No announcement yet.

Handheld Thermal ??'s and Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt out on lake Amistad where there is lots of open country. The deer are very good at disappearing behind the smallest bush.

I use a pulsar helion xp38 for scanning. On a cool morning, I can spot deer at 1000+ yards. I simply use it to find a heat signature, then find what I’m looking for with Binos. You can glass out a whole canyon this way in seconds instead of killing your eyeballs looking for what’s not there.

As far as “what’s in the brush?” The thermal is only going to reveal what’s in a direct line of sight.

Once the sun starts shining and it’s good and warm outside, my method is less effective because every rock and cactus pad is just as hot as the deer are.

Treat this as a buy once, cry once type deal. It would stink to waste $1k on something you don’t like and therefore don’t use.

Comment

When I first became curious about thermal scopes, etc. I did a lot of research online. I was pretty confused as to what to get. I called a place called Down Range Thermal in Austin. The owner is extremely knowledgeable and gave me a really good deal on a scope that fit my needs and budget (well below what other retailers were asking). He even met me half way between San Antonio and Austin to do the deal.

I have no ownership interest and do not get paid any commissions from DRT.

Comment

I use a PTS233 for scanning. I didn't want a handheld scanner. Figured if I was going to spend $2K I might as well get a scope and use it as a backup if needed. Has worked great!

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
          I use a PTS233 for scanning. I didn't want a handheld scanner. Figured if I was going to spend $2K I might as well get a scope and use it as a backup if needed. Has worked great!
          That is the other thing I'm considering. If I had to buy today it would be between a handheld Axiom Key XM30 and a Core RXQ30V scope. Both the same price, I just haven't dug in to see if the key has enough advantages to the Core being a backup or something I could shoot with.

Comment

If I'm not sure what I'm looking at thru my monocular, it is a simple matter to take a look thru the scope which is far better. The monocular is my "alert" item and if I can't ID the critter thru it, the critter is out of range anyway.

Comment

Yes it’s worth it!
              Mobility. Ease of use. (As others stated not swinging a rifle around).
              Battery saver for rifle NV/Thermal. (I’m literally on the same CR123 battery pack for over a year with my scope thermal since all I use is my hand held.)
              Here’s my review on the Axion XM30 https://youtu.be/WwfpFI8jusU

Comment

We have used them and just placed a pic rail with a detachable scope. Scan with scope at night and if a target is acquired clip scope back on rifle and go to shooting. Works best with non running targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a flir scout 2 id let go. Its the higher resolution one w a 2x zoom.

Comment

Good info - thanks OP and all who have responded

Comment

Originally posted by Take em View Post
                      We have used them and just placed a pic rail with a detachable scope. Scan with scope at night and if a target is acquired clip scope back on rifle and go to shooting. Works best with non running targets.

What kinda mount you using? How close to holding zero does it come when you clip it back on?

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                        What kinda mount you using? How close to holding zero does it come when you clip it back on?
                        American Defense makes the best mount for taking on and off. Jason, outdoor legacy, sells them. I just ordered 4 to mount regular hunting scopes in and have one on a thermion. Hopefully they do as advertised with “guaranteed zero” and we can play with the thermal and reg scopes anytime.

Comment

my advice is if you do go cheap don’t ever look through a buddy’s good scope you will be spending more money buying a new one lol !
                          Pulsar is hard to beat for image quality for the price
                          hunted this weekend with a buddy who has a ATN new style that looks like a regular scope that he paid 1900 for and my pulsar that cost 2200 just blows it away now he’s ****** looking for a new scope lol !

Comment

I agree with the other two, get a scope instead. You will quickly find a rifle to put it on.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                                American Defense makes the best mount for taking on and off. Jason, outdoor legacy, sells them. I just ordered 4 to mount regular hunting scopes in and have one on a thermion. Hopefully they do as advertised with “guaranteed zero” and we can play with the thermal and reg scopes anytime.
                                I have the American Defense on a day scope....and the DLOC on my Pulsar Trail. Still looking for one that will return to zero after taking off/on! I’m not talking “close” to zero...I’m talking ZERO!! Neither one of these have so far. But they’ll get close

Comment

Working...
                                X