How are you liking it so far?


Right now all I can say is the glass is very clear. Unfortunately there was a problem with the zero stop and I had to send it back for warranty. They have fixed it and are sending it back after the holidays


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #34
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

that ATLAS looks darn good brother, long action - What is the barrel chambered in ?

huge fan of KELBLY products
Cajun Blake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #35
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
that ATLAS looks darn good brother, long action - What is the barrel chambered in ?

huge fan of KELBLY products


Youíll be a big fan of the chambering too. .280ai


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #36
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas89 View Post
Right now all I can say is the glass is very clear. Unfortunately there was a problem with the zero stop and I had to send it back for warranty. They have fixed it and are sending it back after the holidays


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howís it compare to the atacr so far? I know your use is limited so far. I have one headed my way. A 4-32x50 F1 MilC
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #37
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Howís it compare to the atacr so far? I know your use is limited so far. I have one headed my way. A 4-32x50 F1 MilC


Not as clear as the atacr however, Iím not sure the atacr is worth the extra $1300 either. Itís very short though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #38
Stick1
Ten Point
 
Stick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lone Star State
Hunt In: Hardeman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Howís it compare to the atacr so far? I know your use is limited so far. I have one headed my way. A 4-32x50 F1 MilC
I've got both the 4-32 and 2.5-20. I really thought I would prefer the 2.5-20 for what I am using them for, but the 4-32 seems to have slightly better glass(which may just be my samples). It seems to be closer to my ATACRs than the 2.5-20, but neither are quite at that level. Both are a step up from the NXS.

What I found interesting is the actual weight difference between the 2 versions is less than 1 oz on our shop scale. The footprint on the 32 is not that much bigger either. I'd say the glass difference between my 2 are about the same as the difference between the 5-25 and 7-35 ATACR. Some folks will see it, some won't. It's small.

I borrowed a 2.5-20 to go on my SD hunt in November since mine wasn't here yet, and did observe some tracking error in that one. I haven't tested mine yet on the tall target. There isn't much room for rings on either
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #39
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
I've got both the 4-32 and 2.5-20. I really thought I would prefer the 2.5-20 for what I am using them for, but the 4-32 seems to have slightly better glass(which may just be my samples). It seems to be closer to my ATACRs than the 2.5-20, but neither are quite at that level. Both are a step up from the NXS.

What I found interesting is the actual weight difference between the 2 versions is less than 1 oz on our shop scale. The footprint on the 32 is not that much bigger either. I'd say the glass difference between my 2 are about the same as the difference between the 5-25 and 7-35 ATACR. Some folks will see it, some won't. It's small.

I borrowed a 2.5-20 to go on my SD hunt in November since mine wasn't here yet, and did observe some tracking error in that one. I haven't tested mine yet on the tall target. There isn't much room for rings on either
Anxious to get mine. If itís a winner Iíll sell the atacr and get another one. Just Leary that the atacr is better
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #40
Texas89
Ten Point
 
Texas89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Round Rock/Columbus
Hunt In: Columbus
Default

Just got tracking from Nightforce on Friday. They have completed the repair and the scope if smoking back with Fedex. Didnít cost me a dime. Good folks over there for sure.
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #41
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young
 
sierracharlie338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Republic of Texas (Houston)
Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas89 View Post
Just got tracking from Nightforce on Friday. They have completed the repair and the scope if smoking back with Fedex. Didnít cost me a dime. Good folks over there for sure.

Yes indeed. Glad to hear it man.


Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com