Vegetarian hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegetarian hunters?

I was talking to a guy I know pretty well this week who is a vegetarian and also an avid outdoors person but has never hunted. He's somewhere around 50 years old. This guy does a lot of backpacking, camping and other outdoors stuff. He rebuilds cars in his spare time and owns a construction/remodeling business. Surprisingly he said he would like to go hunting and if he harvested something would eat it. Particularly he's interested in turkey hunting. he said he became a vegetarian bc it was easier to hook up with the hippy girls when he was young living in SoCal if he was a vegetarian lol. He had some other reasons too but doesn't have any issues with harvesting wild game for food. In fact, he has invited my boys and I to his place to hunt hogs before.

anyways, I was curious if we have any vegetarian bowhunters on here or any of you have had any experiences taking a vegetarian hunting for the first time?

If you’re gonna try and convert him take him on an Axis hunt if he's gonna eat it. A wild turkey would make me turn vegetarian.

Comment

My BIL is a Veggie-getter and leans pretty far Left. He really surprised me a number of years ago when he said he got a compound bow and started target practicing. He's yet to hunt with it, but he has gotten a 30-30 and has hog hunted with it. His Dad (my FIL) and I hunted for years and years (before his passing in '16) but my BIL never had any interest in his Dad's hobbies. Now it's guns and bows...seems things are changing.

But he still doesn't eat meat. Even though his new wife is a carnivore!

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
        I was talking to a guy I know pretty well this week who is a vegetarian and also an avid outdoors person but has never hunted. He's somewhere around 50 years old. This guy does a lot of backpacking, camping and other outdoors stuff. He rebuilds cars in his spare time and owns a construction/remodeling business. Surprisingly he said he would like to go hunting and if he harvested something would eat it. Particularly he's interested in turkey hunting. he said he became a vegetarian bc it was easier to hook up with the hippy girls when he was young living in SoCal if he was a vegetarian lol. He had some other reasons too but doesn't have any issues with harvesting wild game for food. In fact, he has invited my boys and I to his place to hunt hogs before.

anyways, I was curious if we have any vegetarian bowhunters on here or any of you have had any experiences taking a vegetarian hunting for the first time?
        There are people on this very website who believe the earth is flat, I've no doubt there are some vegiots too.

Comment

weird

Comment

I don't see a scenario where I could give up eating meat just to play doctor with women with hairy arm pits.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              If you’re gonna try and convert him take him on an Axis hunt if he's gonna eat it. A wild turkey would make me turn vegetarian.
              I love wild turkey and so does everyone that knows how to cook it. I don't eat anything but the breast. Filet it off the bone and cut it into strip taking care to remove all the tendons. Soak it in buttermilk for a few hours or overnight. Dust in flour, garlic salt and Tony's for your taste. Deep fry it as you would fish or chicken strips.
              It is to kill for...
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

I'm about 95% vegetarian, not vegan .
                Unless I go out and eat a steak, or thaw out something I killed, meat is rarely in the diet.
                I could see someone hunting and not eating meat.
                Believe it or not there are people who don't eat meat for reasons other than the PETA agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  There are people on this very website who believe the earth is flat, I've no doubt there are some vegiots too.
                  Wait.... it's not?

Comment

A veggie has entered the chat.

Comment

Thinking about it, it would be a might easier to shoot your food. You don't have to worry about scent, or movement, or camo. You just walk up and shoot it point blank. It's still rabbit food, but whatever.

Comment

I'm probably 90% vegetable's 10% meat. Thats pretty dang close to being a vegiot.

Comment

Vegetarian is an old indian word for bad hunter

Comment

Idk...think it's kinda cool that he's interested. Not saying I agree with veggie-ism, but these are the kind of people that if they like hunting, can be an overall good thing for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                              I love wild turkey and so does everyone that knows how to cook it. I don't eat anything but the breast. Filet it off the bone and cut it into strip taking care to remove all the tendons. Soak it in buttermilk for a few hours or overnight. Dust in flour, garlic salt and Tony's for your taste. Deep fry it as you would fish or chicken strips.
                              It is to kill for...
                              Adios,
                              Gary
                              I've never eaten a turkey but our new lease is covered up in them so it probably won't be long before I give it a try. Is there a difference bw a jake, tom or hen as far as how they taste goes?

Comment

Working...
                              X