No announcement yet.

South Padre Snook Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did you think about Eric and the skiff? Flyfishing is like Bowhunting, a giant pain in the butt and also the ultimate rush when it all works!

Comment

South Padre Snook Trip

Originally posted by docmay View Post
      What did you think about Eric and the skiff? Flyfishing is like Bowhunting, a giant pain in the butt and also the ultimate rush when it all works!

He took that skiff over an exposed grass bed that I was a hundred percent positive we would get bogged down. Nahh.... no problem. Then he took us on a flat that was no joke 3-4” deep with the tide out and we floated across it. That thing was the cats meow for sure. He said the only skiff that poles better and goes skinnier is the New Water Stilt. He says the Chittum is better in all other aspects. Eric is a super cool dude, he was getting straight mad at those fish for not eating. He worked his butt off getting me shots, and absolutely loves that fishery. He is nuts over Snook fishing and about those fish being there in numbers. I’d fish with him again every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Sounds like a great day of hunting, thanks for the report.

Comment

Hmmm, I likey. I tried to book a trip with a referred guide and after the initial contact, they would not respond to phone calls or FB attempts.

Snook and tripletails are a flyrod dream of mine, might give this guy a call.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Same experience I've had with TX snook. Me and a buddy threw our whole tackle box at some ~6 lbers with no luck on N SPI. Fun for sure tho

Comment

Good luck!!

Comment

Temperamental - cool down period with a High Pressure build, shut them off. On the warm-up, they should get more engaging. They stack up like mad in winter deep water, which puts all the marbles into a very predictable location. But......they literally shutdown at real low 60 water temps. Small snook start to die at 57 and all snook start to die at 55 degrees.

Sure hope a south wind warm up kicks off and you can get into them!

Skinny drifting freely - flats boats do it like nothing! Best rides for silent flats stalking!

Comment

Good luck! I haven't seen Eric in 15+ years. Amazing how time flies...

Comment

Working...
                    X