Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 10-22-2018, 11:34 PM   #1
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Carthage TX, Victoria TX
Default Hopefully no more rodents?

Iím probably the only one crazy enough to spend the time to do this, hopefully it works! Last deer season the rats ate my air conditioning wire, insulation, and other things under my travel trailer. There was also a opossum that was sleeping in the insulation below the plywood floor. After poisons, moth balls, and several other items that were supposed to deter rodents they seemed to keep coming. I decided to bring my trailer home and fix the damage and try to ďCage them outĒ. I screwed a 1x4 to the frame the length of the trailer then screwed expanded metal lath to the 1x4 and sheet metal on the bottom edge of the trailer. It goes all the way across the bottom of the trailer from side to side. The metal is overlapped several inches and wired together where it laps. Itís very secure and I HOPE IT WORKS!
Name:  3E4800A1-AB70-4B55-9038-239BAC038341.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  98.5 KB
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #2
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Well, if nothing else you tried. Looks like a bunch of time and expense so I hope it works for you.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #3
Keith
Administrator

Good luck, I hope it works for you.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #4
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Name:  A4E877F8-0DA8-4BB5-9B7F-33AA8B83286A.jpeg
Views: 1449
Size:  215.5 KB
Old 10-22-2018, 11:40 PM   #5
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Name:  D5DD5671-617D-4E93-BC2F-03D42BA169B1.jpeg
Views: 1441
Size:  238.6 KB
Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Well, if nothing else you tried. Looks like a bunch of time and expense so I hope it works for you.
I have a decent amount of time in it but mainly just a few hours in the evenings after work and when I had time. Expense wise I didnít spend much because we sell these items where I work so it cost me about $80 total. The expanded metal is galvanized.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
rtjh
Four Point

I wish you the best, but when I tried this it didnt phase mice from getting into our trailer. I never could figure out how they were getting in.

We ended up putting a commercial grade noise emitter inside the trailer. You can hear it 50 yards away its so loud. We still get the occasional mouse but for the most part it works. Keeping the grass mowed around camp and not storing extra corn there seems to have helped too.
rtjh is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
rtjh
Four Point

This isn't the exact one we have but its similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-El.../dp/B00FKPXS7M
rtjh is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Boy, they really pi$$ed you off. Don't forget to stuff a rag in the power cord hole, That's how they got into mine, walked right up the power cord.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

You would have an easier time keeping air out, but u get an A for effort right there!
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #11
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for a drama free lease...if it exists anymore

We had some similar issues and besides keeping the grass down i read bout putting mothballs in gallon jugs of water and poking holes in them ( i had tried just scattering mothballs everywhere around and under the trailer with no luck) after putting a jug at each corner of a 32í trailer we didnt have any more issues the 2 years we were there and ine of those years rats where running around everywhere. Other guys at camp hat traps and poison and still having issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #12
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

A couple of pet rat snakes or coachwhips would have been easier and you would have had company to sleep with on cold nights.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
A couple of pet rat snakes or coachwhips would have been easier and you would have had company to sleep with on cold nights.
And they could keep you cool on hot nights!!
denimdeerslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

Dang
BeetleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #15
NaClH2O_therapy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County, Matagorda County

anyone else with tips for rodent control. I'm taking my brand new 36' Forest River Vibe 308 BHS TT to the lease this weekend to leave for the rest of the season. I plan on running an ultrasonic repeller under the camper, silicon steel wool around the areas where there are small gaps in the underside cover. I already killed all grass where the TT will be parked, spraying Bifen under an around the area, spreading moth balls under or trying the moth balls in jugs of water method listed above, rat poison blocks in camp. I also will not leave any food in the cabinets, If any food is left it will be in a plastic storage bin sitting on the table.
NaClH2O_therapy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #16
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comanche ,Erath,Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClH2O_therapy View Post
anyone else with tips for rodent control. I'm taking my brand new 36' Forest River Vibe 308 BHS TT to the lease this weekend to leave for the rest of the season. I plan on running an ultrasonic repeller under the camper, silicon steel wool around the areas where there are small gaps in the underside cover. I already killed all grass where the TT will be parked, spraying Bifen under an around the area, spreading moth balls under or trying the moth balls in jugs of water method listed above, rat poison blocks in camp. I also will not leave any food in the cabinets, If any food is left it will be in a plastic storage bin sitting on the table.
The ultra sonic plug- ins worked for me(4 of them). I also used 3 glue traps just incase they still got in. If you don`t have pets at the lease try baiting the area around the camper. I just sold my camper and I have only had 2 mice get in in the last 2 years. Both were caught by the glue traps.
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #17
NaClH2O_therapy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County, Matagorda County

Thanks
NaClH2O_therapy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #18
Lefty5
Eight Point

Weedeat or mowdown the grass where you are going to park your rig buy you several bars of Irish Sring soap chunk them up and spread them under the trailer Not a bad idea to spread some around the perimeter of camp Something about the smell of the soap seems to work I do this under the hood of ranch vehicles that don’t move everyday to keep the rats/mice from chewing up the wiring Good luck and hope your hard work pays off
Lefty5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 AM   #19
ctom87
Spike

Hunt In: Anywhere!

You could put a steak near the muffler and call it reverse searing.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #20
Grizzly1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty5 View Post
Weedeat or mowdown the grass where you are going to park your rig buy you several bars of Irish Sring soap chunk them up and spread them under the trailer Not a bad idea to spread some around the perimeter of camp Something about the smell of the soap seems to work I do this under the hood of ranch vehicles that donít move everyday to keep the rats/mice from chewing up the wiring Good luck and hope your hard work pays off
I put out 8 bars of Irish Spring when I set the trailer up, along with the liquid rat poison in a chicken waterer. Last year I tried moth balls and bar rat bait...I could scatter a half of bucket of rat bars from Tractor Supply before dark and it would ALL be gone by daylight. I spent $70 on bar rat bait last season. Someone mentioned you have to tie them off....I was hoping they were at least carrying them back to their nest and sharing with the family! 😂