TYHP Hunt Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TYHP Hunt Experiences

Just curious, those of you that have been a part of this program, what are some things that stuck out to you in regards to your hunt that made it special.?

As a new huntmaster that has been on a quite a few hunts and helped on others, I am just curious what are some things that the huntmaster did that really stood out to you. Any special activities or small things that really made a difference on your hunt? Wanted to brainstorm a little with other experienced TYHPers. Or maybe your experience was awful and you could suggest things to make sure we don’t incorporate into the hunt.

Thanks for your time and input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been on a bunch and ran a bunch. Don't overcrowd the schedule. Find some good learning/adventure things for the kid and parent that they do together but make sure you leave em some down time. Sometimes a nap can make a weekend a lot better. Two of the best hunts we've attended, huntmasters gave us free time all mid day Saturday. Granted one had a huge lake we were camping beside and boys had a blast fishing. The other one, we were able to go explore this creek bed and look for arrow heads and climb hills without bothering any of the hunting. Not having plans was the best plan for those.

Comment

One hunt my son and myself went on was nonstop go go go. Like mentioned above having a little down time wouldn't have been so bad. The other hunt we went on was still very informative but much more laid back. Much easier to relax and enjoy our time there. The kids were able to run around the camp and just hang out. They ended up playing tag and throwing a football around that my son brought. Seems like they bonded more and got to just be kids if that makes sense.

Having said that I do understand the reasons behind having structured activities. There's a lot of rookie hunters that attend that simply don't have the knowledge of a more seasoned hunter.

My son and myself did enjoy the Saturday night gathering around the fire talking about what the kids and parents had enjoyed.

Food was awesome on both hunts. Definitely a highlight.

My son went on a 3rd hunt as well. But ended up with a pretty bad stomach bug after we arrived so we ended up not doing much. Left on Saturday morning.

Comment

Another thing I just thought about.....

When they are shooting their rifles (if that's a thing still) get a good steady rest. Two of the hunts had it and one was not as good. Seems like we had kids shooting a lot of shots on the one hunt with the not as good rest. I think it gets to them after a bit and makes them even more nervous and then shooting that much worse (from the pressure to perform). Just a thought.

Comment

TYHP Hunt Experiences

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
          Another thing I just thought about.....

When they are shooting their rifles (if that's a thing still) get a good steady rest. Two of the hunts had it and one was not as good. Seems like we had kids shooting a lot of shots on the one hunt with the not as good rest. I think it gets to them after a bit and makes them even more nervous and then shooting that much worse (from the pressure to perform). Just a thought.

This and make it low pressure, Huntmaster and kid. Make it about the rifle, not the kid.

Our first was a bit high pressure, Hagen didn’t shoot well and had 4 guys standing around him.

The last was just the Huntmaster (Jerry Hooker) and each shooter, they shot lights out off a portable table setup. Jerry Hooker knows what he’s doing when it comes to communication and building confidence in the kids. He is the best Huntmaster we’ve hunted with thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I signed up this year to volunteer for hunts but havent been contacted. Went through the online orientation and everything.

Comment

My son has been on 3 TYHP hunts and they have been absolutely fantastic experiences.
              Sighting in the rifle and making it comfortable for him to shoot accurately using a fieldpod would be my recommendation. a lil archey practice hiking and fishing was a lot of fun in between hunts. Visit from local game warden and biologist explaining the why we do what we do things was very informative

Comment

I’ve noticed several kids are really nervous when it comes to shooting the targets. I think they feel some peer pressure maybe when all the kids are there. Not sure how to help with that except try to make kids as relaxed and comfortable as possible in that situation. One hunt has a “primitive fire starting” competition. There was a kid and adult competition. That was fun. My daughter and I each won that and the hunt master gave each of us knives.

Comment

I have been a huntmaster for a while. The thing that I "stole" was show how to make sausage. I think that the hands on is great for parent and child. I do agree with down time if they want and no electronics. The biggest thing is NEVER let the child think they did something wrong if they shoot something by mistake. Make it fun.

Jerry is one of the great ones. And his daughter Meagan is up there as well.

Comment

Ive been on a few and everyone is spot on.
                    • No phones, force the kids to interact and talk. This usually happens anyway
                    • 1 exception to the phone rule. Get the kids to start a text thread for in the blind. I was amazed how much they talked about what they were seeing, who shot, etc. It helped them bond. It would be up to the parent to make sure they aren't playing on tic toc
                    • Down time and/or non hunting activity that makes them work together. It could be as simple as gathering the wood for the fire but have them do it together
                    • Have everyone help clean the animal not just the hunter. This gets the kids who haven't harvested yet involved and again works on their bonding and teamwork.
                    • I agree on the shooting. Low pressure and more 1 on 1 for confidence. I have also been on hunts where after the "qualifying shooting" then there is a competition. Once it is established everyone can shoot then get them together for a shooting activity.

Comment

For me, in all of the several we participated in, it was when they had a shooting contest. It was masked as a contest but really it was to ensure all the kids could shoot. On one hunt the closest to the bullseye was allowed to go for a nice cull buck. The kids really enjoyed the "competition". Girls won most of the time. The good food was always a highlight too. That was a fantastic program. Good on you for volunteering.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been on four hunts with older son and we had fun on each hunt. Each hunt was a little different from the others so don’t overthink it. Make the hunt fun and relaxing and it will be a hit. Local game warden is great idea. The kids enjoy and learn from the warden’s talk and it’s fun to watch Lone Star Law and say “ hey that’s the game warden from such and such hunt.
                        One thing to remember there could be kids from 9-17 years old. Have programs that are structured for all age groups. Also, if shooting guns have a set up that is comfortable for kids of all sizes . The last hunt we went to they shot off a picnic table. My son could not get comfortable due to his height and shot poorly. Also, allow enough time for everyone to shoot. This way, if a kid needs to shoot a couple rounds to insure gun accuracy you won’t worry about running out of daylight.
                        On a side not my younger son turns 9 next Tuesday so we will be starting another round of adventures through the program.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                          Ive been on a few and everyone is spot on.

• No phones, force the kids to interact and talk. This usually happens anyway
                          • 1 exception to the phone rule. Get the kids to start a text thread for in the blind. I was amazed how much they talked about what they were seeing, who shot, etc. It helped them bond. It would be up to the parent to make sure they aren't playing on tic toc
                          • Down time and/or non hunting activity that makes them work together. It could be as simple as gathering the wood for the fire but have them do it together
                          • Have everyone help clean the animal not just the hunter. This gets the kids who haven't harvested yet involved and again works on their bonding and teamwork.
                          • I agree on the shooting. Low pressure and more 1 on 1 for confidence. I have also been on hunts where after the "qualifying shooting" then there is a competition. Once it is established everyone can shoot then get them together for a shooting activity.

Yes sir! I had a blast watching them interact at the skinning shed last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great stuff above!

One more suggestion is a really nice campfire at night and let the kids tell about their hunt that day. One at a time. Campfire stories are a lost art and part of the heritage we are trying to revive with this fantastic program.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Great stuff above!

One more suggestion is a really nice campfire at night and let the kids tell about their hunt that day. One at a time. Campfire stories are a lost art and part of the heritage we are trying to revive with this fantastic program.
                              This for sure!

Not sure if I still have any but on one hunt my wife made some bingo type cards for the kids to take to blind. Instead of numbers it had different animals, trees, etc. they were to try and fill in. Seems to pass the time and it helps them remember some the things they saw at campfire that night with story time. Knowing there is potential for some prizes helps participation too.

Comment

Working...
                              X