property tax challenge advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

property tax challenge advice

Have any of yall used an automated valuation model (AVM) as evidence in the protest process? We refinanced last year and had an AVM appraisal done on the property in February as part of the refinance. the CAD valuation this year had a massive jump so i protested and they did an automatic settlement offer that's about $30k above what the AVM came back at. I want to reject the settlement offer and push the AVM value but i wouldn't put it past them to reject it and return to the original valuation amount. the last time i rejected the settlement offer i put together a slide deck showing varying states of disrepair of things on the property, arguing that these things would have to be accounted for (peeling wallpaper, old kitchen appliances, old carpet, severely degraded retaining wall, etc) and would lower the property value in an unpressured sale, and their representative said it wouldn't effect the value, which is entirely untrue.

so yeah, has anyone used an AVM before in a CAD property valuation protest?

Never used AVM, but I have not heard of anyone successfully fighting any CAD this year. This year was the only year we were not successful besides one other year in the last 17 years.

Comment

Get on your county CAD and get comps on your neighbors. That’s how I won my case. They want facts, not here say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

they sent over comps but no explanation on how they used them to come to their conclusion. i've heard a lot of counties are pushing back this year but i'm in denton county and apparently the CAD messed up big time and they're 3 months behind schedule. i feel like i've got a decent leg to stand on with the AVM appraisal but at the same time there's nothing keeping them from just blowing me off and going with their own made up number.

Comment

My hearing was @ 8:45, I was finally called back sometime after 10:30. It took them <5 minutes to tell me that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me. My tax valuation has gone up over $300K since we built in 2016.

Comment

I got mine lowered by $120k today- it's still higher than a giraffes arse, though.
            Take pics of repairs that need to happen with estimates. Comps are hit or miss in our current market. Anything you don't like about your subdivision, make note of it as a detractor from your value or marketability of your property.

Comment

Also don't forget, they claim your property value goes up, because of high dollar houses being built in the area of where you live. So if there are things, houses, property with a lot of junk on it, eye sores. Those in my opinion will drop your property value. So note any of those down, take that info with you.

Then if you have multiple acers, and it's not fenced, then that drops it's value, because it will not work for people wanting to put animal, goats, cattle sheep, or HORSES on the property. I found that reduces property value. Then if there are any big high lines, with a power line ally across your property, they are not supposed to tax you the full amount or at all for that area of the property, probably the same, if there is an easement on the property.

Pour quality roads to your place, would drop the property value, quite a bit, if you ask me.

If you are sitting on black clay, right now, you pretty much have to have cracks starting in your slab. Your yard and property, probably don't look too good right now.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                My hearing was @ 8:45, I was finally called back sometime after 10:30. It took them <5 minutes to tell me that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me. My tax valuation has gone up over $300K since we built in 2016.
                Not surprised, if your in Parker County...
                They are truly, the tax Nazis, of Texas...and most of the country..

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  If you are sitting on black clay, right now, you pretty much have to have cracks starting in your slab. Your yard and property, probably don't look too good right now.
                  yeah we had Ramjack come out and repair/stabilize the foundation a few years ago. that same year i used the need for foundation repair to successfully get a 20% reduction in appraised value for two years.

i was getting ready to submit the AVM as evidence and noticed on the title page it says in big bold letters not to solely use the AVM to make financial decisions, so i've decided to take the settlement offer. i checked some of my neighbor's properties and what they've got mine at with the settlement offer brings it in line with my neighbors. so objectively i don't know where i would approach this from.

maybe going forward i'll see about finding a tax attorney that negotiates group discounts for his or her clients.

i think next year the increases in interest rates and inflation i'll have a mathematical argument for a lower property value based on the availability of credit and rising cost of living.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                    Also don't forget, they claim your property value goes up, because of high dollar houses being built in the area of where you live. So if there are things, houses, property with a lot of junk on it, eye sores. Those in my opinion will drop your property value. So note any of those down, take that info with you.

Then if you have multiple acers, and it's not fenced, then that drops it's value, because it will not work for people wanting to put animal, goats, cattle sheep, or HORSES on the property. I found that reduces property value. Then if there are any big high lines, with a power line ally across your property, they are not supposed to tax you the full amount or at all for that area of the property, probably the same, if there is an easement on the property.

Pour quality roads to your place, would drop the property value, quite a bit, if you ask me.

I have highlines, drainage easement, no fence and crappy dirt roads. No junk though. I showed them all of that and it definitely helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would imagine the counties are using some form of AVM to get their property value assessments. I doubt they are sending actual appraisers to calculate the values of every single house in their respective county.

Comment

Always go to the panel or committee. Most are just tax payers like the rest of us and will listen to reason. I did all the years I argued our houses value and did very well. Pictures of every eye sore around your house works and tear their comps down.

Comment

I have been using Bettencourt tax advisers for the last 12 years. You send them the tax papers and they protest for you and they get 30% of how much the CAD lowers the tax bill. They have gotten the taxes lowered every year. I am pleased with their service.

Comment

Working...
                          X