Accidental airbags deployment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accidental airbags deployment?

Anyone had this happen? My boy says he hit a “pothole” in his car and it set off the airbags. I find it pretty hard believe but I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Online it says a car has to be going 15-28 mph and hit something like a car to set them off. Pretty sure he’s feeding me a line of BS.

Rick

Must have been a hell of a pot hole. Or it wasn’t a pot hole.

What kind of damage?

Comment

Is there any other damage to the vehicle to show there was an impact? Was he planning any mods to where he was messing with the airbag or airbag sensors?

Need more info. Hitting a pothole alone might or might not be enough unless it was just one of those the conditions were right type thing.

Comment

There is a thread on camaro6 where a side airbag deployed while taking a hard turn with a bump on a track day...yeah, it can happen & was captured on video with his PDR.

If there is no damage to the vehicle, then yes I personally would believe my son.

Comment

How old is the car? There is a whole slew of cars that have recalls because of accidental deployments of the airbag. I know this because I owned a 2001 Honda Civic and have gotten hundreds of notifications in the mail. There was a certain airbag mfgr that sold faulty systems to car makers for several years.

I would try googling the year and make for recalls.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

if he hit something going 15-28 mph, there would be damage. If no damage, something else happened

Comment

Only damage was a cracked windshield. I’m sure it’s possible
              But probably pretty unlikely. Time for him to learn to take care
              Of stuff. 2001 Malibu

Comment

Nothing online

Comment

Can they plug the car in and get the info from the black box?

Comment

Hitting a curb will set off the curtain bags. It happens. Steering wheel you have to hit something with your bumper.............

Comment

If you have a cracked windshield and the airbags are blown, you might have undercarriage damage and/or frame damage. What ever he hit, it was big and fast(over 30 mph).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My grand daughter had hers go off while parked in a HEB parking lot. Jeep with the top off during a hailstorm with 3" hailstones. Insurance did not pay for it even after jeep dealer did an analysis and showed the vehicle was parked and not running.

Comment

Look for damage on the front of the vehicle. If there is damage, then was not a pot hole. But, hard jars from hitting pot holes have set off air bags. I have worked in dealers and worked for insurance companies. I have seen a few cases of it happening. But also probing the wrong wires with a test light can set off a air bag, or a shorted wire. When I used to work on air bag systems, which I did regularly, I always disconnected the battery, then the air bag module, before messing with any of the wiring.

Comment

Anything is possible.
                            Sometimes they dont go off in an accident but 30 min after an accident.

Comment

He sent us a photo of the drop off from the parking lot. I believe it was an accident after talking to him more. Seemed strange but always been a good kid. Thanks guys

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X