Help with Tikka ammo choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Tikka ammo choice

I have a new Tikka T3x 308. Barrel was cut and crowned to 20". Rifle and scope weigh 7# on the dot.

It shoots Hornady 178gr eld-x and Black Hills 168 gr Match Boat Tails in small groups.

It shoots Nosler 165 Accubonds pretty good but will string out every 2nd or 3rd shot.

It shoots Federdal 165 gr Fusions and Federal 150 gr TSX in 2-3" groups.

What off the shelf ammo should I try next? I'd like it to be a tough bullet...I want to use this gun for mulies/elk. I know I could use the eld-x but it's basically a cup and core bullet.

The rifle is light and harder to shoot accurately than my heavier rifles, but I've shot enough good groups with it that I don't think I'm the problem. Scope and mounts are all torqued to spec with removable loctite.
    Last edited by TxAg; 08-24-2019, 06:08 PM.

Maybe try a Hornady GMX or a Barnes TTSX. Neither is going to be the cheapest option out there, but they both perform well in my 308's. It will obviously want to be in the 168 GR range though.

Comment

Mine likes the 165 Nosler Accubonds

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtproy View Post
        Mine likes the 165 Nosler Accubonds
        Wish mine like em a little better

Comment

Bump

Comment

Knocked a mulie down in Montana last year with my Winchester XPR .308 using 165 Accubonds.. Just bought a Tikka superlite in .308 and mounted my Vortex on it. Haven't made it to range yet but will be bringing the Fusion and Accubonds with me.

Comment

My T3 .22-250 likes the 50 gr barnes tsx

Comment

Everything I have has liked the Hornady ammo. I always liked the interlock bullet, but it is a cup and core. I would try some of the premium Hornady ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                  Everything I have has liked the Hornady ammo. I always liked the interlock bullet, but it is a cup and core. I would try some of the premium Hornady ammo.
                  Maybe that's what it'll take. My Tikka 6.5 manbun love the Hornady stuff.

Comment

Shoot the ELDX and don't worry about it--

I wouldn't be comfortable with a mono bullet b/c you don't get enough velocity for proper terminal performance in a short .308.

Otherwise I would try HSM with a 168 VLD or the Hornady Black 168gr AMAX-- I killed several deer and red stag with that load last year from a factory gun it was .75moa or better.

Comment

My old Tikka 7mm-08 loved Barnes TTSX

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                        Forgot to add, my T3 lite in 25-06 loves the Hornady American hunter. It also likes the handloads I have fed it, but it took about 45 to 50 rounds before it would group. I was pretty discouraged, until the second range trip, and all of a sudden, bingo, great groups. The faster I load them, the better it groups. Used TTXS, and nosler ballistic tips handloading so far. Waiting for clearance from my neurosurgeon to shoot again. Also need to work on my new to me Weatherby MKV ultralight in 25-06 I picked up from a friend who needed money. I have had it a year and have not shot it yet. See the doc tomorrow, maybe I will get cleared. I have partitions that I hope both rifles shoot. I don't have confidence in the mono bullets yet.

Comment

^^^ Thanks

Comment

Only other thing I can think of is bedding it in a fiberglass/aluminum stock.

Comment

Barnes 130gr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X