talk me out of a stick burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

talk me out of a stick burner

I've had 4 different offset firebox pits in my adult life and two ceramic egg/kamado cookers. Sold the last ceramic for fear of breaking it during our move. As much as I liked the way they do poultry, I missed my stick burner for brisket.
    Was planning to try a pellet grill for the new house but one of my pecan trees dropped a nice sized limb and that got me to thinking. Every neighbor has two old-growth pecans in their back yard and we back up to a greenbelt with about two dozen pecans in it. I might have an endless supply of pecan wood for smoking and the nursery in town sells Texas Longhorn pits which I love.

Up side: Cracking my first beer at 5am to start the fire. Smelling that sweet smoke all day!

Down side: Wondering if my pit is holding temp while I'm golfing or fishing.

Truly torn here.

Nope, stick burner all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by dac6933 View Post
      Nope, stick burner all day long.
      Can’t beet it!

Comment

Pellet grill is your golfing and fishing answer. Control from your phone!

Comment

Work smarter, not harder. Had stick and now pellet. So much less to deal with, and you get to sleep through the night!

Comment

I use a propane cooker, I put a cast iron skillet full of wood on top of the burner for smoke. It's the best of both worlds a constant temperature and a little wood smoke.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I sold my only stick burner that I had for about 15 years after getting my Primo XL. I can do a few briskets per cook and never worry about losing my fire or temp fluctuations overnight. I do use a digi q on long cooks. I built a large table for mine as I was scared it’d break in the little metal cart.

Comment

A stick burner is more challenging and I enjoy that. Plus it's a very traditional way of cooking. I just can't ger myself to when think about a pellet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you like skinny-jeans, Bernie Sanders and are a "Brony", a pellet smoker is perfect for you.

Comment

Stick Burner= Dark Bark= Burnt Ends.

Comment

Was there a question? Unless you play golf a whole lot better than you pick teams, get the stick burner.
                        By the way, we missed you at the U.S.. Open. The Open is coming up. Picks will be due on the 17th. I will send you an invitation.

Comment

I’ve had both and they are both good tools. If the pit is a hobby you want to spend time at, then go with the stick burner. If it is a tool for the preparation of delicious meat, then go with a pellet.

You should get both. Pellet for the work week and sticks for the weekend. Like a mullet, kinda.

It’s just a personal choice, dude.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post

Haha thats awesome!

Comment

I bought a large BGE 2 years ago, and use the hell out of it for steaks & chicken, but I’ve shifted back to my old offset stick burner for ribs & brisket. The egg doesn’t produce near the flavor that my Old Tymer does, and I’ve actually been considering selling it. If I had it to do again, I’d stick with my old Weber and my stick burner.

Comment

Working...
                              X