Public land deer..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public land deer..........

This is my first year hunting public land and I have a question. First let me say 95% of my hunting is done during the week. Okay the area that I have been hunt seems to be pretty good, but I don’t care how early I get to the woods there is always deer waiting on me as soon as I start walking down the trail to my stand there goes those eyes and the snorts. The bad thing is that I don’t think there is another way to get to my stand. Has anyone else experienced this on public land? Any suggestions.

You have to get there earlier, or find another way in. Otherwise, find another place to hunt. If you scare them out, the hunt is over before it started.

Comment

are you hunting a bedding area? Sounds like you may walking through a bedding area.

Comment

It’s not a bedding area but a long narrow oaks head it may be 75 yards wide in some areas and 20 in others it runs down to a thick bottom. It’s a good funnel. It has trails on either side that you can walk.

Comment

You'll probably "spoil" the area for a couple of hours but other deer might come along,especially during the rut. Or the deer you spooked might relax and come back by. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just try to make as little ruckus as possible going in. I've hunted the WMA's in n.e. Texas over 25 years and see tons of action around 9 am,even though I often spook deer going in at 5 am.

Comment

Thank's for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by grigg061 View Post
              This is my first year hunting public land and I have a question. First let me say 95% of my hunting is done during the week. Okay the area that I have been hunt seems to be pretty good, but I don’t care how early I get to the woods there is always deer waiting on me as soon as I start walking down the trail to my stand there goes those eyes and the snorts. The bad thing is that I don’t think there is another way to get to my stand. Has anyone else experienced this on public land? Any suggestions.
              Thats the full moon pattern.
              1) wait a couple weeks as the night darkens
              2) You are ON Deer!! Just wait for the Rut!!

Right now the deer are moving (more) late evening.

Again, watch the moon phase. Full moons always cause early (dark) movement. It waining now

Comment

I've Hunted National forest For 19yrs I agree with buzzcut&grizz Just get there early around an hour or so before shoting time and wait.Hunt until late morning. And then when the rut picks up you'll see.Just don't be in my area

Comment

I think you are doing good to see deer consistently on public land. Did you try hunting this spot in the afternoon. May be you could get there early afternoon and you might be good. Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by grigg061 View Post
                    It’s not a bedding area but a long narrow oaks head it may be 75 yards wide in some areas and 20 in others it runs down to a thick bottom. It’s a good funnel. It has trails on either side that you can walk.
                    The experience I have had with those "Nice" looking Oak stands on public land is that you only see deer enter them after dark...STAY OUT of those areas. Move back towards the thick cover you had mentioned and catch them going going into that cover when it gets light and coming out in the evening. Look for "Tunneling" they create in that really thick stuff where they enter/exit and set up for the wind. MOST importantly if that area is as good as you describe DO NOT go in there unless the wind is "right" or they will move on (for the most part) or change the time when they visit there.

Comment

Any Luck?

Another idea I've read in a Bill Winke article is that if you run to your stand you may be more likely to sound like another animal running through wich may actually spook deer less. You might even try making a deer snort first. Whitetails will often spook for anything and consequently don't take every time they spook seriously. Also during the rut, running may make you sound like you're merely a couple deer involved in a chase scene. You never know, you could get away with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X