Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone fixed a herniated disc without surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone fixed a herniated disc without surgery?

I have a pretty bad disc herniation between my S5 and L1. It’s been kicking my ***. Wasn’t 100% sure what it was until Friday. Gonna try to lose 10-15 pounds and now that I know exactly what’s up try a different chiropractor. Anyone have any other advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure there is a way without surgery. Best of luck to you. Been dealing with L4 & L5 for around 15 years now myself. I keep telling myself to get surgery done just cant convince myself to take the time off to get it done.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I feel for you..... I’ve been living the dream for several years now.
      I’ve had to keep in my mind to not over do while working and remember my limitations , but have had a couple setbacks.
      Also I’ve been using an inversion table daily, which has been a tremendous help.
      Never be the same but I’m good with that

Good luck, hope you heal up

Comment

Get an epidural steroid injection. Find a sports therapist that does dry needling (acupuncture) and have them give you some PT and exercises to help get fixed up. You can probably work through it with the right person.

I work with a guy in Houston that is fantastic and has really helped me, I had three bulged discs in my neck and they are all under control now.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          I have a pretty bad disc herniation between my S5 and L1. It’s been kicking my ***. Wasn’t 100% sure what it was until Friday. Gonna try to lose 10-15 pounds and now that I know exactly what’s up try a different chiropractor. Anyone have any other advice?

How bad is the herniation? They should have told you how many millimeters it's bulged out.

Comment

20 years ago I had 2 Dr.'s tell me I needed surgery for mine. I had a chiropractor that was a sports therapy guy for the Cleveland Browns convince me he could fix me.
            The first time he manipulated me I came off the table and onto the floor, it hurt and I was having none of it but he kept at me and after a few months I was better and about 6 months the pain went away and I have never had a problem since.

Comment

I have had two. No surgery, but it takes a lot of time and pain. There is no guarantee that it will work for you. I am super careful about how I use my back now. I don't limit the weight but I am very conscious of posture and proper lifting technique. My first herniation occurred when I bent down and twisted at the same time to pick up a pencil that I had dropped. The second occurred while using a square nose shovel moving dirt and twisting to put it into the wheelbarrow. It wasn't heavy work at all.

Comment

I had injections on my L6 (I think?) when I was 18. A big fall led to the herniation of that disk. Haven’t had much of a problem with it since then, but still isn’t 100%.

Comment

I injured my L4/L5, L5/S1 in 1996. Epidural steroids(one round) and PT fixed me right up. It flares up from time to time.

Funny thing is, the 6 months I was off the job there was an arsonist in our territory. My first shift back we had 5 working structure fires and the caught the guy. It sure would have been fun to have a few more shifts like that.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                    I had injections on my L6 (I think?) when I was 18.
                    Probably L5/S1. L5 is the last of the lumbar vertebra. S1 is the first sacral vertebra. The disc is between them.

Comment

There really is no "fixing" a disc without surgery. Your body might heal, but the herniation will be there. Different things work for different people, but what has worked the best for me is a strong core and I've been doing Radio Frequency Ablations where the burn the medial branch nerve coming out of the facet joints. L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                        Probably L5/S1. L5 is the last of the lumbar vertebra. S1 is the first sacral vertebra. The disc is between them.
                        Going from memory, approximately 5-10% of people have a L6 vertebral body. I can't remember if the study was of the general population or those with low back pain who presented for x-ray/MRI. They have L5-L6 and L6-S1. This extra level often develops Bertolotti's (spelling?) syndrome which is basically lumbosacral transitional vertebrae. It is not uncommon to effectively have a congenital fusion at this level--if present.

To the OP, look into McKenzie protocol/exercises for LBP. Lay off the chiropractic treatment and go to a MD or DO.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                          Get an epidural steroid injection. Find a sports therapist that does dry needling (acupuncture) and have them give you some PT and exercises to help get fixed up. You can probably work through it with the right person.

I work with a guy in Houston that is fantastic and has really helped me, I had three bulged discs in my neck and they are all under control now.
                          This. PT is key. If your chiropractor isn't partnered with a PT, I would stay away. Too many horror stories of chiropractors giving a quick fix.

OP, as you said, losing weight is the first step. Once you drop your 10-15 lbs, combined with PT, you will feel better. Don't run to surgery. That will slow you down in the back country, and I enjoy reading about your hunts too much to hear you can't do them anymore after surgery.

Comment

I ordered a cupping therapy set on Amazon for my shoulder. It made a unbelievablely huge difference after only a few sessions. And the great thing is it was around $25.

Comment

I have ran the course on steroids, therapy, pain killers. Funny you post this. I’m going to use spinal decompression therapy after thanksgiving. I’ll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X