Beginning Traditional Archery with Family- Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I've been wanting to try traditional archery for a very long time. My daughter (11 years old) is very interested as well and I'd love to get her into it. I recently bought a Martin Savannah Reflex Longbow 62" AMO and 50# @ 28 off this sight for myself. I'm looking for advice on what to get my daughter to begin shooting. I don't mind spending a little for a decent setup, but I'm unsure how to go about setting her up with the right traditional bow. Do I go recurve or long bow? How do I determine what spine arrows to use, etc......

I did try reading through the sticky's at the top of the page, but most of it is links to info off this site......and my ADDHD kicks in....

Check out Three Rivers Archery - they are a great trad resource and they have a selection of youth bows:

I have always been pleased with their customer service. Give them a call and explain what you are looking for and how much you are wanting to spend. They will also help in selecting arrows

Comment

Don’t over think it for a kid. Just get something they can handle and let them have fun. They grow too fast to get too worried about arrow spine. Just get her a riser that fits her hand and get a few sets of limbs that grow with her as she gets stronger.

I’m in Sugar Land and have a 9yr old son. He has two risers and three sets of limbs. Y’all are welcome to come by and try his out to get an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sarrels has long bows for kids based on their age. Just picked one up for my 5 year old!

Comment

FWIW, my first suggestion is to get a low poundage bow (15-20) for an 11 year old so she can learn form and not struggle drawing the bow more than a dozen times. Depending on your budget, it need not be an expensive first bow.

My second is to connect with an NAA instructor and get your daughter several lessons to get her started right. Shooting well and teaching well are 2 different skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Kids can be fickle. Ask me how I know...

A Youth Samick Polaris takedown can be purchased from 3Rivers (link above by jerp) for an inexpensive price. These are what they use in scout camps around the world. Easy to string, etc. With a flipper rest you can use vaned arrows from academy... with a $5 Velcro rest, you can then refletch some arrows from academy with feathers.

the age, size charts on the website are pretty good. She will grow out of it when she hits a growth spurt...

Comment

Good luck Sackett.

Keep it fun and light...popping ballons is always exciting for my kiddos. If I get one shot from my 5 yo daughter...Im happy....and if she doesnt hit the ballon...well we just take the arrow and stab the ballon anyhow.

Comment

I nailed-it making a traditional Czech recipe my Mom (makes) and Grandmother (made) using a elk roast.

Meat dish is called Svíčková

And bread dumplings are knedlíky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And I thought it was blueberry pancakes!!! [emoji1787]

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    And I thought it was blueberry pancakes!!! [emoji1787]

Bisch

Mmmmm. I like blueberry pancakes. [emoji846]

Gary

Comment

Reminds me of an Ol’ Army recipe called SOS...$h!+ On a Shingle.

Looks like a dang traditionally awesome meal for some youngins to make a traditionally horrible mess. Id have to scoot the ankle biter away out of splatter range. Yum.

Comment

Some bow suggestions

Do not overestimate draw weight. Better to start too low and move up FAST if you find your daughter is stronger. Kids can lose enthusiasm from work that is too hard, or not getting something "newer and faster" often enough.

1. Polaris takedown, Quintessential limbs are 12#. Start with simple form practice, shoot no further than 10 yds, and start at 5yds (Spring Creek Park, Tomball TX has 5-50.). Tons of step up limbs you can add on here to get to higher weights as needed. Buy these, and another set at ~16#, move up fast!
                        2. REALLY nice one piece, Damon Howatt 13# at 26" "little john" at vintagearchery.org site.
                        3. keep eye open on ebay for a Browning Mohawk. Gorgeous little bows, 54" I think, come up every now and then. Go for 15# or so.

While folks have said "get cheap arrows, etc" on other forums, I would personally recommend moving to carbon as soon as your daughter can keep most arrows on target butts. Skylon Brixxon arrows come in some amazingly light spines, with light tips, build a dozen for about $75 if you do your own fletching. It is far more fun when your arrows go more or less flat, my daughter hated the "droops" associated with heavy aluminum arrows.

Shooting balloons is great fun. Shooting balloons filled with corn starch more fun- smoke flies.

Comment

Originally posted by texasproud11 View Post
                          Sarrels has long bows for kids based on their age. Just picked one up for my 5 year old!
                          Does Sarrels have a new website? The link I found doesn’t seem to work (sarrelsarchery.com).

Comment

Originally posted by equin View Post
                            Does Sarrels have a new website? The link I found doesn’t seem to work (sarrelsarchery.com).

I don’t think he has a website any more. You can find him in Facebook though!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Thanks, Bisch.

Comment

Working...
                              X