Ammo prices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammo prices...

I know, I know... millions of threads. This is nothing more than a repeat. I paid $200 for 80 rounds of 6.5 PRC around Christmas time. It was a round I was unfamiliar with.

I happened to go to Texas Gun Expereince in Grapevine the other day to kill time. They had 180gr core lokt 30.06...the last time I bought it, it was $22 for 20 rounds. Now it's $50. Also during the shortage I bought Hornady ELD Match 6.5 grendel for $15 a box at Academy. Texas Gun Experience had it for $45.

I don't shoot much, and I probably never will with prices like that. I believed yall, but now it has hit home.

Is reloading still just as bad? Is it more economic?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Ammo prices...

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
    I know, I know... millions of threads. This is nothing more than a repeat. I paid $200 for 80 rounds of 6.5 PRC around Christmas time. It was a round I was unfamiliar with.

I happened to go to Texas Gun Expereince in Grapevine the other day to kill time. They had 180gr core lokt 30.06...the last time I bought it, it was $22 for 20 rounds. Now it's $50. Also during the shortage I bought Hornady ELD Match 6.5 grendel for $15 a box at Academy. Texas Gun Experience had it for $45.

I don't shoot much, and I probably never will with prices like that. I believed yall, but now it has hit home.

It’s highway robbery.

You could buy a budget setup for $600 to $700 and spend half that on ammo to find something it likes if you had to go though 4 to 6 boxes.

Walmart had savage axis for under $100 at one point in the last two years. I bet you couldn’t buy two high quality boxes of ammo for what you bought the rifle for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just bought 4 boxes of core lokts this weekend. $25 was highest price per box.

I reload but I've pretty well decided I'll shoot factory ammo until I can't anymore and then I'll dive into my components

I became a .22 shooting fool during Obama's reign and still am if I'm going to burn ammo.

Comment

While I like and shoot at Texas Gun Experience once in a while, I always thought their ammo prices were kind of high.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R 2 View Post
          While I like and shoot at Texas Gun Experience once in a while, I always thought their ammo prices were kind of high.
          This makes me feel better!

Comment

With ammo prices this high, along with other prices on about everything really high too, does anyone believe the “official” inflation rate of about 8.5%?

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
              With ammo prices this high, along with other prices on about everything really high too, does anyone believe the “official” inflation rate of about 8.5%?
              Based on my experience with ammo increasing 150% to 200% over the course of 2 to 5 years, no.

I'm not a "prepper" but I have a garden that I'm supplementing the grocery bill with It's bad.

Comment

There are still places around that dont sell ammo for ridiculous prices. I was close to asking about the creedmoor ammo in the classifieds thinking it was decent. Then a quick google popped 20 different flavors from 22 to 60 bucks a box. The ammo in question was still available for under 40 a box. There was grendel 123 grain for less than 45 also

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  There are still places around that dont sell ammo for ridiculous prices. I was close to asking about the creedmoor ammo in the classifieds thinking it was decent. Then a quick google popped 20 different flavors from 22 to 60 bucks a box. The ammo in question was still available for under 40 a box. There was grendel 123 grain for less than 45 also
                  Yup, but we are definitely at a "new normal" for pricing .

Comment

Cabelas had the 3006 165gr core lok accutip for like $38.
                    How is the recoil on 6.5 prc compared to 3006?

Comment

I got a new caliber at the worst time possible and had to hunt hard for ammo for 2 or 3 months. Bought most of it before prices got so high. Also got back into reloading.
                      Prices for reloading components are higher than they used to be, especially primers, which have been real hard to find.
                      You can get pretty good 6.5 CM factory loads, but I am able to reload them, and get a more accurate load, at less than half the factory ammo price, even with the increased component prices.
                      Might not be worth starting to reload if you don't shoot a caliber very much, or if there are good factory loads available.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post

Some shops are still price gouging and some aren't.

Walmart last night had green box 30-06 and 308 both for $24 and change. The Fusion 308 was $34 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pjiwaxfactor View Post
                          How is the recoil on 6.5 prc compared to 3006?
                          The 6.5 PRC is fairly light as far as recoil goes. Before I purchased the rifle, I did research and found it was comparable to a 7mm-08.

Comment

Reloading…[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

It has taken months to find what I need for a 300 prc. Powder is crazy hard to find if you’re shooting h1000 or retumbo. I got extremely fortunate on the powder I found. Primers are stupid hard to find as well.

Berger 215’s in .308 are like a fairy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                              Reloading…[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

It has taken months to find what I need for a 300 prc. Powder is crazy hard to find if you’re shooting h1000 or retumbo. I got extremely fortunate on the powder I found. Primers are stupid hard to find as well.

Berger 215’s in .308 are like a fairy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I bought primers so long ago that I can't freaking find them now that actually found some powder. Not joking, got a bunch of small rifle in the safe but I can't find the large pistol large rifle, and some magnum primers I bought here and there over a year ago. I don't reload yet, but I'm trying to start, probably die of old age first and have to pass all the stuff down to the kids.

Comment

Working...
                              X