No announcement yet.

“Facing Nolan” documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just watched it on Vudu. It is a documentary so not flashy but covers his baseball and family life from the time he was in 4th grade until now. You get to see just how dominating he was. Like Jack Nicklaus in golf, it isn’t only the big wins but how many times they came close. With 12 one hit games and 18 two hits games, he was flirting with so many more than his 7 no hitters. Toss in 31 three hitters. So 68 times Ryan took the mound against the best hitters in the world got 3 hits are less.

Stunning….

Comment

Want to see this one.

Another good one is the "Fastball" documentary that gives the whole story of how the pitch came about, how it's been measured over time and pitchers that throw the hardest throughout history.

Comment

I bought it on Prime a couple days ago when it became available. My wife and I are big Nolan fans. Loved it.

Comment

I'm looking forward to watching this documentary. A retired teache/coach friend of mine was a few years older than Nolan at Alvin High School...said he was just a skinny little kid as a freshman. For those of you saying he is a big ole boy; he is only 6'2' and 195 lbs.

Originally posted by Flex View Post
          Can't wait to watch this with my boys! My dad and his best friend/ teammate named me and his boy after Nolan Ryan. Used to go watch him every chance we got when he was pitching in the dome.
          Is your name Nolan or Ryan?

Comment

We took some of the kids from my son’s 8U travel team to see it on the 4th of July. Awesome movie. Can’t believe I forgot just how dominant he was. My son wants to change his number to 34 next season.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              I cant wait for that to come out. I have no other baseball hero other than Nolan
              Same

Comment

Man what a great show, dang good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Watched it over the weekend.

Made me feel like I didn't appreciate him enough when I had the chance to. Saw him pitch several times but he was just Nolan Ryan.

Comment

We just watched it. You can stream it now. It was well worth it! My entire family loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                      We just watched it. You can stream it now. It was well worth it! My entire family loved it.
                      Where did you stream from?

Comment

I'm enjoying these NR stories.

Spring training of '80 or '81 Dad took the family to Florida. My Dad was chatting with Terry Puhl when Terry saw Nolan come out of the clubhouse and head straight for his car. Terry chuckled and told my Dad "watch this". Terry yelled, "hey kids, there's Nolan Ryan". Then all the kids mobbed the guy. Apparently, Nolan didn't usually enjoy the big crowds and Puhl was playing a game of "gotcha" with Nolan.

I bumped into Nolan at his old BBQ joint in Alvin a few years back. I didn't interrupt his lunch or anything like that. But didn't realize how big a dude he was. Big broad shoulder fella.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to see Nolan Ryan pitch his 7th no hitter at the old stadium against Toronto on May 1st 1991.

He had some wicked stuff that night. He made Roberto Alomar look like a little leaguer.

“He just had that extra gear on his fastball,” said Jeff Huson, who was behind Ryan at shortstop for Texas that night. “You could hear it. And Steve Buechele, who was playing third base that night, he and I were jogging off the field after the first inning, and we just kinda looked at each other and said, ‘It’s over.’”

It was awesome. The game wasn't on TV, but people listening on the radio started to sense what was happening. The paid attendance was 33,350 but by the 8th inning Arlington Stadium was packed to capacity as people were pulling of I-30 and crashing the party.

The late Mark Holtz call of the final out was classic.

"He struck him out swinging" !!!

Watch the final 3 outs here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Arrowsmith; 08-08-2022, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                            We watched it on Amazon Prime

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                              amazon

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                                We watched it on Amazon Prime
                                Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post