Recurring Water In Lower Unit - Repaired Twice Already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurring Water In Lower Unit - Repaired Twice Already

I’ve got a 90 HP Yamaha 2 stroke I’ve had repaired twice in the last two years for water intrusion of the lower unit. For the record it was repaired both times at the same mechanic whom I wouldn’t send anyone to, nor do I use anymore after finding a great mechanic in Rosenberg. I’m going to take the boat to the new mechanic but wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on what could be causing repeated failure of seals, etc to allow water to get into the lower unit?

Only 5 ways for water to get in there. Propshaft, drive shaft, shift rod, fill and overflow screws, or a crack.

Comment

I am no help but who is the mechanic in Rosenberg?

Comment

possible story is that seals leaked a little prior to the big freeze of '20. You had some water in there and it froze cracking the case. mechanic didn't test the case first and just installed new seals. twice. Never looked for the problem.

Comment

It's "usually" pretty easy to see a driveshaft seal leak or a shift rod seal leak.

Comment

Fishing line maybe,can definitely happen twice

Comment

Shift rod seal/boot

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the exact same problem and it was a very slightly bent prop shaft. It was very hard to see the bend as it was so slight. Changed it and no more leak.

Comment

Originally posted by texbama View Post
                  I am no help but who is the mechanic in Rosenberg?
                  Here is the guy I will use moving forward. Very honest and does great work.

Gary's Marine
                  (832) 363-1241

Thanks guys for the suggestions on possible issues. Going to take her in this week and hope it’s simple. Will give an update after.

Comment

I’d check the prop shaft to see if it’s bent. Assuming all the other seals are new

Comment

Originally posted by Pipeliner1 View Post
                      Fishing line maybe,can definitely happen twice
                      Sackett, Ive picked up fishing line around my prop shaft seals at least twice at Granger.

Annoyingly, once during a gate seven drop off after a hunt when Chief had line around his prop and I was cutting fishing line off his prop. Hard for me to see once its spun up and worked its way inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                        Sackett, Ive picked up fishing line around my prop shaft seals at least twice at Granger.

Annoyingly, once during a gate seven drop off after a hunt when Chief had line around his prop and I was cutting fishing line off his prop. Hard for me to see once its spun up and worked its way inside.
                        Definitely a possibility, especially with braided line, I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by D u s t y View Post
                          I’d check the prop shaft to see if it’s bent. Assuming all the other seals are new
                          Shaft runout is a real possibility.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X