Reloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading

Anyone using the F W Arms Auto case centering decapper/deprimer?

Everything I can find on it looks like a very solid design. Thinking about getting one to try out. I’m using a Hornady Lock and Load AP. What I do now is full length resize/deprime, clean, dry, full length resize (again), prime, powder and seat the bullet. I’m thinking it would be better for the brass to only resize once per reload as to not “over work” the brass.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Hotrodd View Post
    Anyone using the F W Arms Auto case centering decapper/deprimer?

Everything I can find on it looks like a very solid design. Thinking about getting one to try out. I’m using a Hornady Lock and Load AP. What I do now is full length resize/deprime, clean, dry, full length resize (again), prime, powder and seat the bullet. I’m thinking it would be better for the brass to only resize once per reload as to not “over work” the brass.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    I use a Hornaday AP for all my pistol and bulk small caliber rifle loading but have never had any problem with case to decapper and die alignment as long as erthang is tight and the spring around the shell plate holder is good.

Comment

That looks like a solution in search of a problem.
      I've reloaded over 100K rounds over 30 years on Dillon 550 and 1050 presses. From time to time... Like once a decade, I've bent a decap pin. It's easy to fix with the standard design.

This tool doesn't solve that as evidenced by:
      SOLD IN PACKS OF 5 - QTY DISCOUNTS APPLY (See pricing below) TIP ONLY FOR USE WITH SMALL 1.6MM - 1.7MM (.062") FLASH HOLE CASES. 8-32 THREAD 3/16" ACROSS FLATS FOR EASY CHANGE OUT. HEAT TREATED ALLOY STEEL

As far as overworking by "sizing" twice? If it's the same size die it shouldn't do anything on the second pass, maybe drag the sides of the die but that's it. The fact of the matter is most brass gets lost before it's worked so much it fails....
      YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by Rango View Post
        That looks like a solution in search of a problem.
        I've reloaded over 100K rounds over 30 years on Dillon 550 and 1050 presses. From time to time... Like once a decade, I've bent a decap pin. It's easy to fix with the standard design.

This tool doesn't solve that as evidenced by:
        SOLD IN PACKS OF 5 - QTY DISCOUNTS APPLY (See pricing below) TIP ONLY FOR USE WITH SMALL 1.6MM - 1.7MM (.062") FLASH HOLE CASES. 8-32 THREAD 3/16" ACROSS FLATS FOR EASY CHANGE OUT. HEAT TREATED ALLOY STEEL

As far as overworking by "sizing" twice? If it's the same size die it shouldn't do anything on the second pass, maybe drag the sides of the die but that's it. The fact of the matter is most brass gets lost before it's worked so much it fails....
        YMMV
        I have been reloading 15 years and like you only bent/broken a decap pin maybe 3 times. Not concerned at all with the pistol brass. My concern is on rifle brass in the cleaner and the mouth of the case getting “bent” that’s why I re resize. Was thinking if I decap with the FW Arms decapper and clean then resize I will only be “moving” the brass once.

Comment

Working...
        X