No announcement yet.

Nobody ever said working cattle on a large scale is easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invest in some good dogs and build a better set of working pens. Both will save lots of time and trouble.

Comment

This thread is giving me stomach cramps.

Comment

Glad you didn't get hurt worse

For all the ones saying they would get rid of the wild ones, I bet this is not the hobby herd

I have seen cows in the south Texas brush that had probably not seen many, if any, humans

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          Oh lord you are making me remember the smell of dehorning cows for the briscoe family,
          Push them out of pasture with a chopper, get them penned up
          Chainsaw the tips off then burn the bleeders with a torch
          Burn the 06 on them and the year
          Separate anything with a cancer or didn’t calve out
          That dehorning smell just never goes away

Great thanks. And now I can smell it again.

"Everybody wants to be a cowboy until its time to do cowboy stuff."

Comment

Video of Worksalot at the ranch:
            https://youtu.be/Jnw-vRY-CCc

Comment

If you are a real cowboy, getting hit in the head won't hurt you.

Comment

Glad you are ok. I have been lucky to avoid any major damage in my life. About 2 months ago the dogs had caught a bad cow and had her pulled down the time I got there. I was simply practicing the dogs and did not need to pen anything. I called my 2 old dogs off and chained them to a tree. I went back in to catch two young dogs. They were fired up. I finally caught one of them and walked out to a little lane about 15 yards away. I was getting the leash on the young dog when I heard her coming.....I managed to sit on her head for about 15 feet, after that the young dogs were on her again and she forgot about me. For a moment I looked like one of those crazy bull fighters but I promise you it was all on accident. Once again glad you suffered no serious damage.

-john

Comment

I’ve never in my life, heard anyone complain so much about their job, especially a cowboy. If you don’t like it you can quit. You gotta love it because it ain’t about the money. Bumps and bruises are part of the job, if you can’t cut it, maybe you should take up knitting with the women.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                    Glad you are ok. I have been lucky to avoid any major damage in my life. About 2 months ago the dogs had caught a bad cow and had her pulled down the time I got there. I was simply practicing the dogs and did not need to pen anything. I called my 2 old dogs off and chained them to a tree. I went back in to catch two young dogs. They were fired up. I finally caught one of them and walked out to a little lane about 15 yards away. I was getting the leash on the young dog when I heard her coming.....I managed to sit on her head for about 15 feet, after that the young dogs were on her again and she forgot about me. For a moment I looked like one of those crazy bull fighters but I promise you it was all on accident. Once again glad you suffered no serious damage.

-john
                    Ha, my old brahman bull gave my Dad a lift over the fence once. He was playful.

Was a show bull- My first show bull. And not knowing any better I played around with him when he was little. Well when he got to be giant he still wanted to play. He liked to sneak up behind people and give them a "nudge" when they weren't paying attention. As long as you stood your ground and scratched him behind the ears he was docile as a puppy. But if you got to flinching or running he thought it was playtime.

Comment

It's a dangerous job for sure, I don't have any but I occasionally lend a hand to my cousin who has about 150 head. He knew a local guy who got pinned against a pipe corral fence by a cow. It busted the guys guts and he hit the ground dead. Be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                        I’ve never in my life, heard anyone complain so much about their job, especially a cowboy. If you don’t like it you can quit. You gotta love it because it ain’t about the money. Bumps and bruises are part of the job, if you can’t cut it, maybe you should take up knitting with the women.

x2

Comment

Cowboy up and stop crying.

Did someone put beans in your chili?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Thank you for sharing. I will be sure to not work any cattle on a large scale in the future.
                            Nice to be retired, dead cow on the plate is the only thing I want to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post

I’m glad I’m not the only one that was thinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                                Ha, my old brahman bull gave my Dad a lift over the fence once. He was playful.

Was a show bull- My first show bull. And not knowing any better I played around with him when he was little. Well when he got to be giant he still wanted to play. He liked to sneak up behind people and give them a "nudge" when they weren't paying attention. As long as you stood your ground and scratched him behind the ears he was docile as a puppy. But if you got to flinching or running he thought it was playtime.
                                My uncle had the same kind of thing going on. My cousins had broke the bull to ride. You could call him like a dog but at his size you had to be careful not to get hurt by accident. As tame as he was some of his daughter and grand daughters were quite different...LOL.

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X