Newton county Bowhunting only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newton county Bowhunting only

Do any of ya'll hunt the Newton county bowhunting only land? What do you think about it?

ttt

Comment

I think I remember reading somewhere that they had a whole lot of trouble with poachers and people running dogs out there. I'll be interested to hear what others that have more experience with it have to say.

Comment

I've hunted out there for about 3 years, I just wanted to know if anyone else did. I've had some luck but it is hard. If you live close you can hunt it better. It is hard hunting but there are some good deer. I've really never had any trouble with people either. It is a huge piece of property. lets here some more

Comment

Cool, sounds like it might be a decent place to look into for next year.
          I remembered where I read about the poachers and stuff and went back and read over it again... They said that a few years ago they were having lots of trouble with poachers and people running dogs so they made it bow only so they could bust them easier... In the past few years since then the doe population has rebounded and the deer herd is getting better. Don't know if it's true or not but that's what the article said.

Comment

That is true but the deer herd is better now. I just don't get out there enough!

Comment

Been hunting it for years. It has gotten better but it will all be gone in a couple of years. This info is coming straight from the Game Wardens and from the timber company that I leased from. I leased a nice piece of ground that has been bow only type II for quite some time. I left it bow only and we'll just have to see how it goes. I have taken some nice deer with bow over the last few years but if I were you I wouldn't put all my eggs in the type II basket. You may want to lease some of the property for yourself next year before all the good areas are taken. Let me know if I can help.
              As far as the dog hunters are concerned I can vouch for that but there are 3 Newton county GW's in our area and believe me when I say I have them all on speed dial. It will be an uphill battle but I'm willing to do my part to chip away at the situation.
              When it comes to poaching what can you say? ET has a long history of this and is the brunt of many jokes on here but I think there is poaching everywhere. I'll bet there is not a county anywhere in the state of TX that hasn't had a poaching offense. I've even heard of people poaching or attempting to poach the King Ranch. Criminals do not care what zip code they are in. I guess most of them are born and raised in ET though.
              I will be hunting what's left of the type II as well and maybe we'll see ya there. Good Luck

Comment

Crunchtime could you explain what's happening with this area and why all the type II will be gone in a couple of years? Is the land being sold? Or are the owners (timber company I assume) leasing the land to individual hunters or groups? It would be interesting to know.

Comment

Originally posted by JimGun View Post
                  Crunchtime could you explain what's happening with this area and why all the type II will be gone in a couple of years? Is the land being sold? Or are the owners (timber company I assume) leasing the land to individual hunters or groups? It would be interesting to know.
                  I don't have all the facts but I "think" they (TPWD) have figured out that the people that lease the property from the timber companies will monitor and take better care of the property as well as road repair. Leases do not tolerate the dog hunters like public hunters will either. The land is not being sold and if it were it would more than likely be sold to another timber company. They would more than likely still lease it out. Money also has something to do with it. At $4, $5, or $6 per acre (sometimes more) I'm sure it is a financial gain for the timber companies to lease instead of type II revenue.

Comment

I kinda like what I just heard. I would love to lease some of the type 2 land out there. How do u go about doing that. Or a spot on a bow only east texas property?

Comment

I have been hunting this for 2 years now. it has a good deer population

Comment

I think Newton County was mentioned in a TPWD article. The quote was something like "Newton County has the most light shy deer of the whole state". The biologist had no luck doing spotlight counts at night.

Hunt the branches. Usually a trail following both sides of a branch.

Comment

Went and scouted it a bit this year. Found a few decent spots but looked like there might be someone already hunting it so I haven't been out there again. Might go later on in the year.

Comment

I live 10 minutes from type 2. It is some good hunting. Yall need any help let me know.

Comment

Im on the bow only lease with Kevin (crunchtime) this is my 3rd season absolutely love it. Going back to a previous comment about the spotlighting I can imagine that's accurate but the woods are so thick over there it would be pretty much like spotlighting the roads. They have been doing some cutting and things have opened up but its still hard hunting. Coach 2 the land Kevin acquired was 1550 acres roughly and keep about 10 members on it to give everyone room to move. It is expensive doing it that way but well worth it imo. If im not mistaken he contacted Campbell directly and the only reason they haven't got rid of the remaining land is because they didn't have enough leasers when the contract was up so they signed another contract for a few years. The game wardens have done a pretty jam up job keeping the outlaws at bay compared to what it use to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X