Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
Sparkie
Four Point

Hunt In: Boerne/Rocksprings
Default New 37acre Ranch in Rocksprings

Just bought 37 acres in NW Rocksprings about 2 weeks ago. I have been looking on and off for the last 6 years since I left the military but really started looking hard the last 2 yrs. I should have bought then as prices have gone up like crazy since but we still got something of our own. This is quite a bit smaller than most of yall probably have but my daughter and I mainly bow hunt so it will be perfect for us. Hopefully I can get the wife and other 2 daughters out there with us. There is plenty to do just to get ready for this season. Unfortunately I am kinda limited on time since I work a 28day on/14 day off schedule. We have been hunting at my sisters (half sister) moms house for the last 6 yrs in Boerne which was great and greatly appreciated. Just felt we were intruding and the logistics of hunting at their house. She killed her first W.T. buck there, her biggest to date buck and I killed an Axis doe and a Sika off the place. Not bad for a neighborhood of 5-6 acre tracts. It just wasn't the type of hunting I wanted. Love Boerne and the area and being outdoors but to me a hunting trip is being in camp around a fire with friends and family relaxing outdoors. That's how I was raised when my dad and I hunted. I still have relationships with the his buddies and their kids my age after all these years because of the camp time. I looked into hunting leases like we used to hunt but there are to many variables that make finding a good lease worth it to me. Mainly the family being there and being really close with all the other lease members. So we finally decided to pull the trigger and get our own little piece of Texas and Bow Hunting Paradise. We closed around the 7th of June and I set up a 650lb corn feeder and hauled a 30' 2006 Fema Camper out there and got it set up the next couple of days. Cant beat the free working camper from my brother, needs a little work but free and everything works in it. Land does have a grazing lease on it and I just got word that they will start grazing it in the next 30-45 days, so I need to go back out there and fence around the feeder and campsite to keep the cows off our stuff. There is no water or electricity on site so I am running power off the generator and need to set up a rain catch for camper water and another 1-2 for around the feeder. Thanks to a member on here for helping hook me up with the realtor I used. If you get a chance or in need of land in the area look up Russell Prinz and give him a chance. Great guy to work with and very accommodating. Hers a few pictures of the property for now but I will try and keep this thread updated. Just keep in mind my work schedule so it might have long periods without updates. If anyone in the area with info on what protein works well in this area and a good place between Rocksprings and San Antonio to get protein or any other helpful info please feel free to let me know. I have hunted Mountain Home on a buddies ranch a few years ago but mainly my Texas hunting has been Boerne except many years ago 20+ as a kid in Uvalde, Junction and Eldorado.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sparkie; 06-21-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
sooner6969
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County

Congrats to you sir. Let us know how it developes.

Last edited by sooner6969; 06-21-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
sooner6969 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
forced-2-work
Six Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

Congrats. Great feeling owning your own place. Double L Ranch and Wildlife Feed in Ingram has decent prices on protein. Then you can cut through mountain home to get out to Rockspings.
forced-2-work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
txlawdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lawdog Ranch Leakey TX in Real County

Congrats, nothing like having your own place to do EXACTLY what you want. You want to cut a tree, cut away. No asking for permission or forgiveness if you cut the wrong one or without asking. That's why I bought a piece outside Leakey. Only 50 acres, but it's about all I can take care of.
txlawdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
LlanoHunter10
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano

Congrats on your place. Nothing like owning your own land.

Do you work offshore supply vessels by the way?
FOURCHON?
LlanoHunter10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #6
Sparkie
Four Point

Offshore but not supply vessels. Derrick Barge but we winter dock in Fourchon. Were out near Aransas Pass now sitting in this storm.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #7
6.5 shooter
Eight Point

Looks awesome, congrats.
6.5 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #8
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Congrats Sir! Nothing like your own place!! Good Luck & ENJOY!!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Get a game camera and feeder running and let's see what you got! Congrats.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Congrats on a big milestone. you will take great pride in making it your own. no regrets on our 34 acre place - plenty big to stretch your legs and gaze at the stars. get that indoor plumbing up to par for the wife and you will have the family out all the time!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
Sparkie
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
Get a game camera and feeder running and let's see what you got! Congrats.
Already set up. Got camper set and powered up then set up the feeder and camera. I am going crazy wanting to know everything also. I just have to wait till I get home from work in 2 weeks to go check it. I don't get phone service so cant set up a Verizon based camera. From what I hear and my research there are W.T, Turkey, Pigs, Axis, Fallow, Auodad and BB. Camera will reveal the truth. I really need to get a water tank set up next time I go also. Regardless, I am stoked to finally have our own place regardless. Just really wanted something in that area that offered yr round hunting since I might only get a couple chances to hunt during W.T. season cause of my schedule.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
WildThings
Eight Point

Hunt In: None at the moment

I'm jealous and congrats. Been looking for awhile myself. Hunted a friends place on 41 east of town last year and really enjoyed it. Looks like you must have gots lots of rain since it's so green!!
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Nice looking place. That's the least amount of rocks I've ever seen in Rocksprings!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
billp141
Nubbin' Buck

Nice place.... Please keep us updated on your progress.
billp141 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #15
Sparkie
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Nice looking place. That's the least amount of rocks I've ever seen in Rocksprings!
Don't let the tall grass fool you. There are still plenty of rocks. Not near as bad as many places around but not as clear as other places I have seen though.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #16
Sparkie
Four Point

Since there is Fallow and BB out there and I have to put a feed pen up to keep cows off feeders I was thinking of using regular 48" field fence. Seems that will keep the BB and Fallow out also. Looking for fencing suggestions to allow the Fallow and BB access but keep pigs and cows out. Understanding I by not doing field fence that some calfs and pigs will get in, I just don't wanna feed all of them or them trying to kill my feeders. My thought was to instead run 2-3 low strands of barb or regular 12awg wire and another about the 4' level. So bottom strands would be from 2-2.5' high to ground and then another at 4'. Enough to allow the fallow and BB to crawl through in places but keep most the cattle and pigs out. Thought and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #17
sharpstick35
Six Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Nice place. I'm not far from you and work a similar schedule. I've been here 2 years and the be been great. I bought a single wide and bring the whole family out on my days off. I'm currently sitting in a sweat box over a water trough waiting for the axis to come In

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #18
Sparkie
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
Nice place. I'm not far from you and work a similar schedule. I've been here 2 years and the be been great. I bought a single wide and bring the whole family out on my days off. I'm currently sitting in a sweat box over a water trough waiting for the axis to come In

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Maybe we can hook up some time. If your 28/14 then we might always miss eachother. I am on the last 2 weeks of my hitch before heading home. I also need to get my blinds built, hopefully before the end of summer. Last yr did an axis hunt with my daughter in Boerne and bought and extra 12v feeder battery, cheap 12v car/desk type fan and a small cooler filled with ice and some water. Hooked fan to battery and used rags in cold water to keep us cool during the hunt. Would shut the fan down when we saw anything around. It wasn't ac but kept us comfortable. I have a pop up I might use out there in a couple weeks since my wife just informed me she needs more breakfast sausage. I told her to go buy some and her response was, isn't that why we just bought hunting property. Tooshay dear.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #19
joel45acp
Six Point

Hunt In: Duval Co

Wife and I are looking at a few places in RS too. Congrats on your endeavor sir.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #20
Reel cajun
Nubbin' Buck

Default Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlawdog View Post
Congrats, nothing like having your own place to do EXACTLY what you want. You want to cut a tree, cut away. No asking for permission or forgiveness if you cut the wrong one or without asking. That's why I bought a piece outside Leakey. Only 50 acres, but it's about all I can take care of.
You need to flush some of those Axis my way neighbor.
Reel cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #21
Sparkie
Four Point

I just realized I need to add some pictures and update this thread. Usually when I go out I only have a few days to get things done so I am very busy and not interested in taking pictures. But I have added a 330gal tote for camp water, fenced around our camp area (just barbwire and lots more I wanna do), moved the feeder to our ultimate hunting position for this year and built and set up a 6'x7' box blind to hide in. The fencing around camp took awhile as I thought it would. It made me remember how fun and how not easy it is to drive T posts in the ground in this area. I have an auger now so I am going to try and post some 4x4 posts in so I can add a gate or 2 at camp. But for the most part its hunt ready for now. Hopefully these flash floods and all this rain the last few weeks isnt gonna put a damper on our relax/hunting time.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

Congrats. We hunt in Rocksprings as well. In case you haven't found out yet, there is a feed store in town called country boys. Not sure what to tell you about the feeder pens. I don't really know how you could build it to allow the blackbuck in but keep the pigs outs.. You figure that one out and you may be on to something.

With that said, Blackbuck can be some real protein hogs. You may be doing better by keeping them out as well!
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #23
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County

Congrats
Bone Thug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2018, 02:40 AM   #24
Sparkie
Four Point

b.latiolais

I have seen that one your talking about, North of the school of 377 if its the same on I am thinking. I had thought about trying them out. I have been using the Priour-Varga Wool and Mohair place over by the courthouse and Polaris place. The guy that runs it has been a really good guy to me. So far been really nice and helpful with feed and also where to find things in town. He will also always invite you to sit for coffee and resolve all the worlds problems with a few older gentlemen int he mornings. About 4-5 guys will sit in their little breakroom I guess you could call it and B.S. over coffee for awhile. Its kinda funny when you go in there actually. But I might try that place your talking about too. Thanks for the info and if I figure out the BB fence deal will let you know.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #25
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

I'd just run 2 different feeders. One penned for deer, one open for hogs and blackbuck.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top