Draw hunt pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw hunt pattern?

I’m sure it’s just pure luck but I’m noticing a pattern with my draw selections. Last year was my first year to put in for Laguna Atascosa for deer and archery- we won both. This year was my first time to put in for national refuge exotic and we won LRGV.
    Has anyone else noticed winning a permit on their first entry?
    I know a lot of people go years without a permit so this is not a bragging post, just noticed the connection and wanted to ask.
    That theory is not gonna help me with mule deer or antelope, too many points already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a lease until 4 years ago but entered Texas draws for Exotic rifle for years, nothing. Been entering E Postcard archery Deer the last four years cuz no lease. Up until this year since it was free, entered with at least two or three buddies. Nothing. I hunt some PHL, buddies didn't so this year only I applied. I hit 3 out of 4 EPostcard Archery Deer hunts, one was a 2nd draw. So does the theory of entering alone work out? I've drawn a doe permit for the USNF this year and probably the easiest draw to get but never before. I think sometimes we just get lucky. Poorerball and Meagermillions lottos are tonight and tomorrow, got any tips?
    Last edited by ABWGTX; 10-19-2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Your over thinking it. With the massive # of entries through the online system points don't hold the weight they used to, it's basically a crap shoot now.

Comment

I drew Richland GDE in 2004, the first time I entered. It was just luck. I have drawn several other hunts since then. Some years, like last year, I struck out, some years, like this, I drew three hunts. You just never know.

Comment

All I know is I used to get picked often when they had the old system of applying through the mail. Got picked 5 times to hunt at Laguna, once back to back, within a 6 or 7 year period Since TPWD took over the the drawn hunts with the computer system, we haven't got picked for Laguna again. I liked the old system better. Oh well.

Comment

A pattern I have seen to notice is...

Once drawn 1 time or 2, it seems it puts your ticket at the front of the line from those years on. Way more people that have been drawn numerous times and numerous times to tough draw hunts, than people who have never been drawn or just drawn 1 time 10 years ago. Just my thoughts as I have never been picked with a pile of points myself.

Comment

I have had decent luck getting drawn but I look at it as meat hunts. I use the shotgun effect sometimes putting my group in for 20+ hunts. We got 4 permits last year. This exotic only was the only one we were picked for but a turnaround has cut my apps in half for this year. I do like the old system especially where standby was concerned but I see how much more money the new system generates too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been applying for 6 years now, and I'm currently 0 for 53.
                Never been selected.

Comment

I've won something each of the past 4 years I have been applying... some folks win, some don't. It's random chance, but 100% gauranteed to not win if you dont apply! :-)

Comment

So far I have considered myself VERY lucky. In the last 5 years I have been selected for Chap Archery (3 PPs), E Postcard, & Javelina (4 PPs), as well as a Mule deer hunt (7 PPs).

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                      All I know is I used to get picked often when they had the old system of applying through the mail. Got picked 5 times to hunt at Laguna, once back to back, within a 6 or 7 year period Since TPWD took over the the drawn hunts with the computer system, we haven't got picked for Laguna again. I liked the old system better. Oh well.
                      Duh, way more people apply now, it's as easy as a click on their smart phone, and it's not just people in Texas.

Comment

18 years putting for the rifle hunts and never been picked for the rifle hunts. Yes I see a pattern too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've noticed alot of first timers get drawn then after that it kinda drops off. First year I put in I was drawn for several hunts buddy started putting in first year selected for 3 hunts next couple years nada. Same thing with my dad.

Comment

I have noticed that the more I put in for, the luckier I get. Have been drawn for one hunt per year for the last few years. Usually they are the hunts that I have 8-10 points for tho!

Comment

Never been drawn. But also have bad luck. So not surprised. Maybe one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X