6 Dasher vs. 6X47 Lapua for PRS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 Dasher vs. 6X47 Lapua for PRS?

Kinda wanting to try some PRS shooting and I have reamers for both (good excuse for me to build a sweet one for myself). Doing some homework to see if one has more advantages over the other but I'm getting a bit of a toss-up thus far. Seems the Dasher is more common in the PRS game but figured I'd throw it out there to see what y'all think.

I don’t have any first hand experience with either calibers, but I will say 6mm dasher is more common. So you should be able to get some better wind calls, etc on the stages from previous shooters. I personally shoot 6.5 just due to the common availability of information.

If you do go the 6dasher route be prepared to be made fun of when you lose brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How much do you like forming brass? At PRS ranges I would not venture further than a .045 fb 6br. I might just run factory Lapua 105 in it as well. [emoji6]

Ahh feeding issues, if you do not have a BigHorn action, you need one!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

6mm GT is looking interesting too. Looks like dies and reamers are out now. Brass is a couple weeks out.

Comment

Those are some solid memes.

HIC, fire forming isn't a showstopper for me, it's the possible feeding issue that would concern me and I don't really want to have to build a gun around an action just so it feeds but it seems to be the cool kid in school right now. I've just got a bunch of Lapua 6BR brass as I have a 6BR (may come up for sale soon) so I'd have brass covered. HOWEVER, as Bowpro12 said, the 6mm Gay Tiger (I found that funny) is looking promising but we'll see how easy it is to get brass. I'm leaning to the 6X47 as I've resized brass plenty both up and down for multiple cartridges with good results and it seems you don't hear about the feeding issues like you do with the Dasher so that my reasoning there. Not wanting to wait forever on an action so I'm gonna poke around and see what I can dig up as any of the top actions are sold out and way out on wait best I can tell.

Comment

I have never had an issue feeding Dashers in my Curtis Vector. I can say the same about Impact actions.
            I would research the 6BRA as well as it is easier to form brass and shoots right there with a Dasher.
            6GT will be a good combination of everything mixed in to provide the perfect PRS round. I am currently pretty well invested in Dasher but looking into the GT.
            With that said, you can easily load the 6x47 to match GT velocity window of 3050 but it will take another ~2 grains of powder to do it.
            In summation, pick one and learn to call wind.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
              Those are some solid memes.

HIC, fire forming isn't a showstopper for me, it's the possible feeding issue that would concern me and I don't really want to have to build a gun around an action just so it feeds but it seems to be the cool kid in school right now. I've just got a bunch of Lapua 6BR brass as I have a 6BR (may come up for sale soon) so I'd have brass covered. HOWEVER, as Bowpro12 said, the 6mm Gay Tiger (I found that funny) is looking promising but we'll see how easy it is to get brass. I'm leaning to the 6X47 as I've resized brass plenty both up and down for multiple cartridges with good results and it seems you don't hear about the feeding issues like you do with the Dasher so that my reasoning there. Not wanting to wait forever on an action so I'm gonna poke around and see what I can dig up as any of the top actions are sold out and way out on wait best I can tell.
              Check out Altus, they keep a decent choice of popular actions in stock and are great people to deal with. Krieger has some 4 groove 6mm barrels ready to ship right now as well.

Many will argue that the heart of any precision rifle system is the action it's built upon. The Impact Precision 737R, Defiance Machine Deviant Tactical, Bighorn TL3, Curtis Custom Vector, and Surgeon 591 all make up the actions most sought out by the nation's top shooters.
              Last edited by -HIC-; 08-08-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                Check out Altus, they keep a decent choice of popular actions in stock and are great people to deal with. Krieger has some 4 groove 6mm barrels ready to ship right now as well.

https://www.altusshooting.com/collec...onents/actions
                I checked Atlus out and talked to the fellas at bugholes and hey have a few SA Deviants as well but gonna look at the Curtis, Bighorn and Impact as well. Atlus does carry a pretty nice selection so I'll holler at them too. I've got a couple Bartlein 6MM M24's at the shop so one of those will get turned for this project and I made a helluva deal on a primed only McMillan A5 so I've got that sitting around needing a purpose in life. I have a few Jewells waiting for a home but I'm thinking about looking at the Trigger Tech Diamond as well. I don't have any experience with them but, again, they seem to be the cool kid in school so they must be doing something real right.
                Last edited by kck; 08-08-2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                  I checked Atlus out and talked to the fellas at bugholes and hey have a few SA Deviants as well but gonna look at the Curtis, Bighorn and Impact as well. Atlus does carry a pretty nice selection so I'll holler at them too. I've got a couple Bartlein 6MM M24's at the shop so one of those will get turned for this project and I made a helluva deal on a primed only McMillan A5 so I've got that sitting around needing a purpose in life.
                  If you call Tate direct with Impact, he can ship you an action tomorrow from Oklahoma.

Comment

Nice. I figured they had a lead time but if they have some in stock I may have them send me one.

Comment

Besides feeding issues, the Dasher comes with several other problems......like winning matches, being able to watch your trace through the scope, easy load development and making you feel sorry for the other 6mm cartridges. But you can get over most of those issues pretty easily, it just takes a little time

Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of them. The BRA as mentioned above is worth looking into. If I wasn't heavily invested in the Dasher, I'd be running one right now. They all pretty much rock for PRS. The BR variants will probably buy you a little extra barrel life over the x47, but the 47 will feed reliably with no mag kits and add a few fps. So its really a wash, even more so since you are spinning your own barrels.

I'm running a Curtis on mine right now, but after building a couple on our G2 and watching them run, I'll be making the switch when this barrel is gone. They feed like they want to do it with the controlled round feature, instead of being pushed into submission. The only glitches I've seen with the short cases is when the ejector plunger pushes them out of alignment right at the finish line, or they get released early in the extraction cycle when they "bounce" off the inside of the receiver before clearing the ejection port. CRF fixes both issues, but they can be made to run in any system without too much trouble.

If you go impact and there aren't any in stock, I'm pretty sure I know where some are at. And yeah, I'm pretty much "that guy" looking for my lost brass while the rest of the squad is heading to the next stage

Comment

Anyone have any experience with the CRF offering from Defiance? Looks like the best from Impact and Bighorn packed into that action..

Robert, I have most of that brass on the second or third firing.

Comment

We've done a few of the "elite" versions, but not the standard claw version. They seem pretty dang nice, like you would expect from Defiance.

Comment

Robert, I was hoping you would jump in on this one and I'm glad you did. I'll save everyone my ramblings and give you a shout.

Comment

G2 from APR will be the centerpiece of this build. Good to talk to you Robert and I'm pretty !@#$ excited about that action!

Comment

Working...
                              X