• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horse question

Icelandic horses, are said to have 5 gates, instead of the
    American Horse. Which have 4...……..
    What does that mean ???

Are you sure it is G-A-T-E and not G-A-I-T? As in, the Icelandics have 1 more type of step. Trot, gallop, canter etc

Comment

It means instead of walking, long trotting, loping, sprinting
      They have a super slow long trot in between walking and trotting it’s almost a prance. Imagine a horse carrying a knight that’s what it is. It’s real smooth

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
        Are you sure it is G-A-T-E and not G-A-I-T? As in, the Icelandics have 1 more type of step. Trot, gallop, canter etc
        You knew what he meant.

Comment

Thanks ya'll……..
          And I'm sure, it's gait..... (hey, Sorry)………
          I just learned, that the importation of horses to Iceland, has been forbidden
          for almost a thousand years, to keep the breed pure, because of this
          trait...…
          I just didn't know what it was...….
          Ha ! learn something new every day...…(even at my age)……….

Comment

It is called a tolt and it is amazing. Road them for an entire day in Iceland and they can do that gait for miles without stopping and it truly is comfortable! Highly recommend. Great history to them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
              It is called a tolt and it is amazing. Road them for an entire day in Iceland and they can do that gait for miles without stopping and it truly is comfortable! Highly recommend. Great history to them as well.
              Thanks, now that's just too cool...…..

Comment

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7rWeWymJDw"]Super Tölt on an Icelandic Horse - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The 5 Gaits.

The Tolt looks like a pace only they high step the front end. Then there's the flying pace which is a very past pace but also high step the front end. This video does a good job showing all 5. I saw it on the suggested videos after Dushon's post.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV9P0w8vZi8"]5 gaits of the Icelandic horse - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                    The 5 Gaits.

The Tolt looks like a pace only they high step the front end. Then there's the flying pace which is a very past pace but also high step the front end. This video does a good job showing all 5. I saw it on the suggested videos after Dushon's post.

5 gaits of the Icelandic horse - YouTube
                    That is some impressive knee drive!

Comment

That reminds me of a Tennessee walking horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        The 5 Gaits.

5 gaits of the Icelandic horse - YouTube
                        Mercy, that is a gorgeous horse!

Comment

Love riding me a single footing hoss or a good mule with a running walk.
                          My ol coon huntin mule Jedro RIP had it down pat. I could almost balance a nickel on the saddle horn.

Comment

Horses are the devil. They can cause cash to instantly disappear!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                              Horses are the devil. They can cause cash to instantly disappear!!!
                              And bones to break. Don't ask how I know

Comment

Working...
                              X