Fuel gauge - again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge - again

Different boat this time. I’m obsessed with making everything work.
    Gauge stays on 3/4 full. Verified 12v and had previously ohmed the sender and thought it read ok. Rewired all connections.
    Tried a new gauge and it went to the same mark.
    Today I pulled the sender again. It’s a 6” WEMA ring on rod style. With the unit pulled and the key on I can pull the ring to the top and gauge reads full. Slowly move the sensor down the rod and the gauge will follow but stick at 3/4 full about 3 out of 5 times.
    Weak signal / bad sender or bad wiring? I’m thinking since the gauge will move full range it’s not the gauge. These senders are about $45 so not a huge risk but thought I’d check with the pros before ordering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely the sender. If you can manually move it up and the gauge reads full, the gauge is fully functional, just getting an erratic or weak signal from the sender, or the sender is getting stuck and not moving all the way up with the fuel.

Comment

Sender. You can verify with a voltmeter there at the sender.

Comment

When you cross the sender wires, does it read Full?

Comment

You should check to make sure the ohm range on the sender matches the gauge

There are 2 different ohm range senders available 0 to 180 and 30 to 240.

Comment

Also could just reset the trip odometer every time you gas up as a backup solution....

Comment

Originally posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
              Also could just reset the trip odometer every time you gas up as a backup solution....
              This is for a boat. No odometer.

Comment

Bad sender. Our modern fuel eats them up.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered last night. Will take a few days to arrive and I'll report results.

Comment

Happy to report that a new sending unit fixed me right up.
                    Now that makes me suspect that I need to look at wiring again before replacing the tachometer which is the LAST thing to fix on this boat - for now at least.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                      Happy to report that a new sending unit fixed me right up.
                      Now that makes me suspect that I need to look at wiring again before replacing the tachometer which is the LAST thing to fix on this boat - for now at least.

A wise man once said, "Never say this is the last thing to fix on a boat!"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        A wise man once said, "Never say this is the last thing to fix on a boat!"
                        There is never a last, just a next

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Was using my oscillating tool the other day, widening the opening for a stereo replacement and when I got the tool at a certain frequency, it made the tach needle start spinning. Now the tachometer and all gauges are working. Nice accident

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                            Was using my oscillating tool the other day, widening the opening for a stereo replacement and when I got the tool at a certain frequency, it made the tach needle start spinning. Now the tachometer and all gauges are working. Nice accident
                            Sounds like it is [emoji1303]

Comment

Working...
                            X