No announcement yet.

Beware Of Prednisone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad stuff, especially for an extended period of time. My mom was born in 36 and was premature, she was a chronic asthmatic her hole life. She passed away at 58 due to a collapsed lung from an asthma attack. I am sure it was all due to the med.

Comment

Other things you need to watch out for are the high level antibiotics. I can't remember the name of what the doc gave me, but I found out the hard way that it causes muscle/tendon tears. Tore one in my calf about 2 weeks after taking the stuff. I don't go to that doc anymore.

Comment

Horrible drug for sure! My father said many times to never say never but I will Never take that crap again.

Comment

When I first started taking high blood pressure meds I lost my sense of smell. I looked it up and it was the BP meds that I was on. Told my Doc and he had never heard of such a thing. Several will do it. I have had no sense of smell for 5 years now. I guess it's gone forever.

Comment

Man I hope you get well soon. It’s too close to deer season to be dealing with vision issues.

Comment

I was told this drug is known to affect the adrenal glands and pancreas in domesticated animals. And that if the animals are on it long enough, cataracts have been noted.

I pray your vision heals and returns to normal.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Steve. Steroids were given frequently to help reduce inflammation from covid. I took Dexamethasone when I had it. I will volunteer to help you find the arrowheads while your eye heals.

Comment

What is prednisone prescribed from? What is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                    Dang Steve never knew that you were having these issues. Prayers up for a full recovery.
                    Thanks, I'll play you a set of pool one eyed and left handed. Nows your chance to win my money.

Comment

I’m 29 and have had a slight cataracts in one eye due to this since I was probably 22 or 23. I was given the eye drop for uveitis (eye problems in layman’s terms).

It hasn’t progressed since I’ve had it but that is what caused it. I wouldn’t know I had it until a follow up exam told me. Thankfully it hasn’t progressed. I’ve taken it once or twice since then for the same issue but now they have some different drops that I believe are different than pred.

But yes this can cause cataracts for those who may be prescribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                        My mother spent too many years on prednisone for Lupus. I'm convinced it caused or contributed to her multiple bouts with cancer. Side effects should be a real concern for all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My father was on prednisone as well and he had Lupus as well as Scleroderma which is a connective tissue disease that effects major organs. He ended up passing in 2017 during a heart surgery at Debakey VA hospital in Houston. Took 11 days for him to pass. I wonder if the medications had any hand in his condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did a 7 day course of prednisone last October. Nothing happened but in the last few weeks I’ve noticed my right eye getting a little blurry.

Could that be the cause or has too much time passed?

Comment

That’s not good ! No one knows what side effects certain meds have until you take them. Hope you get it worked out soonest !

Comment

The questions are:
                              Knowing only what you knew back when you had covid, would you have NOT taken the prednisone if the doctor told you, "Cataracts are one of the potential side effects of steroids." Hard to know the answer to that question, isn't it? I mean, there were people dying from covid, right? What if the steroid was going to be the difference between surviving and not? Or between prolonged, severe illness with the possibility of permanent issues?
                              At the time, steroids were part of the accepted treatment for covid.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
                                The questions are:
                                Knowing only what you knew back when you had covid, would you have NOT taken the prednisone if the doctor told you, "Cataracts are one of the potential side effects of steroids." Hard to know the answer to that question, isn't it? I mean, there were people dying from covid, right? What if the steroid was going to be the difference between surviving and not? Or between prolonged, severe illness with the possibility of permanent issues?
                                At the time, steroids were part of the accepted treatment for covid.
                                I should state I did not have covid, I had a suspected torn rotator cuff

Comment

Working...
                                X