X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any JD Techs on now?

I'm at work.
    I'm not ag tech

Bosses kid replaced the starter on a 4020. Now it won't crank. Its been converted to 12V

He says he put wires back on in the same spot.....
    There's 7 wires
    Tiny one goes on Solenoid
    2 big ones are from each battery
    There's also 2 eyelets each has 2 wires those are hooked to same hot post as battery wires.
    Hot post shows bright light with test light
    So does the key, push button start switch input and output.
    However when i touch the small post on the solenoid it's dim.

I tried a jumper wire to bypass the start button. Just sparked and nothing.
    I jump hot post to ground with key on it cranks.

It used to start no problem he says.
    I'm thinking there is a bad wire or connection or a wrong connection.

Which wires go where on the starter?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Two thoughts. The solenoid has to be grounded and the start wire to the solenoid might be on the wrong post.

Comment

Did he take a picture of everything before he started? Steve Jobs has saved me tons of angst over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
        Did he take a picture of everything before he started? Steve Jobs has saved me tons of angst over the years.
        Nope

Here's 2 I took of the new one

Comment

Black probably shouldn't be hot. Black is usually ground.

Comment

On your solenoid you should have a large cable coming from the battery that will always have voltage. The other large post/wire will go to the starter. You should have a small wire that comes from the ignition and has voltage when the key is turned. When this has voltage it closes the connections between the two large posts and put voltage on the post/wire going to the starter. The solenoid will either be grounded by one of the bolts that holds it on or a separate wire. I am not sure why two small wires in your pictures. Hope this helps. Not a JD guy but that is how solenoids work.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Black probably shouldn't be hot. Black is usually ground.

It is?[emoji848]

Im also not sure why you have two control wires on the same post of your solenoid. The starter should be grounded via contact to the frame, therefore no ground wire on starter or solenoid. Only two hots for power (big cables on top post) and control wires (should be black for hot) on the small post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Look at this and see if it help any.

New 12 Volt Starter, 12 Volt 1 Wire Alternator, Alternator Mounting Bracket, Battery Cables & Wiring, Solenoid & Instruction Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut 99 View Post
                  Look at this and see if it help any.

https://www.agkits.com/john-deere-24...x#.Yr4_BC-B0UE
                  I saw something similar on a different website.
                  I haven't been able to find a starter relay on the tractor yet.

The guy says that this starter is different from the one he took off, as it doesn't have a second solenoid on the side of the solenoid.

I'm not sure what he's talking about. It could be there's a starter relay on the side of the old starter.

We'll be tackling that this AM

Comment

How about a pic or 2 of the entire starter/solenoid
                    Last edited by Walker; 07-01-2022, 06:27 AM.

Comment

I'm no help but I will be Caption Oblivious!
                      All Ways Take Pictures before you start!

Comment

Im betting that small eyelet wire with yellow on it is the key wire. And its on the ground. it needs to go to the little wire on solenoid.

Other 2 big eyelet wires should go on the hot top side big nut. Or if that is the only small terminal then take the ground wire thats black off. But my guess was that came from the starter people that way so it should be right. Im with the others we need a full view of the starter and solenoid. Still i think that small lug and the combination of wires that are on it is the problem.

Comment

I got a little better look at the picrs. The wire (black) from the starter to the small post on the solenoid is in the wrong place. It should go frome the starter to the non hot battery port of the solenoid. The starter switch signal wire goes to the small solenoid post.

Comment

Here's pics of the old one

Comment

I didn't take pics of what i did. I did put a Starter Relay on it. It fired right up.

I put the yellow in the small post of the relay
                              Brown & Blue I put on one of the big posts on the relay.
                              Made a jumper from the other big post on the relay to the small post on the solenoid.
                              Than made a another jumper from the Big post of the solenoid to the safe big post on relay as brown & Blue.
                              Put both Positive cable from batteries to big post on solenoid

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-01-2022, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X