No announcement yet.

first rifle suggestions for a tyke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henry makes a real small single shot bolt action that my son got when he was real small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
      Finally got mom on board with Santa bringing the boy his first real firearm...something in 22 cal that he can learn firearm safety, do some target shooting and hopefully graduate to some squirel hunting soon.

I was looking for some reasonably priced options that weren't single shot models but not necessarily a dollar general model either...if anyone has gone through this recently with their little one or can lend some suggestions to save me doing so much research itd be appreciated....thanks
      I'm there in the same boat for my youngest (9).

My influence has been that my 22 has been and will be the most fired rifle by me in my life. It's a "go to" all the time and feels like it's a extension of me. It's a Winchester 9422 I've had since '78 and it will never be away from me.

Dad bought a BLR the same day I bought my Winchester. He likes it too.

I'm looking for a mint 9422 for my son or I'll defer to the BLR. Both are near perfect IMO.

Good Luck with the efforts.

Comment

CZ 457 Scout

Youth model stock and the entire gun is extremely well built. Action and barrel will go right into a normal sized stock when he’s ready. I did this and mounted a rail and a red dot on my daughters for her. Probabky step up to a axis thus year.

Comment

Personally, I'd get a .22lr bolt action instead of a 10-22. Assuming ammo becomes available again, you can shoot the cci quiets or the colibri subsonics and it will be as quiet as a BB gun.

To me, learning to shoot a firearm the first time should be focused on safety and how a gun works. Build a great foundation of knowledge for a lifetime of learning and enjoyment. The simplicity of a bolt action gives you the opportunity to see/work the process manually. Semi-autos, of course, automate the process but the fundamental process is already well-understood.

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
            My first rifle was a .243. Papa gave Daddy and Daddy gave to me. And they taught me how to shoot with a steady hand, I guess that's something you don't understand.

Kidding. I will be going 10/22 when I’m in your shoes.
            Mamaaa’s in the kitchen!

Comment

10/22 is a great gun but I wouldn't go semi auto for a first gun. Lots to be learned with a bolt or pump.

Tube fed bolt is nice in that you can load it single shot or put rounds in the tube follow up shots.

My very favorite "trainer" for kids or adults is a Gallery .22 Pump. Rossi makes an excellent one:

The exposed hammer on the Gallery teaches what is really happening when the trigger trips. Hand cycling the action helps with understanding what is actually occuring when a Semi Auto cycles.

Comment

My oldest son received the ruger 10/22 takedown last Christmas. The youngest one got a henry 22 for his birthday this year. The henry is the one they want to shoot when were int he country.

Comment

Just bought my 2 grandsons a Chipmunk for each of them. One is one and the other is 2. Like mentioned before I want them to learn SAFTY and the basics of shooting early like I did.

Comment

Savage 22lr fv sr. I saw they are $219 after rebate. The are tack drivers. Bolt gun suppressor ready.

Comment

I had an old Marlin 60 when my kids were small. I cut the wooden stock down.
                      I only loaded three shots at a time. However, my grandkids will have bolts.

My two cents: Get a small, decent 4 power scope and have them learn to shoot with it
                      My kids learned to shoot iron sights later, but are very proficient with their scoped deer rifles
                      No one I know hunts without a scope on their center fire hunting rifle.

Comment

Has he mastered a red Ryder yet?

If not, that would be my first choice, then a SINGLE shot for a few years, then a 10-22 when he’s 11 or 12.

Need to master the fundamentals first.

Comment

I've got a 10/22 and my cheap mossberg 597 I think is just as good

Oops mossberg 702
                          Last edited by friscopaint; 12-20-2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I’ll agree with the semi auto not being the first rifle a kid learns with.
                            Go bolt action, especially if hunting rifles (generally bolt actions) are in the future. It’ll make them more familiar with the mechanics to the point it’ll be muscle memory.

Comment

I'd personally go with a true youth "mini" type 22 to start with and then as he grows and learns the basics get his something to be proud of. I started mine off with a T/C hotshot with red dot and it was fantastic. From there we got him an octogon barrel Henry for alittle nicer option and a 10/22 takedown for more of an everyday, all situation, type 22 rifle. Tons of great options out there

Comment

Get him a 410/22 over under If you can find one lightweight enough.
                                410 slugs actually work great on deer once he gets big enough to use the 410 side

Comment

Working...
                                X