Bottle or Floor Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
    I carry a 6x6 (cut at angle/ramped) for tandem trailers. (flatbeds/5th wheel/no-dual tandems) Roll good axle up on 6x6 and get the flat on other axle off the ground, no jack needed.

Bottle jack in tool box (can be used on 6x6 if needed) for truck

If Big trailer/gooseneck/dual tandems, ect. I'll throw in a floor jack.
    This 👆

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
      Do you think that will that get under truck with the tire flat?

Comment

20 ton bottle here with several small blocks of 2x6

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
          I carry a 6x6 (cut at angle/ramped) for tandem trailers. (flatbeds/5th wheel/no-dual tandems) Roll good axle up on 6x6 and get the flat on other axle off the ground, no jack needed.
          Same here I keep a ramp in the nose of each of my cattle trailers. Then I have a Dewalt 1/2" impact I carry. We're not on the side of the road long when we pop a tire.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            bottle jack in the truck and floor jack in the shop
            Same. 20-ton Shorty bottle jack and a couple of pieces of oak 2x6. I had a blow-out on a 32' Gooseneck trailer with 14 round bales on it a few weeks ago and the bottle jack I had then was too tall. I had to move the trailer off the pavement and dig a hole to put the base of bottle jack in. Got a 4-ton floor jack in the shop.

Comment

One of these stays under my tool box for trailer flats.

The EZ Jack is an easy-to-use, safe and reliable device that functions as a jack for changing tires on dual-axle trailers. It also serves as a wheel chock or a level. It supports up to 20,000 lbs yet weighs just 11 lbs for easy handling and storage. Great Prices for the best wheel chocks from Blaylock Industries. Blaylock EZ Jack and Wheel Chock for Tandem-Axle Trailers - Aluminum - 20,000 lbs part number EZ-JACK can be ordered online at etrailer.com or call 1-800-940-8924 for expert service.

And I keep a 6 Ton bottle jack in my tool box.

Comment

I have an 8-ton bottle jack that won't fit under my Suburban.
                Gonna but a Harbor Freight floor jack and replace the casters with 5"x5" skids.
                At least in the front.

Comment

Floor jack is obviously more convenient. not sure of the weight you are pulling but i always carry both It is such a help when you can roll that under the axle or under the the truck and make it happen. Been there and dun it. Not much fun on the side of I-10
                  The 4- 6 ramp is always a good idea to have in the back of your truck

Comment

I have and carry both. But only carry the bottle nose if space gets tight in the bed.

Comment

Bottle jack will pick up a LOT more. I sometimes carry a shorty and a regular 20 ton. And a couple pieces of wood. And no, you won't have room for a 20 ton floor jack, and if you can manhandle a 20 ton floor jack in and out of a pickup, you probably don't even need a jack. (I used to have one) But if a 2 ton floor jack will do what you need, that would b OK too, less crawling around on the ground.

Comment

We have flats on a weekly basis with these **** Locust thorns and we’ve got changing tire’s down to an art form. 20 ton bottle Jack, 12” square 2” thick piece of hardwood, Jack stand and cordless impact. From flat to rolling in under 10 minutes

Comment

If you use a bottle jack, you need to be on flat, level ground and then I would put a board under the jack, that is quite a bit larger than the base of the jack to keep it from sinking in the ground. At times they are great, but most of the time on the side of the road, they are not a good idea.

Most small floor jacks are probably not going to be able to lift a F350 very high, be lucky to get a tire off with most. But then a full size floor jack is large and heavy. I would do some research on the subject before buying anything, as far as what is available. I would prefer a floor jack for what you are talking about, but then there are the problems with the various ones I see most of the time. I have a 20 year old floor jack, it's great in the shop, but it weighs about 100 lbs., and it takes up a bit of space, but it will lift a F350 with no problem.

I have had multiple of the little, cheap floor jacks, the only way I can get them to lift the truck high enough to remove a tire, is to stack boards under the jack or between the top of the jack and the axle.

This is a subject I don't think about much, till I take off on long road trips in my truck then I am the debate starts, should I take my shop jack or not, I hate taking it with me, but when I need a jack, it sure works a lot better than anything else I have.

I keep thinking about getting one of those tall bumper style jacks, that the off road wanna be guys all have on their Jeeps. I would probably need to modify my bumpers to use one of those jacks, but I would be able to lift the truck off the ground with no problem. But then I would be worried about the vehicle falling off the jack. I remember all the fun years ago, trying to use those old 60s and 70s bumper jacks on cars years ago. Those things were an accident waiting to happen.

Sure would be nice, if someone came out with a great solution to this problem.

Comment

Floor jack under the back seat.

Comment

I am in the bottle jack and 2x6's ramp group. Every now and then you have to get creative but this works for me.
                              I also carry a hi-lift which can help with the creativity part.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                                I carry this exact jack also. Have used on 2500 and works great. When we haul trailers more than an hour away I toss in a floor jack and an impact for pure speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X