Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four Days & 2 Mule Deer tags where can I go to fill these tag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Days & 2 Mule Deer tags where can I go to fill these tag?

I am wanting to plan a hunt next month to attempt to fill at least one Mule Deer tag. I'm not from Texas, so I don't know my way around. I've hunted Montana, Idaho and Colorado, so I'm willing and able to go the extra mile. I need help and suggestions. Prefer DIY Public but perhaps private if price is right.

RedTail Hunter

Only way to get a public land Muley here is through the TPWD draw system. That, or I think you can hunt Lake Meridith with everyone else looking for one...

Comment

Yea, pretty sure there is nowhere available in Texas for a public muley hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
        Only way to get a public land Muley here is through the TPWD draw system. That, or I think you can hunt Lake Meridith with everyone else looking for one...
        Those draw hunts have already been drawn but you can sometimes get on as a standby. Of course that's presumably a long way to travel to take your chances on a standby.

Comment

How does the standby work?

Comment

For standby spots, you show up the day of the orientation hoping that some of the folks that drew will not show up. They people who show up for standby will have their name put in a hat to draw for those open spots. I've heard of some places having more standby spots than hunters to fill them. Odds are usually pretty decent as most folks don't have a flexible enough schedule to do standby. You can call ahead of time and see how many standby positions are available. They will know based on how many people sent in their permit fee.

Comment

Many of the mule deer hunts don't do standby drawings, as they're too far off the beaten path. Call ahead before you make the drive to make sure they are going to have a standby drawing.

Comment

Working...
              X