New car shopping question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After entering info on true car for a new car for my wife I received a few quotes from area dealers. The dealer with the color she wants mentioned in the email that it’s an exclusive offer for me, a true car member. I hate the new vehicle buying game, have never used true car and just want to get it over with without getting too ripped off. What are yalls thoughts on me making a counter offer that would be the equivalent of their price after tax?

2019 Honda Civic Sport

Also, what are they going to try to upsale on me?

if you don't try a counter offer you will never know, I would for sure. I hate buying cars also

Comment

Go low and work up. Keep the payment you want up front with them and stick to your guns. If they want to sale you will buy attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Youngblood View Post
        Go low and work up. Keep the payment you want up front with them and stick to your guns. If they want to sale you will buy attitude.

Never mention a payment and dont let them. Stick with the out the door price. There are tons of online calculators you can figure the payment out on in seconds

Comment

I typically don't buy new cars because of the crooked dealers ... they are NOT there for you, only themselves. Keep that in mind foremost.

Comment

Open road auto concierge service!

Dorian is the best at finding you the absolute best possible deal. The wife and I used his service on the new car she just got as well as the trade in she had and got BY FAR a better deal on both than I could have ever imagined.

I’ll NEVER buy another vehicle without using him

If you have any other questions about him shoot me a pm

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
              After entering info on true car for a new car for my wife I received a few quotes from area dealers. The dealer with the color she wants mentioned in the email that it’s an exclusive offer for me, a true car member. I hate the new vehicle buying game, have never used true car and just want to get it over with without getting too ripped off. What are yalls thoughts on me making a counter offer that would be the equivalent of their price after tax?

2019 Honda Civic Sport

Also, what are they going to try to upsale on me?

I have used True Car for my last 3 Honda Accords. I ignore all responses for about 3 weeks. After that you will see who wants to make a sell. I have gotten some real good deals from Honda of Ft. Worth using TC.com

Comment

Research the car you want and decide what you addre willing to pay then stick to it. Never go with what your payment will be only out the door. My wife buys a ne Honda every 2 to 3 years because of high milage. I bought my last truck completely on line, worked great for me.

Comment

Rule of thumb is 18 percent of msrp unless it is special addition vehicle.

Comment

Don’t be afraid to walk, wait a day or two and see if they call. If and when they call they are ready to make a deal. Whatever you do DO NOT SHOW NEW CAR FEVER that is when they will stick to the higher price, act as of you can live without it

Comment

Do not say anything about payment. Never.
                      Do not EVER tell them what you owe on your trade in (if you have one).
                      Do not pay for dealer ad on’s like nitrogen in the tires and dealer added tint or paint protection....etc.
                      Do not use their financing unless it’s 0% interest for the life of the loan.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                        Do not pay for dealer ad on’s like nitrogen in the tires and dealer added tint or paint protection....etc.
                        Using their expensive financing to obtain a big discount when buying a car is a great tactic.

Then when the first bill arrives write a check for the remaining balance.

Comment

I agree 100% with the first 3 points above. Have a quote from your credit union before you go car shopping so you know what a good interest rate is. I've heard good things about Costco's car buying service, although I have never used it.

When I was shopping for my Toyota Camry almost 11 years ago, Rockwall Toyota was having their grand opening and selling all cars "at invoice". We test drove some, and were ready to buy one until they came back saying that nitrogen in the tires was $379, window tint was about $500, undercoating was another $600. They had added about $1500 in BS "dealer add ons". To make a long story short, I walked and purchased from a dealer I trusted, and paid less money in the end. The dealer I bought from charged me $10 for the nitrogen in the tires, window tint was $100 and undercoating was free.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                            Using their expensive financing to obtain a big discount when buying a car is a great tactic.

Then when the first bill arrives write a check for the remaining balance.
                            Although I can’t speak on passenger cars, but on trucks, that big discount for using their financing is usually $1000. My credit union offers me 1.9%-2.1% depending for the life of the loan, BUT they will not allow you to refi a loan with them. So I’m not able to use the dealership financing and then pay it off after 30-60 days and let my credit union pick it up. They simply won’t do it. Never have.

Also, there are two parts to a car deal from a dealers standpoint. There is the money that is made on the “front end” and the money that is made on the “back end”. The dealer will also try to get a point or two off your financing (if it isn’t zero %). This is why they push their financing so hard. These are all things the average Joe doesn’t know and doesn’t care about because they just want to “get it over with and done”.

Comment

Although I can’t speak on passenger cars, but on trucks, that big discount for using their financing is usually $1000. My credit union offers me 1.9%-2.1% depending for the life of the loan, BUT they will not allow you to refi a loan with them. So I’m not able to use the dealership financing and then pay it off after 30-60 days and let my credit union pick it up. They simply won’t do it. Never have.

Also, there are two parts to a car deal from a dealers standpoint. There is the money that is made on the “front end” and the money that is made on the “back end”. The dealer will also try to get a point or two off your financing (if it isn’t zero %). This is why they push their financing so hard. These are all things the average Joe doesn’t know and doesn’t care about because they just want to “get it over with and done”.

No refinancing, pay cash when that first bill comes due. Get your discount and dont let them make their money on the back end.

Some dealer discounts are much more than 1 thousand.

It's tough buying a new vehicle because you are gonna get screwed. Just have to manage to get screwed the least amout you can.

Those 4 points are good ones though.

The add ins are ridiculous and some lots have them on every vehicle it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X