WY Cow elk hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WY Cow elk hunt

My son and I draw a cow tag for Wyoming. We decided on a cow tag as they are easier to draw and get us experience on our first elk hunt!.

We both had a lot of fun, driving for 19 hours to get to Gillette.

Started the hunt with a visit from the local game warden. He checked all our licenses and gave us some great tips as we haven't scouted the area.

We climbed several ridges the first morning with nothing seen. After that we decided to take a look at the game warden suggestions. 3 ridges in the opposite side of the unit. It was 80F degrees, didn't think we will see anything, but after a while we heard a bull bugling. We weren't sure were it was coming from. But then several cows and the bull walk in the brush. Try go get a shot but didn't work out. Did a little chasing and catch up to them, but the cows disappear while trying to close the gap. Sat on a ridge glassing to see if they will come out of hiding. All of a sudden another bugling, this time very loud. 5x5 Bull came out to within 100 yards of us!. But no cows. I think we ruin his day by scattering them!.
    Decided to come out and drive around to see more areas for next day hunting. Found a cow around 500 yards from the road. My son got off and close the distance to around 250 yards with an tag his cow with perfect shot. A lot of work on skinning and walking back across a couple of ridges with all the meat!. Coming from Houston the lack of oxygen was evident.
    Next day we finish deboning the meat to make room for a potential second elk. In the afternoon went to a water hole, only cattle and a couple of speed goats. Climbed a ridge to find an elk with some cows, but again couldn't get settle properly for the shot. Eventually they left, so decided to walk back towards the water hole. A couple of bulls were bugling at each other. One was alone across the field, so decided to walk towards the other with some brush cover. Eventually saw some cows. Found a good rest point and was able to get my cow!. In all a very nice WY trip.
    Attached Files

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome, you guys will be eating good for a while!!

Comment

Very nice, congrats!

Comment

Awesome! Big congrats!

Comment

That's what we like to see !
            Congrats to both of you on the cows.

Fall moved in this week. We're sitting at about 60ish for highs now and lows into 30's at night. Leaves are turning and falling.

Hope you had safe travels as well.

Comment

Congrats! Sounds like a heck of a trip.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Nice! Congrats. I leave on the 12 for the same hunt.

Comment

Congrats!!! That’s some good eatin right there.
                    So, what did the tag and license cost you?

Comment

Working...
                    X